LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently July 5, 2020, 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: January 23, 2015, 2:35 pm 

Dang, does everyone on this forum have a Mini in their garage?

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: January 23, 2015, 2:45 pm 

Run87k wrote:
CAUTION: NON CAR RELATED RANT.

This probably belongs with Rob's HHR story but that seems to have calmed down today so I'd better not start it back up. Also, I have been working on my project but don't really have any picture worthy stuff to show. And it's my build log so I guess I can run it off track if I want.

I used to be a decent runner. Not great but sometimes I had the leaders in sight at the finish which is not half bad. I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which is really ironic because my one and only super power was the ability to run all day. I haven't run at all the past year and haven't seen my pals in the local running club either so I though I'd go shuffle through a one mile fun run just to be part of things again. I filled out the registration form as Rufus T Firefly (some of you might recognize the name of the Marx brothers character in Duck Soup). This is an old joke in the club started by a now departed member about 30 years ago. An old club president once ran the whole Winter Series as Jean Luc Picard (captain of the Enterprise). My son used to run as Ayrton Senna. I handed over my form at the registration table and the lady gave it back and said I had to fill it out correctly or I couldn't run. I was dumbfounded. I have known this lady for 20 years or more and she had to know about the club's tradition. I nearly went home right then but I finally filled out a new form and turned it in. So what if I drop over dead out on course, I signed my correct name on the waiver and there was at least a couple dozen club members there who would know where to drop the body off.

Life is so sanitized now. I'm really surprised that I was allowed to register my Locost because it has no bumpers, air bags or emission controls. I'm so angry I can't even go to the garage.

END OF RANT

And now back to the regularly scheduled build log.

Run87... I missed this rant when you posted it some while ago.. Years ago I happened into one of the least politically correct groups I've ever encountered, and they happen to have running (and drinking) as the glue that binds them together.. The Hash House Harriers are not a group for everyone, but they have chapters in most every city, are a very open-minded group, and are extremely social (a great way to enjoy running and the company of others).. I don't mean to hijack your build log, but thought you'd be interested in this 'word of mouth' exclusive little group.. I did my college Senior project (short film) on them, and have over the years gone out with them from time to time (most chapters run once a week).. Coolest people ever- I'm not a big drinker (their motto is "A drinking Group with a Running Problem"), and I've found the beer is just a sideshow to the social aspect of the group.. btw, if you join, you'll get a name that's anything but your birth name :shock:

Maybe you've heard of them and they're not for you- no worries, but if have not, and you're looking for people that color out of the lines, they're worth learning about..

Loving this ambitious build btw :cheers:

--ccrunner

My '63 Volvo 1800 with a turbo inline 4 build log (LNF Ecotec compliments a Svelte Swede)
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

My '59 Berkeley SE492 build log (bike engine in a microcar)... "A Berkeley With Bite!"

PostPosted: January 23, 2015, 3:24 pm 

I've heard of hashing, I even did one. I have this problem with competing. Runs that aren't a competition really irk me. There is a feeling among some ultrarunners that it doesn't matter where you finish just as long as you get to the end. Some runs don't even publish results. One of the races I am most proud of is the national 100 mile championships where I dropped out at 70 miles. I was 15th overall when I dropped out and one of the fastest out on course at that time. My hand we swelling and tingling and I was getting disoriented so I DNF'd (Did Nothing Fatal), but I was up there and it was great. I don't even remember where I finished in the last JFK 50 miler I did. I finished but didn't run a good time. I still secretly compete in the 1 mile fun runs I started doing. I did my third one last weekend and finally beat all of the little girls (take that!). Next weekends goal is to beat all of the guys over 50.

PostPosted: January 23, 2015, 7:25 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
Dang, does everyone on this forum have a Mini in their garage?

Except for the ones with MGAs :P

PostPosted: January 23, 2015, 10:29 pm 

Well, that didn't go so well. I figured after the success of the turn a disk into a bowl lesson I was a natural at the English wheel. Next was the Shape In - Shape Out lesson. Take a 12" square, deburr, clean and mark 1" in from each edge.

Attachment:
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG [ 448.17 KiB | Viewed 1840 times ]

Piece of cake. Now wheel back and forth parallel to one edge across the whole space inside the lines. Turn part 90 degrees and repeat. The result should be somewhat dome shaped. The wheeling inside the lines will stretch the metal. Since the unstretched edges restrain the movement, the center pops up.

Attachment:
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG [ 503.79 KiB | Viewed 1840 times ]

Ok, that is more of an arch than a dome but we will press on anyway. The next step is to wheel only in the 1" around each edge. Stretching the edges will relieve the restraint around the perimeter letting the part flatten back out.

Attachment:
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG [ 517.52 KiB | Viewed 1840 times ]

Well, if we change the definition of flat that might be a success. Tomorrow, fiberglass. At least I've got an idea of how to do that.

