LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: March 14, 2016, 2:44 pm 

RX7 - I have a bunch of old Consolidated an other american bearing manufacturer books on my desk.. If you need help finding a suitable replacement bearing, let me know (with dimensions.. inner/outer race and width.. also style, tapered roller, conical, deep groove etc..), and I can probably find you a part number if nothing else.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 2:42 pm 

MV8, I think a pilot hole, the diameter of the center pin might help. Anything less would still walk I think.

1055, Thanks for the offer. I'll see what direction I'll take when I get to the reassembly process.

I think I mentioned earlier, I have to do some frame rust repair. Unfortunately, the chassis number(VIN?) is in the area that needs to be replaced. Time to start the process. Let the games begin.

I called the Illinois Secretary Of State office this morning to get the title thing started. I figured I need that to get someone to verify the VIN number. I was told that I could either a) get a judge to issue a court order instructing the SOS office to issue the title, or b) go thru the Bond process. She connected me to The Sec Of State Police Bonded title dept.

I told the Bonded Title Division I was inquiring about the bond and bonded title, but had an issue. I could not determine the value required on the application. She said I could use the NADA website. I told her my vehicle was not listed on the website. She asked “what is the vehicle?” I said Cushman. She immediately asked “Truckster?” I said yes. She said it could not be titled. I said it had a decal that said it met all NHTSA requirements and it was titled in Wisconsin up to 20 years ago.

I said I had another problem that the serial number is stamped into the frame member. And that needs to be replaced due to rust. She replied that I need to contact the State Police (a 3rd entity altogether) They have a process certify/verify the VIN is re-stamped on the new metal, or something like that. We ended that she would send out a Bonded title Packet. It would require photos of all sides and to include photos of the Chassis number and to include a picture of the decal.

I then told her the vehicle was in parts. Photos of the completed vehicle are not possible. She said that vehicle must be all together and running in order to go thru the bonded title process. I find that hard to imagine. There must be another way to create proof of ownership. I WILL find a way, eventually! Maybe the Court Order is the only way? The benefit of this is that it would not require me to own the vehicle for the next 3 years before selling, as it would if I get a bonded title.

I then called my local District Office of the State Police where there is a “VIN”guy who handles the restamping etc. He was out today but will call me on Monday to discuss that part of my process.

To find out more about the Court Order process, (step a above) I called my county clerk’s office to see what the process would be to get a court order. They don’t know. They only process papers. They can’t instruct how to……When pressed, she suggested getting an attorney to file papers. I asked what kind of papers. She again said she could not give any legal advice. I should try the State’s Attorney office.

So I called the State Attorney’s Office. They only prosecute and couldn’t help me at all other than to suggest I call the Bar association’s Legal Aid office.

So I called the Bar Association’s Legal Aid phone number. No help there as they only handle family matters. I should talk to the Legal Referral Office.

So I called the Bar Association’s Legal Referral phone number. There was a recorded greeting that said they can just refer me to an attorney and can get ½ hour free advice ! I didn't pursue that at the moment.

So if this was a boxing match, 6 rounds completed and no decision yet. I know this can easily go the full 15 rounds and I am only getting warmed up. Stay tuned for more……

BTW, I think if I ever do get titled and licensed I will get a personalized plate that reads “RDTAPE 1”

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 3:23 pm 

I just got off the phone with Wisconsin's DOT. They have no records for this vehicle. From there, they transferred me to their "Advanced Research Division" where they have to tools to dig deeper into their records. Still no record of the vehicle. But they did say they purged records if a vehicle is not licensed for a period of 5-8 years. So a vehicle sold at auction 19 years ago would not have any records unless it was re-titled in Wisconsin. I guess that would mean it wasn't stolen, So I guess I've got that going for me :mrgreen:

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 4:28 pm 

What about registering it in a state that does not require residency to do so, then taking that registration to IL to register it? I had to do this a couple times with "lost title" vehicles in CT. Register them in Vermont, using my CT registration.. Take registration paperwork from VT to CT DMV and they were able to transfer ownership and issue me a new title since the vehicle was subsequently titled in another state in my name. (its worth noting, VT doesn't title vehicles past 10 or 15 years old, so CT didn't require a title from them..)

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: March 18, 2016, 7:17 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I looked into Vermont before, but my State has a section of code that forbids residents of my State from registering vehicles in another state.

Chuck, I'll send you a pm.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 20, 2016, 3:05 pm 

1055, I happen to live in a state that is very, very, difficult to side-step. We were one of the first states to shut-down places like Broadway Title. While I do not know about the Vermont method, I expect that this method too has been identified and shut down in our state. I have confidence that I will have to sort thru the red tape. While it is painful, I have believe that I will get this titled and registered according to their rules.

MV8, thanks for you PM. Right now, they tell me the vehicle must be complete and running in order to go thru the Bond Process. I Think there are methods to get a salvage title issued as it sits, but in order to get a salvage vehicle back on the road, it MUST be rebuilt by a licensed rebuilder. So salvage title is not a way to go for me. I may have to wait until this is put back together (before the body is restored of course :mrgreen:).

