LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: December 27, 2014, 11:58 am 

Congratulations. That's a really good result for a first effort all on your own.

One of the experienced metal shapers in a class I took told me, "Everything always looks like crap until the last 30 minutes." He was joking a little, of course, but there's truth in his jest. It's in the final details that the piece turns out the way you want. You've got plenty of time to get there.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 27, 2014, 3:24 pm 

Very cool. One day I want to build something similar.

PostPosted: December 27, 2014, 8:39 pm 

Thanks guys, it turned out better than I thought it would. I didn't take long at all. It took longer to cut out a nice circle than it did to form it.

DreadSovereign wrote:
Very cool. One day I want to build something similar.

The side shot not so much but the top view is very close to what I have in mind.

I worked a few hours on the car yesterday and today but if I took a picture it wouldn't look any different than the one I posted a few days ago. I sat and looked at it, took the fenders and hardboard off, cut a bit and put it back together. And then I did that again and again. I see small things I want to change then after I do it, I see more. But that's the whole point of this phase, get the ideas out there before doing it in metal. I think I have the front fenders on the way I want so tomorrow I will mock up the hood.

PostPosted: December 28, 2014, 4:57 pm 

Panel Craft slideshow. Working on a similar style.
http://www.panel-craft.com/slideshows.php
I find it interesting to see where they break the bodys into pieces.

Ron

PostPosted: December 28, 2014, 8:36 pm 

STranger 7 wrote:
Panel Craft slideshow. Working on a similar style.

Amazing work. I loved the detail photos, I'll watch it a few more times to pick up more. I really like the shape of the nose. I can see there will be some fiberglass work needed on my front fenders to get a similar shape.

PostPosted: December 30, 2014, 7:59 pm 

I've been busy with the white hardboard, posterboard and white duct tape.

Attachment:
IMG_0459.JPG

I also used some black posterboard and chrome duct tape to make a grille mockup.

Attachment:
IMG_0458.JPG

Unfortunately I've run out of room in my garage and had to put the build up against the French doors and they open in so I can't look at the front view.

Attachment:
IMG_0456.JPG

I can see from the mockup that I'm going to need more curve to the panels because it looks more like a street rod than a sports car right now.

Attachment:
IMG_0453.JPG

Next up is the door opening and seat position.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 9:55 am 

This is getting very interesting. A Locost coach builder! Man, what will we think of next here at Loco-World? Move over Steve Moal, we is coming for you, English wheel and all!

A true congratulations to you. You have a very interesting and unique build and your methods are very innovative.

Cheers, and Happy New Year;

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 10:00 am 

If you want to ditch the hot rod look, you need to do something with the wheel openings. The combination of modern wheels and uneven tire to fender opening just screams "Slammed Hot Rod!".

Bill

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 11:16 am 

BBlue wrote:
If you want to ditch the hot rod look, you need to do something with the wheel openings. The combination of modern wheels and uneven tire to fender opening just screams "Slammed Hot Rod!".

I agree, I also want to bring the front fenders further around in front like below.

Attachment:
whatthehaye1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 7:53 pm 

Yeah, that look will do it. You said on to door opening and seat position and I thought "Crap, he can't just leave it like that".

Bill

PostPosted: December 31, 2014, 9:30 pm 

i think the whole front needs to move backwards in relation to the wheel and then the rear of the wheel opening needs to be filled to suit the wheel diameter.

i also think the grill needs to move forward.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 8:21 pm 

Through the magic of CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) here is an updated view of the design.
Attachment:
IMG_0463.JPG

john hennessy wrote:
i also think the grill needs to move forward.

Me too. I'm happy with the general shape of the body forward of the windshield but the mid section of the body is still a mystery. The car in this picture has a 107" wheelbase. I didn't want to cut the door frame down but it looks like I will have to unless I want a car as long as my station wagon. I'm not worried about taking a section out of the door or the frame but I'm not too sure about the glass. I'd like to keep the roll up windows.

PostPosted: January 1, 2015, 8:59 pm 

Looking good! Perhaps you could look at only taking a bit off the back retaining the same angle, then if you move the slide and all it it *should* still work. I thinks...

When it comes time to cut things up let me know, I know a really good little glass shop just across the river from you. They did some work for me and have made some adjustments to existing pieces for a few people I know; first class work and I don't know how they turn a profit for what they charge.

PostPosted: January 7, 2015, 9:31 am 

Not a lot of progress to report. I've done a bit of pushing parts here then pushing them there, then sitting and looking at things. Also measuring things then measuring over again because I've already forgotten what I did. Currently the wheelbase is down from the 107" in the last picture to a more reasonable 98". I did make a couple of decisions though. First, I can't use the Miata door frame and tunnel as is. They make the car to long and too wide so I'll mockup the body without them. Later I'll decide how much of either one can be used. Second, the back of the rear fender needs to come up similar to an MGA. That will help it look more sports car and less street rod.
Attachment:
IMG_0465.JPG

The fender looks too big this way so some cutting will be in order but the general idea is there. Next up is to establish the roof height.

PostPosted: January 12, 2015, 9:27 am 

Partially disassembled one Miata door over the weekend. I decided that the door itself would be unusable but the hardware like the handles, latches and window parts could be used.

My friends keep asking what my car is. They think that it has to be a copy of some car, not just something I'm making up. They also can't understand why I'm spending so much time with wood, cardboard and tape. Well, here is why.

Attachment:
IMG_0467.JPG

I thought the laid back windshield looked good on this car, but now I'm not sure.

Attachment:
IMG_0310.JPG

Not only more aero, but it would be easier to see the traffic lights that we have so many of. I'll keep mocking up the roof line but I think I'll end up taking the windshield off and making it more vertical like the cars of the period. It would be a big pain if I had already made it in steel, but now it only means a new roll of white duct tape and some more posterboard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 20  Next