LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JackMcC's first 4 Banger
PostPosted: June 19, 2016, 2:22 pm 

Early this spring, before the Great Move of '16 sprung upon me, I started working on a "four banger" project, an old old school (pre-V8) hot rod project. For a non-traditional build, it's pretty dang traditional, but it's not at all a traditional Locost so it ends up here.

Anyway, the move brought this to a screeching halt and it's currently at the will-the-parts-fit-together stage. It's Miata based, it uses the rear subframe, and while it's using most of the front suspension parts (hubs, spindles, rack) it's not using the Miata front control arms or coilovers because they're just not an appropriate look for a car like this (nor for a Locost, IMO).

I hope to de-screech this soon, but other projects take priority (a new scuttle for Lalo builders, a windshield kit for Exomotive Exocet builders, a new flange former for our rear fenders...) so I can't offer any sort of schedule, but there was some curiosity so here's a pic. Note the card stock front suspension carriers; those will be steel in the production version. :)
Attachment:
4Banger01.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 19, 2016, 3:09 pm 

ALRIGHT! Another Jack Mac build. I remember the first time I laid eyes on MAX in one of my wife's copies of Mother Earth News (Carol's the 'Greenie' in the family), it was love at first sight, and I hadn't yet learned about LocostUSA. Go, Jack, Go!

Last edited by ngpmike on June 21, 2016, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 21, 2016, 1:25 am 

How about a leaf spring between the arms?

JMR

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: June 21, 2016, 9:17 pm 

Hi Jack,

Great to see someone else building a Miata based pseudo hot rod! My build has been stalled for about half a year (yikes), but I'm planning on ramping up effort:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17167

https://picasaweb.google.com/1039735894 ... suiCruiser

I'm having second thoughts about making a completely scratch built body. I'd love to find an early 30's steel 2-door sedan body to use to expedite the build. Problem is, people are asking a lot of money for rusty old shells.

Where did you get your fiberglass body? looks like a Phaeton body style.

Mark

PostPosted: June 22, 2016, 2:08 am 

mainlandboy wrote:
Great to see someone else building a Miata based pseudo hot rod!
Y'know, it may not be all that pseudo...I know there's folks who think it's not a real hot rod if it doesn't have a flat head V8, but hey. If you want a hotter Miata based hot rod, go to flyinmiata.com and click on Turbochargers.
mainlandboy wrote:
I'm having second thoughts about making a completely scratch built body.
Ya think? Stinger is doing an amazing job, as is Limeykid, but I'm just not that devoted.
mainlandboy wrote:
I'd love to find an early 30's steel 2-door sedan body to use to expedite the build.
Now you're up in the realm of the V8 flatties. One reason I'm sticking with Ts (the '23 T-Bucket as shown, and a '27 Track T on the horizon) is they pre-date the V8. People were hotting up their four bangers--heck, people were racing them--long before the Deuce came on the scene.
mainlandboy wrote:
Where did you get your fiberglass body? looks like a Phaeton body style.
It's a Speedway Deluxe 1923 T Roadster Body. You can find this body and many others at...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/T-Bucket-Bodies/15.html

...and if you decide to get one, please order it from me because I get a bit of a discount, plus it'll help my reputation with them; last winter I convinced them I could develop a Miata-based T kit using Speedway components, but I kinda dropped the ball, schedule-wise, with this surprise relocation.

Speedway makes good bodies at great prices, and that's one wheel I don't want to reinvent.

I'm using the Deluxe body for this first prototype because my GF wants a door. Go figure.

PostPosted: June 22, 2016, 9:23 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
I'm using the Deluxe body for this first prototype because my GF wants a door. Go figure.

The first guy who made a door probably did well with the girls. You can imagine someone bringing a girl home and saying "my cave has a great view", and the girl is like "but Hannah has a door on her cave"....

PostPosted: June 22, 2016, 12:17 pm 

Great project Jack. I did mock up a Tbucket with Miata parts awhile ago. I think its a great fit.

I haven't been able to do much on my build. But, I'm hoping to get back to it in August. Right now, its family things and remodeling and building out a basement on one of my daughters first home purchase. I'm worn out!

PostPosted: June 22, 2016, 2:16 pm 

Quote:
Jack, she probably figured the step-over view would be hard on your heart :shock:

A number of T-buckets have been built using Quad Fours. Trimmed out properly they look a bit like Offy's. The Miata should have the same gestalt. Cool project. 8)

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: June 22, 2016, 3:04 pm 

Looks good, Jack! :cheers:

Will it be getting the little pickup bed to sit on top of the Miata rear subframe, or will the rear be all open?

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 22, 2016, 11:59 pm 

Jack, not to hijack your thread but, here is a picture of the mock up I did of a T bucket using Miata parts. I built a frame that used both front and rear Miata cradles. I didn't like the look of the front end and realized that It wouldn't work for me. I think that you are doing the right thing by not using the cradle.

I was using the Miata fuel tank and as you can see this pushed the body farther forward than I wanted. I had 3 sets of C4 Corvette suspension sitting around so in the end I decided to use them to build my Hot Rod. I like your build and will be watching. Have fun.

PostPosted: June 23, 2016, 3:57 pm 

Thanks guys, I'm glad this project has some appeal.
Driven5 wrote:
Will it be getting the little pickup bed to sit on top of the Miata rear subframe[?]
Yep.
Attachment:
4Banger02.jpg
It has to be a bit longer than the standard Speedway bed (see below), so for starters (yes, of course, the plan is to make a kit for Miata hot rods--you'll note that hot rods in the US outnumber sevens and KV needs to get its numbers up) I'll make right and left inserts that'll be bonded into the Speedway bed (like the inserts we use in the nose to make TTL noses into +4 noses). If this kit markets well, I'm hoping Speedway will make an extended bed for us, but it'll be inserts for a while.

Stinger, hijack any time you like--you've been an inspiration to me. I'm 100% in agreement re the front subframe; on anything narrow-nosed and nostalgic it looks just horrible. The front subframe works okay on the Exomotive Exocet 'cause it's a modern looking car and what little body it has is pretty wide, but on a hot rod or a seven it's...well, imagine a Plymouth Prowler with a front subframe off a Chrysler 300. If the subframe wasn't bad enough (and it is), stamped steel suspension is visually jarring in a car of this nature.

Instead of moving the body forward a la stinger's mockup, I reversed the fuel tank and am extending the bed backward. The tank does fill the bed pretty well, so it's going to get a tonneau, and luggage space will be minimal.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 23, 2016, 4:30 pm 

Quote:
it's going to get a tonneau, and luggage space will be minimal.

Pretty much SOP with "T" Buckets!

PostPosted: June 23, 2016, 8:15 pm 

I think the lengthening of the bed will actually look quite good. It is a shame that Speedway doesn't offer a '27 front half mixed with a '23 rear half though, as I have always thought that would really be cool on one of these too.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 28, 2016, 2:41 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
I think the lengthening of the bed will actually look quite good. It is a shame that Speedway doesn't offer a '27 front half mixed with a '23 rear half though, as I have always thought that would really be cool on one of these too.

unless I am Mistaken, the original 27 T was a Bucket body with an enlarged turtle deck welded on. the modern fiberglass repops just take molds from the whole thing.

Everybody uses the shorty pickup bed. not nearly as attractive as the turtle deck, but that's just me.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.