LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: June 15, 2015, 6:25 pm 
Always Moore!

Something is wrong with the force - my Sprite blew a head gasket last month and my friend also had one go in his Sprite. Hopefully our A-Series head gasket woes are behind us. :cheers:

PostPosted: June 16, 2015, 8:25 am 

And I can't even blame it on Joseph Lucas!

I was watching Project Binky last night and saw so many things to do. The gas cylinders replacing the hood prop rod looks good. After watching Nik make seat mounts I'm giving mine a rethink. My new door cards have switches for electric windows....

Looks like the new car gets pushed back a little further.

PostPosted: June 21, 2015, 3:49 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
And I can't even blame it on Joseph Lucas!
Awww, sure you can... It's a British car, whotthehell... Or, you could do like we do here at Team Slotus and blame the HamDip. Either one works just fine. :twisted:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 22, 2015, 8:53 am 

No progress to report. Work on the house chews up all my free time. I'm just putting a reference here for fiberglass so I can find it later. Not that I'm planning on making the body out of fiberglass. The plan is still to learn the English wheel but sometimes plans change...

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12106&start=90

It is similar to what Gonzo did, but I won't be forgetting that. :shock:

PostPosted: July 22, 2015, 1:16 pm 

This is a cool build you have going here! Don't worry too much about slow progress... you've already built a locost and also have a classic Mini, so you've pretty much already won at the whole car game. This is just the bonus round :cheers:

PostPosted: October 23, 2015, 2:09 pm 

No progress to report, I just want to put this link here so I can find it later. I'm using the Miata subframe but haven't decided on spring placement. I kinda like this setup.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496&start=15
Just as back in the spring, work on my house, my daughter's house, work on the Mini and the rest are taking up my time. Not to worry, fall is here so the outdoor projects will stop soon. Anytime I feel guilty about not working on the new car I take the locost out for a drive and feel better.

PostPosted: October 23, 2015, 4:16 pm 

Run87k wrote:
Anytime I feel guilty about not working on the new car I take the locost out for a drive and feel better.

That sounds like a good strategy. Unfortunately I sold my completed Locost to fund my current project, or else I would have done the same. :D

PostPosted: October 23, 2015, 7:30 pm 

Hi Mark, you really should build another car. I hear it's quicker the second time around. Maybe a +4 as in seats, not extra inches. :D

Hard to believe mine's been on the road, trouble free, for five years. As much fun as it is to drive it's even better as a stress reliever. After all this time I'm still amazed by the attention and comments it gets. And when a cutie leans over the car and says "I love your car" I definitely forget whatever I might have been muttering about before the drive. :D

Ron

PostPosted: October 23, 2015, 11:03 pm 

Hey Ron,

Not sure if you picked up on it, but my current project is another scratch built car:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17167

Yes, I remember my Locost being a fantastic stress reliever, and yes, it did get a lot of attention. My favorite drives were taking it down to White Rock Beach.

That being said, it couldn't have gone to a better owner. I sold it to a guy on the island who races it regularly. I even rode shotgun in it while he was autocrossing it! Good times.

Mark

PostPosted: October 28, 2015, 11:45 am 

Just saving the link to the brake drum forge in case I want to tap into my inner McGuyver.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16123&start=30

PostPosted: October 28, 2015, 11:35 pm 

Im going to have to go through this whole thread, but this is definitely BAD ASS. I have a similar idea with my gazelle build. Screw the norm, lets get crazy

-1988 BMW 325i -the daily
-1968 Datsun Fairlady Roadster - the weekend canyon car

PostPosted: October 29, 2015, 9:16 am 

I like what you are doing with the Gazelle. I really like the idea of using the classic ladder frame to give the project a more period feel. The front suspension needs to be carefully chosen since it will be out front where everyone will see it. The Beetle front torsion bar setup just screams kit car. Personally I think the grill overpowers the front of the car. I'd cut it down both in height and width. Maybe just width. The body would need to be changed to go with it. But that's just me, I seem to like cutting up fiberglass and glassing it back together.

I knew I was going to do this project for years before I started so I kept my eyes open at car shows and museums for features that appealed to me. Also once people found out what I was doing I got lots of suggestions for body styles. If you look at cars from that era you can get ideas of how they were styled and make detail changes that will give your car a more authentic look.

PostPosted: October 29, 2015, 12:12 pm 

Run87k wrote:
I was watching Project Binky last night...
I read that statement.... Hmmmm What's Project Binky??

4 episodes later.... at work.... :oops:

That show is like crack for Locosters!!! I hate you!! :D

K "Cuppa" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: October 29, 2015, 12:49 pm 

botbasher wrote:
That show is like crack for Locosters!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: October 29, 2015, 7:40 pm 

Run87k wrote:
I like what you are doing with the Gazelle. I really like the idea of using the classic ladder frame to give the project a more period feel. The front suspension needs to be carefully chosen since it will be out front where everyone will see it. The Beetle front torsion bar setup just screams kit car. Personally I think the grill overpowers the front of the car. I'd cut it down both in height and width. Maybe just width. The body would need to be changed to go with it. But that's just me, I seem to like cutting up fiberglass and glassing it back together.

I knew I was going to do this project for years before I started so I kept my eyes open at car shows and museums for features that appealed to me. Also once people found out what I was doing I got lots of suggestions for body styles. If you look at cars from that era you can get ideas of how they were styled and make detail changes that will give your car a more authentic look.

I 100% agree with you on the front suspension, in fact Im only using the Gazelle body and the only part from the Beetle will be the center tunnel, nothing else. I also hate the squared off shape of the rear and plan on doing a tear drop shape, so seeing how you are shaping yours definitely puts a smile on my face.

I had a chance to go through the entire thread today, simply amazing work and Im seriously excited about your build and it gives me a lot of motivation to get back to mine.

Two things I may recommend.
#1 Add a book to your collection: "Art Deco and British Car Design: The Airline Cars of the 1930s" by Barrie Down

This book was borrowed from none other than Dr Simeone of the Simeone Collection in your neck of the woods. I was visiting his collection ( WOW ), got to chatting with him and when I told him how I was looking for inspiration for my Gazelle project he disappeared and returned with the book and simply said, "Give it back when you're done." A year later and I had to get my own copy so I could send his back. What a great guy he was and what a collection he has! Which brings me to #2

#2 Go to the Simeone Collection in Philly. Id go on a Demo day (though those days are probably over for the year). I went on the Jaguar day and got to hear them run around the parking lot. Such a cool experience!

-1988 BMW 325i -the daily
-1968 Datsun Fairlady Roadster - the weekend canyon car

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next