LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: March 5, 2018, 7:38 pm 

Finished the welding and slotting on the subframe, and I just finished putting chassis paint on it.

Attachment:
20180305_160606.jpg

Unfortunately, I found a spot right by one of the chassis mounts, where the subframe looks a little tweaked. I didn't take a picture of it, but I measured it, and it only looks like maybe a millimeter of distortion from side to side. I'm concerned about it, but I'm going to run it for now, and if it is too bad, I'll hunt down another Z3 subframe. I think it will be alright. I've been looking at the trailing arms, and the factory Z3 trailing arms are already reinforced from the factory, and stronger than the factory E30 arms. I have some plates I could weld on, but I don't think it is necessary. I'll keep them for the time being, but not use them for now. Need to clean and paint them, and then install new bushings, and the car goes back together!

Last night, I needed a little break from the suspension. So I set out a plastic sheet on my kitchen table (the perks of living alone), brought in the supercharger, poured myself a finger of bourbon and...realized better of it, because I realized the supercharger nose is full of oil. But it makes a great picture!

Attachment:
Snapchat-295057018.jpg

I'm glad I did take it back into the garage, because the Eaton supercharger oil in there was some of the worst smelling stuff I've ever been around. I don't know if it is burnt, or broken down, or just nasty in general, but that stuff was absolutely vile. But, moving on: the reason I decided to work on the supercharger, is because I set it in the engine bay, and realized it is much too long. I pulled the nose of the supercharger off, and when it is empty of oil, I'm going to completely disassemble it. I want to see if I can shorten the supercharger nose substantially, by maybe four or five inches, to make it fit better.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to keep looking for a twin screw supercharger, or another one that will work. But if I can't find anything by the end of the year, I'm seriously considering an engine swap. The swap at the forefront of my mind is the Ford 302. The Windsor, not the Coyote. I would have to hammer the firewall a little bit, and convert to manual brakes, but then the V8 fits pretty snugly in the bay. But anyway, I'm not committing to that anytime soon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2019 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: March 6, 2018, 3:05 pm 

It's animal fat based. It absolutely reeks to low hell and will haunt your nose for days.

Is that an M90 off a 3800 GM, or the M45?

I know Mercedes has a short snout for the M45 used on their Kompressor cars.

I'll have to pull apart one of my M90's and see how bad shortening a snout and drive shaft would be. One of them is a SuperCoupe shell with a set of GTP coated rotors installed in it. Was going to go on the Hyundai 2.0 in the Tibby at some point.

06 325xi
Some people never have anything except ideas. Go do it.
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: March 6, 2018, 10:55 pm 

Wait, a SuperCoupe blower with GTP rotors? Does that bring up the SuperCoupe unit to the same efficiency as the GTP? Or is it still not quite there? Because the GTP one is way bigger, and it would be nice to have a smaller package. I'm using an M90. An M45 would probably be adequate on a stock motor, but since I want to build the motor up, I would rather under spin the M90 now, rather than over spin an M45 later.

No obligation to pull apart one of your blowers, but if you do, let me know what you find! Mine is probably gonna be on the back burner for a while, since race season is rapidly approaching.

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: March 7, 2018, 2:34 am 

Brings the SC up to same efficiency rating as the GTP coated, as long as the coating is intact amd the porting for the V is the same or similar.

I had to drill a hole for a dowel on either the rotor pack or the housing (forget which) to get it to fit in. Wasn't horrible to do with the mill, and could be done very carefully with calipers, a prick punch, and a drill press.

I'll see if I can find the chargers (I've literally lost them amongst piles of parts :roll: ), and maybe see how bad it actually is to shorten them.

Hmm, just found a post where someone did it.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showth ... p?t=316184

It's worth looking into.

Edit: I just remembered, the M62 was the lower size Eaton blower GM used for the V6 cars. The M45 was for smaller 4 cylinders. The joys of forgetting what you bought nearly a decade ago.

06 325xi
Emissions & fuel economy haven't exactly been areas of strength for past rotary power plants, but absolutely no one with a soul has ever cared.

PostPosted: March 7, 2018, 9:23 am 

Well, I just went down a rabbit hole of different forums this morning before work. Thanks for the leads and information, Walt! I have a lot more reading to do, but this is starting to look a lot more feasible!

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: March 11, 2018, 9:34 pm 

No pictures yet, I'll post some when it is all together, but the subframe is complete, and back in the car!!!!! The end of the suspension build is finally in sight! I have to finish installation, put together the rear brakes, put on my skid plate once it arrives, and then it is time for the fender flares. The car will then be able to sit in its completed new form for the first time. Working is going to be hard this week, knowing how close the car is!

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: April 22, 2018, 10:57 pm 

Check it out!

Attachment:
Snapchat-1695181797.jpg

This is the first time it's sat on the new suspension, and that was just yesterday! There's still quite a lot of work before I can race it, or even drive it, but this is the biggest milestone so far! Here's a brief photo dump and summary of what I've done so far:

Attachment:
20180311_174255.jpg

Here is the completed rear subframe. I finished welding all of the Garagistic subframe reinforcements I needed. I didn't use a few of them, however. The trailing arm reinforcements only work on the smaller E30 trailing arms, as the Z3 ones are already heavier duty. I did some measuring on the area that looked like it was bent, and it looks like it will be fine. It bolted up to the car fine, anyways, so I guess time will tell. Next I swapped out all the old rubber bushings with 95A polyurethane bushings, and finished the subframe off with a brushed on coat of chassis paint. Just before bolting it up, I swapped out the middle rubber brake lines on the car for braided SS, as well as the rear brake lines at the calipers. I did find out that the hard brake lines on the trailing arms were slightly different than the E30 ones. At the top of the arms, they make a 90 degree turn to the rear, while the E30 lines point to the front of the car. Didn't take much to fix, once I unbolted the Z3 brake line bracket, the factory E30 bracket is still there. So I cut and flared the lines, and we are ready to rock!

