LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MG J Type replica
PostPosted: January 30, 2017, 3:31 pm 

Hello,

I am a first time builder and am in the very beginning of thinking about planning to build an MG J Type Midget. These were the first of the classic “slab tank” MGs from the early ‘30s. They were built on a straight ladder frame, had a solid front and rear axle, drum brakes, semi elliptical springs front and rear, and a slab sided body.

I do have, I think, above average mechanical knowledge and skills. These include: basic automotive repair, rudimentary sheet metal skills, intermediate level welding skills (stick, MIG, and oxy acetylene), and aluminum and bronze casting. Having said that I realize this project will probably take much longer and cost much more than I plan/budget for and require skills I don’t yet possess.

Some of my initial thoughts for donor parts are:

- MGB for the front hubs and rear axle. The originals had 19 inch wire wheels and I “think” I can use MGB wire wheel hubs and motorcycle rims.

- The J Type has a 42 inch track so I will need to narrow the rear end, the B rear end has straight axle housings and so would make narrowing easier than say a modern Midget rear end.

- As I want to retain the original look as much as possible I do not want to use the B front suspension and steering rack. I will probably borrow heavily from the “T” bucket concept and use a narrowed, commercially available, front axle.

- I have been looking at different engines, in fact that is what led me to this forum. I am leaning towards a Suzuki G13B series, single overhead cam and the corresponding transmission. The original transmission was tiny, the shifter was set back and contained in an aluminum extension that set above the floor; I don’t think I can replicate that but because the J Type is so narrow I will need a small transmission to maximize space in the cockpit.

The J Types had a 876cubic inch, 4 cylinder, overhead cam, engine that put out about 30 hp; I am not looking for a street racer, rather a sedate 1930’s sports car for civilized motoring.

The original bodies were sheet steel on wooden frames; I’m more comfortable working with metal than wood so I am initially thinking of building a steel tube body frame (round or square, not sure which yet) and hanging the sheet metal off of that.
I have collected a fair number of photos and parts drawings that will help me plan, and build, the car assuming I decide that the project is indeed within my capabilities.

Two difficult, to very difficult, parts of the project I recognize now are the swoopy, classic, MG cowl and the radiator grill. If I go ahead with this project I will try to make the cowl myself, I don’t yet know how to make the grill.

That’s about it for now, any help or advice from this forum would be greatly appreciated.

I have been trying to post pictures but have been unsuccessful, I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: MG J Type replica
PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 12:42 pm 

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your little project.

It looks like you managed to post a picture successfully. The J series has many straight sides and components which would be ideal for forming in aluminum sheet. I'm familiar with both the Lotus 7 style and the MG Midget style and I believe it could be done in the metal tube type of body building rather than the steel sheetmetal stretched over wood style of the early MG's. You might think about using some MG TC wire wheels with adaptation to the later MGB hubs. The cowl could be somewhat difficult to form.

I'd forgotten what the rear end of the J series looks like so here's a picture of one.

There's a lot of good information on this site if you decide to go with the tube chassis style and a lot of knowledgeable people to help you out. Again good luck.

Roy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 2:05 pm 

Sounds like an interesting project. Please post more as you get going on it. I've always wanted to build a Q-type, and had dear old dad not sold his MG PA, I probably would have build a Q body by now.

In regards to wire wheels, MG TC wheels are still available (at a cost though) and tires are available from Moss or Coker. The hub splines are the same from the TC through the MGB's along with the Triumph range of hubs (except Spitfire). For the steering box, some of the TC crowd is now using a modified VW Beetle box. For front axles, I think you're going in the right direction with T-bucket bits.

In regards to the cowl and grill shell, you might want to join either Metal Meet forum or All Metal Shaping forum. I can't recall the guys name on one of those sights, but he posted pics of building a Q-type body which showed how to make the cowl.

Good luck with the project, and if you're interested I still have a 750cc Coventry Climax engine (single overhead cam with a modified intake to take 2 SU carbs).

Rod

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 3:12 pm 

Sounds like a very cool project! One suggestion usually made to newbies here, is to post your general location just in case someone is nearby that could possibly be of some help.

Good Luck! :cheers:

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 4:53 pm 

A very pretty car, to be sure! Lots of challenges in the fabrication of some of the parts, but all of them do-able.

As far as the engine is concerned, I'd probably be looking at BMC A-series engines, like the 998 or 1098 cc range. They would look pretty much "period correct", and there's still lots of support for them, at least in the UK. Depending on where you're located these engines can be plentiful & reasonably cheap, or very hard to find (it really would help if you could give us some idea of where in the world you're located!!).

Early Midgets, Sprites, Minis, Austin 1100's, etc. had A-series engines. Reasonably maintained, they are tough, torquey engines that belie their small displacement. I raced & rallied early Minis and Mini Coopers (they were also my daily drivers!) for many years, and despite thrashing those poor motors mercilessly, never had an engine problem of any kind. My 998 cc Mini Cooper Mk. 1 was really quite fast (I surprised many "high performance" cars over the years), extremely economical, and proved essentially bulletproof.

As for the general shape of the car, I agree, it's very much like a tall, narrow Locost, so the exact same build system should work admirably.

Best of luck to you in your build!! You will find an enormous amount of assistance, information, and incredible expertise on this forum. It is truly an invaluable resource!

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 5:38 pm 

Nothing to add but more encouragement. A guy in our local MG club has a nicely restored J2. Great-looking car. It makes a TC or TD look huge. Here's a picture of me and Kaitlyn admiring it at MGs by the Bay a few years ago.
Attachment:
IMG_0712.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 6:20 pm 

here is a custom built (well, being built) speedster with a Crosley Straight 8 (custom built). probably similar in size to the MG_Q.

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 7:24 pm 

Sounds like another great and truly insane project. You will get a lot of help here. If I might I suggest that you use a Midget rear axle. The WW track is only 3" wider. I understand you want to have that narrow look but you could scale the whole car up a tad and have something you could fit in with passenger. Those cars were tiny.

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 7:32 pm 

Quote:
If I might I suggest that you use a Midget rear axle. The WW track is only 3" wider.

The issue with the Midget axle it the hubs, they're slightly different than the standard w/w hub (MGA/B/etc). The cone portion of the hub is slightly smaller and from what I've been told the overall length is slightly different. The Westfield Eleven crowd use them and some have had issues with fitting the 14" and 15" wheels to them. I have a set of Midget fronts in the garage, I can take a pic of them next to an MGB one the next time I'm in the garage if anyone wants.

Rod

PostPosted: February 3, 2017, 4:21 pm 

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

I am excited to get going on this but have a move to New Mexico and need to do some work on my '52 CJ-3A first. In the meantime I'll be doing more research and getting into more detailed planning.

I did check out the Q build thread; I was really hoping an English Wheel was not used but it seems it was. I don't really want to buy one and learn how to use it for just this one panel; maybe I can find a shop in Albuquerque that has one and farm the work out.

PostPosted: February 4, 2017, 2:14 am 

airforcemajor98 wrote:
maybe I can find a shop in Albuquerque that has one and farm the work out.

If you go to one of the larger vintage sports car races you'll usually find several "panel beaters" with booths set up looking for business. I've seen them in the last couple of years at Road America, Circuit of the Americas, