LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Sexy Volvo...
PostPosted: September 13, 2019, 5:02 pm 

July 2019

So the 1800 finally comes back from paint and pushes the 1959 Berkeley restomod over to the side of the house..

All effort is now on the 1800 to get it back together and pretty; not only put it back into daily driver service, but also have her ready to show at the Volvo National meet in San Luis Obispo on September 21 (more on that soon as yet another long-term goal seems to have changed)..

These pics show work in the trunk- rust repair that I had not previously chased on the car, and I ran out of time to knock out before she went to paint this past June..

Have to be sooooo careful working around this new, pretty, expensive paint :shock: ... The trunk floor had some odd rust issues.. it would rust in little, concentrated areas (whereas rust usually sort of starts and spreads).. In this case, I had a little patch here and a little patch there.. Normally I'm one to rip the whole panel out, but this one seemed to call for spot fixing, so that's what she got.. Topped it with POR15 and undercoating up underneath.. It's not pretty, but it should be good for another 50 years :cheers:

*Also note the little one-off bracket (red circle) to join the rear panel to the rearmost 'rib'/trunk latch support.. I did this to stiffen things up in the back as I've worked in a license plate recess, and was therefor allowed to grab onto that big rear panel and anchor things together a bit more solidly that Volvo could, as they had nowhere to anchor to that big panel in OEM form..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: September 18, 2019, 10:55 am 

August/September 2019

I color sanded the car and I'm not entirely happy with the way it is turning out.. She's the daily driver, so I've decided to go ahead and buff/polish what I have and likely redo the wet sand job next summer.. this paint is nice, and once I get it flattened out and remove all of the sanding scratches (that I put there :roll: ), it will be top notch..

In the interim, she gets reassembled and put into service (a little prematurely as the parking lot pic indicates :lol: ), which is what has been happening over these last 2 months (this build log is almost caught up to real time again)..

I'm entered to show her this Saturday (9-21) at the Volvo National meet near Pismo Beach, but plans have changed.. The car is now pretty much ready, but my wife's birthday is this weekend.. long story short.. she loves live music, and a regional concert popped up that is on the same day as the Volvo show.. cars come and cars go, but my wife seems to be a permanent fixture, so I'm off to celebrate her birthday in her way, which means no Volvo show this year..

The pics show a bit of reassembly.. I didn't take many pics as this is pretty tedious model/make specific stuff.. One area needing a bit of fiddling is refitting the rear bumpers as I've 'separated' them (their OEM design is to link up).. they need a little trimming here and there as I tuck them a bit, and a little patch piece (patch not shown) to cover the hole once used to connect them.. I'm also raising them about 2" to better flow with the new license plate recess, and to help hide the side/quarter panel mount points.. Again, model/make stuff, but part of my big picture rear panel redesign, so I thought I'd include it..

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 18, 2019, 6:17 pm 

Looking good.
Congrats on successfully moving.
I hope you and the family are happily settling into your new jobs/schools.

I will keep an eye out for the Volvo as I drive through SM everyday on my way to the base.

PostPosted: September 19, 2019, 8:36 am 
We are Slotus!

You captured a Sharpie! Congratulations! Hold onto it tightly, or it'll vaporize... And turn up on a loading dock in Alaska or something... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 2, 2019, 11:15 am 

10-2-19

A few pics of the rear of the car as it's now come together post-paint..

The lines are to help illustrate bumper changes from the stock location.. I decided to run the OEM rear bumpers (the early 'long' style that the car came with, instead of modding them into a Volvo prototype rear cowhorn bumper of sorts)..

Anyway, I raised the rear bumpers 2" above stock, and I rotated the spear tip downward a few degrees to make the bumper run parallel to the body (where it previously looked sort of droopy toward the back, like the bumper was sagging at the rear end)..

This very slight mod also helped to hide where the front edge of the bumper mounts/goes through the quarter panel-- now that mount is virtually invisible as the raised bumper now covers it.. A compromise to get this was that now the rear panel mounts jusssst show up under the bumper at the rear panel (yellow arrows in pic #2)

Overall, I don't think anyone would notice the changes, but I like what I've gained with them :D

--ccrunner

Last edited by ccrunner on October 2, 2019, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 2, 2019, 11:30 am 

..a few last details on the rear..

I re-contoured/ tucked the bumpers in about 3/8" -but it's almost impossible to see in the pics (yellow).. Again, so slight that I think only a hard-core 1800 owner would notice.

Also, I fabbed in a 3rd brake light that lives in the 'new' body recess above the plate (blue arrows)... it's 12"x 1/4" (from Custom Dynamics).. very hard to see until it's lit up (it helps that it's red on a red body), but when lit, it's BRIGHT :shock:

PostPosted: October 2, 2019, 4:56 pm 

September 29, 2019

Is it ok to brag a bit?