Attachment:
20180402_194705.jpg

So this is the inside of the E30 differential, and I am blown away at how good of condition it is in. It is the original LSD from 1989, with 276,000 miles on it. It still has decent lockup, the gears don't look worn hardly at all, and the fluid looks clear, and doesn't have a burnt smell at all. I should also mention that the diff has never been serviced, in the time that my dad and I have owned it. That's more than 150,000 miles. So I just emptied it, cleaned, painted, and sealed the diff, swapped the output flanges over to the Z3 flanges, and put some Royal Purple 75w140 in.

Now for the two problems I came across:

Attachment:
20180421_173244.jpg

I knew about this one going in. I definitely have a width problem. What I didn't anticipate is the scale of the problem. These are the stand-in wheels and tires, which have a bigger offset, and slightly narrower tires. I'm going to need 3-4" of fender flare to fit the actual wheels and tires. I did also find a supplier that sells all sorts of sizes of universal bolt-on flares, made out of ABS plastic, that have pretty good reviews. Once I actually mount the new tires, which I just picked up on Thursday, I can tell how wide of flares I need.

Attachment:
20180421_141956.jpg

When I was bleeding brakes yesterday, I noticed that the pedal wasn't holding pressure. I guess thinking back, that had always been a problem, but now I made the connection of what the problem might be. Sure enough, the factory master cylinder is leaking badly. That does mean I have an excuse to upgrade. I was worried anyway that the stock cylinder wouldn't be quite enough for the bigger brakes. And, continuing with the theme of factory upgrades, the master cylinder off of an E32 chassis 750il is a perfect bolt-in, with a couple millimeters more of diameter. about $160 on Rock Auto. Going to pick one of those up here, pretty soon.

This week I'm going to try and start on the ECU wiring. The biggest challenge I think I am facing is fabricating an intake where I can install the IAT sensor. Never made an intake, and I'm not really sure where to buy the materials for it. But I'm sure the Googler can help me with that! I'm more motivated than ever on the E30, and I can't wait to drive!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: April 22, 2018, 11:44 pm 

ThunderHeide wrote:
I did also find a supplier that sells all sorts of sizes of universal bolt-on flares, made out of ABS plastic, that have pretty good reviews.

Any chance of posting the company info or website? Might be useful info to some builders. :cheers:

Looks like you're make good progress!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 3:50 am 

There's a video on doing intake tubing by "fab forums"(?), where they use medical fiberglass cast tape around forms, then finish it with with a fiberglass or carbon fiber top overlay.

https://youtu.be/7rS7in5COiw
https://youtu.be/9vUO5SR5Oy8

Not sure if that fits what you were looking for, but it's been on my list of things to do when I get to routing intake stuff.

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 8:17 am 

horchoha-

The company is called "Clinched." I found them through ECS Tuning, a BMW aftermarket parts supplier. They do mostly wide body and over-fender stuff on new cars for stance and show cars, but they have several lines of universal bolt-on flares.

https://clinchedflares.com/

300D50-

I saw those videos, and it is something I'm considering. I didn't watch all the way through those videos, but does he show how to actually bond in a bung for a sensor?

Thanks

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 9:19 am 

I don't remember seeing them place a bung, but I last watched it about a year ago.

It could probably be done using a washer, wide section of aluminum/steel sheet, or a purpose made flanged bung epoxied in before the final outer layer goes on the layup.

06 325xi

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 8:17 am 

300D50. I'll look into that, might give it a shot. But I had a thought last night, while cooking dinner. This intake is more or less temporary, until I start on the supercharger project. Why don't I just build a really simple intake out of exhaust tubing? I can just clean and paint it, and the local parts stores sell sections of exhaust pipe I can cut up.

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 3:10 pm 

That works!

06 325xi

PostPosted: June 10, 2018, 8:09 pm 

No pictures to post at the moment, but I've been making progress. Between regular 12 hour shifts, two weddings, and some traveling, what little time I have had in the garage has been full of frantic work, with little thought to documentation. I have a couple pictures, but I will wait to upload them until I have more updates. But I have cut out the rear inner and outer fenders, and set the rear of the car 3 inches lower than the previous picture, which is about where I want it to be. I'm waiting to weld the inner fenders and attach the flares until the car is aligned and driving, so I can see how much travel the wheels will have while moving. Might need to trim more, or mount the flares higher than I am guessing. Also started wiring the MS3X into the car, found some useful charts that other E30 folk have put together. Bought supplies today for injector and coil pack harnesses as well! Gonna have a fair amount of chores around the house coming up soon, with some organization, a new shed to build, and planning some remodeling.

But for now, I'm going to sit at my computer with a movie, some pizza, whiskey, and Autodesk Fusion 360, and start designing the first part I'll be custom machining for the car.

Red 1989 BMW 325is

PostPosted: June 11, 2018, 9:53 am 

ThunderHeide wrote:
But if I can't find anything by the end of the year, I'm seriously considering an engine swap. The swap at the forefront of my mind is the Ford 302. The Windsor, not the Coyote. I would have to hammer the firewall a little bit, and convert to manual brakes, but then the V8 fits pretty snugly in the bay. But anyway, I'm not committing to that anytime soon.

Do it!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next