PostPosted: March 21, 2016, 8:56 am 

I live in Vermont and they are incredibly lenient here. I looked up the laws for building your own car and registering it. It follows the "We're from Vermont, we do what we want" attitude.

If things get desperate, I could buy it from you, register it and sell it back. If it gets really desperate, I have a buddy that does an auto restoration business in Vermont who has definitely dealt with worse. Importation of a Euro spec Lamborghini Countach and Lancia Stratos has to be worse than registering a Cushman without a title. :D

We would end up paying sales tax, but they won't know what to charge since it is not in the book. Whatever we put on the bill of sale is what they will charge.

PostPosted: March 21, 2016, 9:07 am 

they let me register all of my necessary vehicles in Vermont with my Connecticut home address.. LOL

Driven5 wrote:

PostPosted: March 24, 2016, 10:44 am 

One of the things that makes it difficult to move forward on this is the lack of response from the LEO's. I called the State Police last Friday to get help and direction about the process of removal and replacement of the VIN on the chassis. Does it need to be inspected before, Does it need to be confirmed afterwards? Can I just re-stamp the new metal? Do I need to re-weld this VIN onto to the new frame rails? Just how can I do this? I was told I would receive a callback on Monday by the guy who handles these things. Monday came and went, no reply. Tuesday came and went, No call!. So I called again yesterday, Got his voicemail. No reply..........

I wonder if Illinois' problem of having no state budget, has now filtered down to their outgoing phone service was shut off! :BH:

PostPosted: March 24, 2016, 11:59 am 

rx7locost wrote:
I wonder if Illinois' problem of having no state budget, has now filtered down to their outgoing phone service was shut off! :BH:

If my experiences with various state gov'ts is any indication, the average employee (including cops) are in hunker-down mode, where everyone is scared for their job.

And yes, I can see how someone in Flint MI didn't get that additive added to their water supply causing that mess. Flint was bankrupt, being run by a guy from the Gov's office, and betting that everything was chaos at that point.

Then again, what is the excuse in Kentucky, where the guy who knows how to get a car licensed is never in answering his phone? I'd love for him to tell me why I need 4 taillights instead of 2 when all of the Vicky replicas are running around with one?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 24, 2016, 6:48 pm 

Here is another if anybody wants to build one http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/5481701572.html

PostPosted: March 25, 2016, 8:17 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The vin history of the one for sale could be useful, since it was registered for road use six times. That the seller needs a title is bogus, especially considering the age if that State's code is like most states.

As for returning calls, generally the person who answers the phone is guessing when you will hear back and cannot tell you the schedule of the person you need to speak to. I'd give him two weeks before shooting an email asking for assistance:

http://www.ilsos.gov/ContactFormsWeb/title_contact.jsp

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 7, 2016, 9:30 am 

Update on titling/frame repair:

I received a package in the mail from the State. In it was all the paperwork needed for applying for a Bonded Title. I still need to figure out how to get an appraisal that they will accept. And how to get this done BEFORE having an assembled, running vehicle. I'm still working on that front.

I also received a callback from the State Police this morning, about cutting out the VIN and repairing the frame rail. It seems that this part will be relatively straight forward. I take pics of the stamped number insitu (done) and email it to the trooper. He will start a file on my vehicle. I can now remove the steel and repair the frame. He will come back later and re-stamp the frame in the new metal and apply a real VIN plate visible from the outside. So now I can move forward on the frame repair....... Already I have the front cross-member cut off and cleaned up ready for rewelding. now I need to cut off the rest of the rails and fit the new metal.

PROGRESS at last!

PostPosted: April 17, 2016, 10:55 am 

Fast forward: 2 cross members and the reinforcement plates were removed. Due to the damage done to the reinforcement plates in their removal, I decided to replace them with new metal. I received that Thursday and by Friday they were cut to shape and primed on the side that faces the rails. The frame rails were wire brushed to remove any surface rust and prepped with rust reformer. Yesterday I welded the reinforcements into the rear frame section, extending past the cut line. My temporary jig that aligned the front cross member was fit and the cross member was aligned, ready to weld. From there I started to fit the new frame rail pieces between it and the rear frame. Thanks Botbasher for providing the formed pieces. Measure, cut trim, grind repeat as necessary. Short time later, I was ready to start melting the pieces into one frame.
Attachment:
reinforcement.JPG

Attachment:
reinforcement 1.JPG

As it now sits, the frame is one and the jig has been removed. I will delay the installation of the inner frame pieces to the front cross member until later. I need to locate and install some welded nuts before closing up that area. More pics to come later today.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 17, 2016, 9:59 pm 

I got the old spot welds fully welded and ground flush today. I test fitted the dash and ID'd the location for the weld nuts. here are the pics I promised
Attachment:
frame 2.JPG
Attachment:
frame 1.JPG
Attachment:
frame 3.JPG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next