PostPosted: January 24, 2015, 1:16 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Well, if we change the definition of flat that might be a success.

I'm impressed. Your learning how to look at the metal and do what you want it to. If I saw a bulge or dome in the middle I would've started banging on that to flatten it out, but the right thing to do was stretch the edges.

PostPosted: January 24, 2015, 2:03 pm 

I can't take credit for that bit of insight, it was all in the book.

PostPosted: January 24, 2015, 11:29 pm 

raising the dome, start in the middle and work to one edge, then work from the middle to the opposite edge, then turn the piece 90 degrees and repeat.

the reason you ended up with a tunnel instead of a dome is that after the first pass, the metal was thinner than when you started hence the wheel pressure was less, this is where feel becomes critical and only experience will let you feel the resistance.

the reason it didn't return to flat is due to the difference between the pressure on the first two passes not being equal, so rolling the edges equally would not return it to flat.

look at the part, if after the first pass, it is a tunnel then the next pass must be repeated until the required shape is found, its in there, you just have to find it.

try a lot less pressure on the first pass then make the second pass with enough pressure to raise the dome, do not try to get the center up on the first pass.

you do not want to use pressure that will leave stripes in the metal you can repeat each pass until the effect is equal on both passes.

with aluminum, you don't want to squash it, also if you do squash it it will work harden so must be annealed before the second pass as when hardened it will not respond to the wheel as well as when a fresh piece is wheeled.

i would recommend using a piece of steel to practice with, it responds better than aluminum.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: January 25, 2015, 8:44 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
the reason you ended up with a tunnel instead of a dome is that after the first pass, the metal was thinner than when you started hence the wheel pressure was less

If it was a snake, it would have bit me. Once you pointed that out, it was so obvious. Thanks for clearing up that little mystery.

PostPosted: January 26, 2015, 9:47 am 

Did some work on the fiberglass rear fender over the weekend. I don't like the raised edge on the fenders.
Attachment:
IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG [ 356.13 KiB | Viewed 1704 times ]

So I cut it off. I also used a sharpie on a string to swing a radius around the opening since I am mounting the fender lower than on a '36 chevy. I got a little behind in the picture taking so the lower front edge of the fender ahs already been glassed back in.
Attachment:
IMG_0485.JPG
IMG_0485.JPG [ 430.77 KiB | Viewed 1704 times ]

I want to add a roll to the lower edge so I'll need a form of some kind. I like to use aluminum flashing because it is thin and flexible so it peels right off after the fiberglass cures. The problem with it is that it is hardened so it will not hold a shape unless you crease it. But what would happen if I ran it through the English wheel?
Attachment:
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG [ 397.28 KiB | Viewed 1704 times ]

The curve is wider at the front and smaller toward the back plus it follows the fender curve.
Attachment:
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG [ 433.41 KiB | Viewed 1704 times ]

The shape is difficult to make out from the picture but once I put a skim coat of filler on it I think I'll be happy with it. I'm going to put on a tire with a taller sidewall so I made the opening a bit bigger than looks good with this tire. The rear fenders don't have a flange for bolting to the body. I don't know how they attach to a chevy but I want a flange.
Attachment:
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG [ 421.8 KiB | Viewed 1704 times ]

I can glass one on but I'll need a form. Aluminum drip edge for roofing would work except it doesn't follow the curve of the fender. That is unless you have a shrinker/stretcher. A few minutes later here it is.
Attachment:
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG [ 379.51 KiB | Viewed 1704 times ]

I think I'm liking this metalworking stuff.

PostPosted: January 26, 2015, 6:52 pm 

Run87k wrote:
I think I'm liking this metalworking stuff.

sympatico. one of the most fun fabrications on the B-3 was the fwd cowl. much simpler curves than what you're trying, but very satisfying.

when I look at your mockup with all the panels on I think Bugatti Atlantique Coupe, or 1930s Talbot-Lago

The Jag Special Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012

PostPosted: January 26, 2015, 8:06 pm 

robbovius wrote:
when I look at your mockup with all the panels on I think Bugatti Atlantique Coupe, or 1930s Talbot-Lago

Then I'm succeeding, that's just the impression I want to give. Hopefully when I finish people will think it is a restomod of a real 1930's car. Once I finish mocking up the rear of the car, I'll move on to the hardest part. I have no idea how I will successfully blend the roof into the rear deck.

PostPosted: January 28, 2015, 12:19 pm 

Run87K,
More food for thought.
http://trumpetb.net/57SC/pattern.html

Ron

PostPosted: January 29, 2015, 1:23 pm 

Thanks for that link. I really like how he made the windshield frame for the buck, It got me thinking.

PostPosted: January 30, 2015, 10:32 pm 
We are Slotus!

This build just keeps getting more interesting... I'm likin' that 30's vibe, a lot. Fenders look great!

:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next