LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: G10 Middy build
PostPosted: September 26, 2015, 11:34 pm 

That shift knob came out pretty good too I think. 2 1/4 inch hole saw and cut two circles out of a piece of walnut, and one circle out of aluminum. Drilled a few other holes in the aluminum to hold the epoxy and glued it all together and clamped it with a bolt through the works. When it set, I chucked the bolt into the drill press and took a rasp to it, then a file, then sand paper. When it was shaped, I bored the bottom to take a nut and epoxied it in, and then flush set a nickel in the top. I figure a 5 speed should have a nickel, right? And I even found a birth year nickel.

TALON

PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 2:19 pm 

Couple questions, wish list stuff:

I am looking towards Christmas and what I need for the garage from Santa this year. As I have been truely bitten with this bug, and my "project ADD" is mostly under control now, I will be building stuff for many years to come and want to flesh out my equipment. Two things come to mind, a plasma cutter (TIG combo maybe"?, and a small benchtop lather/mill.

I don't have 220 in the garage yet, but I can wire it in if needed. Space is a premium. I have little if any experience with either, but I'm not afraid to learn stuff. I'm not cheap, but I do tend to squeak when I walk.

Which would get the most use? New or used? Size? Brand? What to look for/avoid? Where to look?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts. . .

TALON

PostPosted: October 2, 2015, 6:41 pm 

My plasma cutter is my favourite tool/toy. I have had it over 10 years now and it makes it so much quicker and easier to cut complex shapes in steel. I keep a couple of lengths of 1/2" x 1" to use as straight edges and then it is the fastest way to cut a clean straight line with minimal sanding.
Cheers,
Stewart.

PostPosted: August 13, 2018, 6:32 am 

Hi Talon - I know I'm very late to the party but I've been learning such a lot from LocostUSA build logs... so I'm really sorry that this one just kinda stopped...
Hope you're well... MangPong.

PostPosted: September 18, 2022, 6:51 pm 

They, life got in the way, sorry.

This project is coming back to the top of the priorities soon, so I thought I'd look and see what was on the board here. First, I couldn't get logged in, and I couldn't find a way to reset my password, so I created a new one. As I find my build log, I see that the pictures have all been removed. Jeez, it has only been 4 years since I posted.

Is there any way to get my pictures back in the log? For archival purposes and historical perspective, it would make sense to not lose the pictures? I know the costs of storage and stuff, so maybe not feasible?

Anyway, I hope to get back to this when the snow flies this winter.

TALON

PostPosted: September 20, 2022, 4:12 pm 

Also, it appears that the pictures are in there now. I guess patience really is a virtue. . .

TALON

PostPosted: September 20, 2022, 11:41 pm 

I had bought a Metro with G10 for a similar "Terrapin" inspired build but just sold it.
Trying to cut down from twenty three cars/projects to only six, probably eight.
I am still holding onto a G10 1.0 engine just in case I live long enough to get around to putting it into something like a MG Midget or Morris Minor.
I had hoped you might have a wiring delete list so that I may retain the FI and delete the rest but I see you went with a carb mod.
There were factory turbo versions of the Metro, pretty sure they used lower compression pistons or head.
Early Geo engines used a carb, something similar to Weber DGV.
I have given up my Terrapin/Geo build but I hope you get this on the road next spring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15