I never want to be the d*ck that endlessly talks about his many and vast accomplishments- I hate that guy.. a bit of humility goes a long way.. So, let me take a minute to tell you about how great I am! :lol:

Kidding aside, I was absolutely floored when my little sweetie Volvo was chosen for first place at this last weekend's Nipomo Invitational Car Show!! (as selected by the show's Steering Committee .. there were of course many other awards/categories too; best Chevy/Ford/Rod/Paint/etc). This was an interesting show in that it is hosted at a really nice golf course here on the coast, and it's invite only... I was super flattered to not only be 'invited' (la-dee-dah!), but to end up chosen for an award by the steering committee?! -Wow!! :shock: Was it the motor swap? The shiny chrome and paint? That it was the only of it's kind there? The decision to run old-school steel wheels? The handsome and charismatic owner? I guess we'll never know..

In my spirit and in my heart, I'm more interested in the people that participate and attend these things; making my award a genuine happy surprise.. When the awards were being handed out down the hill at the tennis courts, I was oblivious of the ceremony taking place, as I was up at the car, blabbing with a married couple about how their 30-year marriage was started when he approached her to buy her red 63 P1800, one that was just like mine. Great people, great story.. In the end, he ended up with so much more than an old Volvo... I asked, and he never told, if he was first drawn to her or the car.. as he pointed out, she's still here, and their old Volvo is not :wink:

I really love driving these old time machines.. people are often compelled to come up to you, a perfect stranger, and tell you all about how your model/make/year had a very memorable role in their life, and seeing it here, and now, today, has brought forth a wave of long-forgotten memories.. What a cool thing these magical old cars can do :)

So I won an award! When she was banged up that rainy night last January, I could not have seen this coming.. She's come back together at a higher level than I thought she would.. I'm so proud of her, my little sweetie Volvo.. The award isn't the thing, although it's so flattering to have, and I love it :) ...I'll hang this new plaque on the garage wall for sure, then it's on to fix, or fiddle, or fab something else on a list that never ends..

What a rewarding, gratifying hobby :cheers:

--ccrunner

Last edited by ccrunner on August 22, 2020, 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: October 2, 2019, 5:10 pm 

Congratulations Dean! Well deserved.

PostPosted: October 2, 2019, 7:46 pm 

We do all this for our vision of our cars. It is icing on the cake when others appreciate the culmination of our vision and efforts.

Well done and congratulations! :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 4, 2019, 5:42 am 

ccrunner wrote:
September 29, 2019

Was it the motor swap? The shiny chrome and paint? That it was the only of it's kind there? The decision to run old-school steel wheels? The handsome and charismatic owner? I guess we'll never know..

--ccrunner

We do know!! It's all of the above! You have done a great job on this build. :thmbsup:

Jonathon

PostPosted: October 4, 2019, 8:22 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
We do know!! It's all of the above! You have done a great job on this build.
Yeah, what he said!
It's a great feeling to have your hard work and creativity acknowledged by your peers. At least that's what I've read... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 4, 2019, 10:58 am 

Very sincerely, thank you guys 8)

This is the most interesting hobby.. I've been at it my whole life (as I suspect most of us here have).. For years all I could afford was rusted-out junk that only I (and other hard-core car guys) loved. I daily drove my beat-down 53 F-100 for 17 years.. most of those were the broke-down, 'ugly' years, but damn I loved that truck. I grinned every time I climbed in it, thinking to myself how lucky I was to have such a cool ride (9 out of 10 people surveyed thought it was in fact 'rolling junk'). It wasn't until the end of my stewardship that I could really, truly restore her and make her pretty.. she turned out so nice.. Ugly or pretty, that truck brought me joy the whole while I had her; except when she broke down, which was often, but even then she was teaching me.. to her credit, she only broke down in minor ways each time, and I was able to do a roadside fix.. she was never hooked to a tow truck- always got me home.. fun times :cheers:

Now I'm blessed to be in a place in life where the cars/projects end up nice enough that even non-car people notice and give the occasional thumbs up, or engage in a pleasant gas-pump conversation..

Surely we're intrinsically motivated to lavish our time and love on this old steel and glass... but it's especially cool when these cars go out into the world and have a positive impact.. So fun :D

--ccrunner

PostPosted: December 3, 2019, 5:24 am 

I thought you might appreciate this.

Attachment:
image1.jpeg

Jonathon

PostPosted: December 4, 2019, 10:58 am 
We are Slotus!

Cool picture! I recognize the Cobra. (And if you didn't, resign from this forum immediately!) The Volvo of course, and the Sunbeam. I even recognize the mid-fifties Ford wagon and what might be a Ford Galaxie or a Fairlane that's partially shown in the upper left. But what is the car in front of the Volvo??? Can't see the famous Alfa Romeo grill, but the lines look sorta Alfa-ish... Or is it some thoroughly molested Porsche under the swoopy bodywork? Karmann Ghia on steroids and/or LSD??? Or???

Peace, Love and "Car Trivia"-
JDK

PostPosted: December 4, 2019, 11:03 am 

Quote:
Can't see the famous Alfa Romeo grill, but the lines look sorta Alfa-ish

I think it's an Alfa Giulietta Sprint Zagato, sporting some aerodoomanic headlamp covers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 44  Next