LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently October 23, 2019, 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 7, 2016, 7:57 pm 

300D50, thanks for the info! They are expensive, but I know that you can get used cores out of a few factory cars that had them. Whether the size and efficiency are right for me, I don't know yet, but I have seen them go on ebay for fairly reasonable prices.

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2004 BMW 330ci (DD)
Red 1989 BMW 325is
In progress 4G63 Haynes Roadster

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 9:16 pm 

Continuing my pattern of little activity, interspersed with brief moments of progress, I have updates. But I have good reason for the lack of progress: lot's of overtime work, turns out the Aerospace industry is pretty booming right now (for us at least), I'm taking my final class to finish college this semester, and most exciting of all... I BOUGHT MY FIRST HOUSE! It hasn't needed much renovation, as it is only two years old, but moving and setting everything up has been taking ALL of my spare time. On that note, I have a blank canvas to play with:

Attachment:
20161229_174956.jpg
20161229_174956.jpg [ 489.91 KiB | Viewed 80 times ]

It is a tandem three car with an extra couple feet in the middle (there is about four feet to the garage door behind the E30). I'm open to any and all suggestions of how to furnish the garage! I'm tempted to epoxy or tile the floors, but I know that can be a lot of money and/or work. Also bigger tools that are really useful to have outside of my welder, and an air compressor.

As for the car, it has been kind of slow there, picked up the rest of the factory suspension parts for the five lug swap, so I still need SS brake lines, some more poly bushings, and the coilovers. Plus I should probably repack the clutches in my LSD before it goes back in the car. I'm also going to go to my friends shop and pick up the junk cylinder head I have to start reverse engineering the intake side of the engine. The intake manifold I'm going to make is going to be a semi-modular design in case I want to change or upgrade it down the road. I've been talking with another machinist at work, who has 50+ years experience and is also a car guy, and we both think that making the intake manifold with the machines we have at work should be totally doable!

More soon...hopefully...

"Stuckness shouldn't be avoided. It's the psychic predecessor of all real understanding." --Robert Pirsig

Grey 2004 BMW 330ci (DD)
Red 1989 BMW 325is
In progress 4G63 Haynes Roadster