LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: AWD Riot
PostPosted: August 28, 2015, 1:38 pm 

Yes Bob, I'm familiar with that one lol.
Love your build, :cheers:

Wayne-o...........
Sorry if I ruined your night with my use of "cooper" :wink:
For your peace off mind, I have edited my post, hope you can rest now.
And by the way, if it was either a Cooper or s version, I wouldn't think about changing anything on them.
Life is short man, don't stress over little things.
:cheers:

PostPosted: August 28, 2015, 1:41 pm 

Run87k wrote:
wayne-o wrote:
Lets get something really straight here boys and girls...john cooper was a FORMULA ONE CONSTRUCTOR, NOT like Shelby

Fixed it for ya. :wink:

:cheers:

PostPosted: August 29, 2015, 1:38 pm 

No biggie, just one of my pet peeves.

PostPosted: May 22, 2016, 5:29 am 

Hi All

Had the gearbox out to repair a broken 1-2 selector fork and upgrade to Quaife centre diff and Evo3 close ratio 1st,3rd & 4th with dual cone synchros. Plus RS VR4 steel selector forks and non sprung centre clutch as after 7 years of abuse it was beginning to tear at the hub rivets.

While I had her on stands I took a couple of photos to better explain the AWD mods.

Glen

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 18, 2016, 11:54 am 

so is the transfercase just pointing forward instead of back with a flipped diff? or is that plate of aluminum not factory

PostPosted: June 21, 2016, 9:47 am 

jwestie15 wrote:
so is the transfercase just pointing forward instead of back with a flipped diff? or is that plate of aluminum not factory

The concept is a bit odd, but works rather well. If you look at the motor and trans, it is still facing in the same direct, just in back of the car. That basically makes it where no gears need to be modified; the flipping of the transfer case is done to transfer power upfront. The plate looks to have been added to allow the transfer case to be redirected.

PostPosted: November 11, 2016, 3:34 am 

That's right crxvetc91 the alloy plate is double drilled for the transfer case mounting holes. One set being recessed for socket headed bolts to attach to the transmission with the second set of tapped holes rotated around the centre line of the transfer input by close to 180 degrees to point the transfer case to the front of the vehicle. Mods are also required to transfer case breather, drain and fill plugs and as you say jwestie15 the diff is mounted upside down and again with attention to breathers and plugs. Note down under we don't have to mount the diff upside down due to the differences in Coriolis effect on the southern hemisphere :wink: .

PostPosted: November 16, 2016, 10:34 pm 

Mid engine AWD set up has been my dream. Can you elaborate a bit more on how you flipped the transfer case (looks like an adapter plate made) and what you did for the front diff...just flipped rear diff and fixed fill and drain locations? Sounds like something my offroad friends would do :cheers:

Awesome build! Might have just gotten me to scrap my plans for an EJ powered, GTR 32/33 trans Seven build.

PostPosted: January 6, 2017, 12:45 am 

"EJ powered, GTR 32/33 trans Seven build" sounds like an interesting concept, I would follow that build.

Maybe this photo I found with Google image Search "W5M33" of the type of transmission and attached transfer case with my previously posted photos and words will help. Your on the right track with the front diff flip.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 7, 2017, 10:05 pm 

I'm dumbfounded lots of great stuff going on, first time I've heard of lpg used in a car engine... :shock:

PostPosted: January 9, 2017, 5:06 pm 

you can see from the pic though that if you rotate the transfer case around 180 degrees then it will hit the engine oil pan right? How did you get it to rotate all the way around without interfering with the engine? Is it offset low enough that it clears the oil pan? Or is it not rotated all the way around to level and it faces down just a little bit?

PostPosted: January 25, 2017, 8:16 am 

Thanks jere, propane is the good stuff cheap, hi octane and the only way I could get through my local emission legislation.

No secrets junior, the transfer case is horizontal and from my first post "To get enough clearance the engine inclination needed to be altered requiring me to modify the sump and pickup which I thought while I was about it I’d improve the baffling and increase capacity."