LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 14, 2024, 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: April 18, 2016, 4:55 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Ah, the big picture. Couldn’t see the forest for the trees before. Moving right along.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 19, 2016, 10:10 am 

Quote:
Couldn’t see the forest for the trees before
This is probably more a reflection on my poor descriptions than your understanding. :hail:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: April 23, 2016, 8:33 pm 

I spent a few hours in the garage today. First, I added the weld-nuts to the new steel. Three nuts per side.2 on the sides are for the dash/nose. The one on the top is for the floorboard.
Attachment:
welded nuts.JPG

Then I tackled the fabrication of nesting part of the frame rail. This reinforces the connection from the main "arch" cross member to the frame. It took some thought process constantly referring to the frame, the rusted mass that was cut out and the photos I took during disassembly. Again two mirror imaged parts with another welded nut.
Attachment:
frame rail reinforcement.JPG

Then I welded it in place. I hereby declare the frame to be repaired. That's enough for an afternoon.
Attachment:
weldment.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 2, 2016, 4:46 pm 

I got everything cleaned up, wire brushed the remaining surface rust and degreased. Then primed and just finished painting. In a couple days, I will be ready to do the same to the drivetrain sub-frame.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 17, 2016, 9:59 pm 

The subframe is all cleaned up and painted. Some chassis reassembly has begun so I can make more room in the garage. Cars in pieces take up a lot more room than when put together. But then, you all know that. I installed the subframe, the diff and rear spring, antiroll bar etc. I know, Pics or it didn't happen.

Next, I plan on finishing up sourcing some small parts for the front wheel/brake ass'y and make this a rolling chassis.

PostPosted: May 18, 2016, 5:49 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Looking good and probably better than new corrosion protection.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 11:50 am 

Man, I have made no real progress on this in the last month and a half. Between the Gathering, business trips to Florida, California, China and another one coming up, the Big Holiday weekend where we went out and bought a non-running speedboat, and other life things, I have had little quality time to spend on the Cushman. Life keeps getting in the way. For instance, today I get to go inspect a home that my son and his fiancé are considering buying.

I have been able to get the front suspension and brakes all freshened up with new bronze bushings, distance pieces, etc. I also did the final assembly of the rear brakes/hubs done. It is now officially a roller! Albeit, on some very old rubber and ratty wheels. I can't make it look too pretty for the appraisal, required when I apply for a bonded title. I plan on putting the ratty body etc on the chassis for that. Then afterwards, work on making it pretty(ish).

PostPosted: August 29, 2016, 8:26 am 

Still little progress to report. I have done a few small things. I cut out the rust in the floorboard and welded in new metal. Painted it and used spray can bedliner for the floor instead of the rubber mat. Also took the shifter mechanism apart. cleaned it up and found that the "ball" on the end of the shift lever had broken off internally. I re-welded it on and cleaned up the weld.

I am currently rebuilding a picket fence. After that, I hope to have more time to spend on this project. (HA!)

PostPosted: October 4, 2016, 11:24 am 

I have finished some other "projects" and now have gotten a few hours per day this last week in the rebuild. I have been working on re-gasketing the engine to slow down some of the oil leaks. This entailed removing the 1-piece cylinder/head assembly. The cross hatch was still visible so I just reassembled using the same rings etc. This rebuild is never going to be a prom queen. No sense in trying to make it pass as one. Next up is cleaning up the carb

There was evidence of somebody being in there before. Probably the Beloit guys. There is some silicone gasket sealer here and there and one heli-coil in the case. I chose not to split the case. That is just too much work and evidence didn't warrant it.

I hope to have a runner by the end of the year that even stops on command. :D One must have goals. After the new year, it will be back to working on the boat, putting in a new floor.

PostPosted: October 18, 2016, 10:48 pm 

I know.... it didn't happen unless there are pictures. So here they are. Engine has been resealed, Carb rebuilt, and the engine is now in the , on the, close to being..... I'm not sure what it is. 2 of the 4 mounting bolts are in place. The remaning 2 have to wait until the trans is in place.
Attachment:
front end1.JPG
Attachment:
engine2.JPG
Attachment:
engine1.JPG

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 9:27 am 

Update: I got the clutch plate, transmission, driveshaft and parking brake ass'y installed. Got the alternator and starter mounted on the engine. That's when I found a BIG honkin' spacer washer lying on the workbench. I wonder where that came from..... Stay tuned.

PostPosted: November 3, 2016, 9:11 am 

Chuck
Consider your self lucky!!!!
I usually can't find the part even after a 3 hour search :ack:
Dave W

PostPosted: November 3, 2016, 11:07 pm 

My problem is I don't know where it goes or even if it is part of this "project"! :cry:

PostPosted: November 4, 2016, 7:26 am 
We are Slotus!

davew wrote:
Chuck
I usually can't find the part even after a 3 hour search
I had my 1/2-to-3/8 drive adapter in my hand. Laid it down. Searched the entire garage, couldn't find it. Gave up and went to town and bought a new one. I figured as soon as I walked into the shop with the new one that the old one would fall from the sky and hit me in the head. It didn't. Still haven't located it.
Attachment:
Ancient-Aliens.jpg

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 10, 2016, 3:22 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
davew wrote:
Chuck
I usually can't find the part even after a 3 hour search
I had my 1/2-to-3/8 drive adapter in my hand. Laid it down. Searched the entire garage, couldn't find it. Gave up and went to town and bought a new one. I figured as soon as I walked into the shop with the new one that the old one would fall from the sky and hit me in the head. It didn't. Still haven't located it.
Attachment:
Ancient-Aliens.jpg

Did you hear a dull rattle in the engine at startup? :mrgreen:

I have had that same problem my whole life. I am very messy. When I have something in my hand and then have to walk across the garage for the next tool, I inadvertently place the 1st item down on my walk. Since it was inadvertent, I never know where to look. When I work in a friend's garage, he does the opposite. He puts all the tools away rather than placing them down somewhere. It kills me. He puts away the tools that I just put down. And when I reach for where I know I left it, it isn't there anymore. WTF? My workbench has a vertical filing system. the most recent tool used is on top of the pile. Too late to change now. :cheers:

I misplaced an entire SK ratchet set years ago. I never found it. It was special to me. My Dad got it for me and was the one photographed for the tool catalog.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next