LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently December 6, 2019, 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 30, 2016, 12:02 pm 

Thanks for the comments. I've been selling coin banks that I invented for my kids at the New England State Fair (Big E) now for 24 years! It's 13 hours a day for 17 days straight. I've spent more than a year of my life in the same spot! It ends this Sunday. I'm ready to go home.

The body that is in the pictures is an accurate replica of the original Cheetah. It's 68 inches wide and has a 90 inch wheelbase. The Cheetah ran with the transmission bolted directly to the differential.

The body that I'm getting is set up for the C4 width using 14 inch wide tires! It's wider and has a 93 inch wheelbase. I'll have to see if I'm going to build a new frame for that wheelbase or stretch the body. The person that I'm getting the body from has molds for both a Coupe and a Roadster. I believe that my Roadster body will be the first one. He has done a number of Coupes. he does build a dedicated frame for it. But, I'm doing my own frame.

I went to my pictures to see the numbers from weighing the Tbucket. I had remembered the numbers off by 18lbs. Here is the actual numbers. The Cheetah Coupe with a small block, Muncie 4 speed and in racing trim weighed 1750lbs. I do have an LS engine and Richmond T10 with aluminum bellhousing that I could run in the car. That would reduce the weight by around 175lbs I think.

Having fun.

PostPosted: October 5, 2016, 8:13 am 

OMG the Big E? My GF's daughter and her fiance were there, though just shopping. Back when I was racing Karts ('96-'98) I used to go to the Race-A-Rama in March. Still have the Driving suit I bought there. ;-)

The Jag Special Build Log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012

PostPosted: October 5, 2016, 11:49 pm 

Can you show a picture of your coin bank invention?

PostPosted: October 6, 2016, 8:16 am 

Here is a picture of one of my coin banks. I started making my children's toys and accessories after being stuck by a car that was stuck on full throttle and rammed into a parked truck, bumper to bumper. The bumpers were just above and below my knees. I had insurance for the medical bills but not loss of income. I sold a house that I built for money and moved into a Tipi. I started selling puzzles that I made at Arts and Craft shows. When I invented the banks I took them to a show. I sold 970 of them at the first one. I obtained 3 patents and started selling them at Shows and to stores and other re-sellers. That was a long time ago. I've been selling them ever since.

www.bigbellybanks.net

PostPosted: October 6, 2016, 10:16 am 

The banks are very creative and cute. I didn't realize how big they are until I saw the photo of a child standing next to a 36" one. You know what would be nice? A video on the home page showing one in action.

Great idea, all in all.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 15, 2016, 9:29 am 

I'm back home and recovered from the fair. I have a small window of time to work on the car. On the 21st I go to Florida for vacation. When I get back I'm going to NH to give my son a couple weeks of time to work on a house that he just bought. With 5 children there is always something to do. But, it's all good.

I decided that there were some improvements that could be made to my frame. Because I want to use it for a Cheetah body I wanted the seating position to be moved rearward as far as possible. And, I wanted more room for my feet. I want to be able to run a manual transmission. By moving my seating position back I gained quite a bit of room. Because the T bucket body style is quite high in the back I was able to raise the side rail at the rear. This allowed me to better support the Vette Bat Wing diff support. I decided to run this rail all the way to the front suspension. Then I angled a support rail from the rear to the front of the firewall. This allowed more room for my feet. I wasn't sure about the structure of this but with a vertical support at the cowl I think that it is strong enough.

I have a large jig base that I made years ago for another car. It was built on a flat plate. I turned it over and set the quick jig that I pulled from a C4 Vette tub on it. Then I squared the jig up. It ends up the Vette wasn't completely square. You can see this in the rear where my diff support rail is sitting on the jig. The frame is square. The jig isn't.

Having fun.

PostPosted: November 21, 2016, 7:40 pm 

It's been forever since I posted. This fall has been VERY busy.
The tub for my Cheetah Roadster was completed last week. I was anxious to get started on the project so I drove from near Lake Placid NY to Pittsburgh to get it. The Bonnet will not be done for a few weeks so I'm making the drive again!

This body is VERY wide. It also has a 93 inch wheelbase. I got home with it and placed it on my Hot Rod frame. It has a 103 inch wheelbase. I've decided that I don't want to get into cutting the body to make it fit. I've had my fill of fiberglass work. :) So, a new 93 inch wheelbase frame is in the picture. Looks like it's going to be a long winter in the shop.

PostPosted: November 22, 2016, 12:37 pm 

The body looks good on your chassis. I wonder if you could take a technique from the ship building industry (in reverse) and shorten the front of your current chassis using a rolling jig. Could you cut 10" out of the engine bay and still have everything fit? It would be a lot faster and cheaper than making a new chassis, wouldn't it?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886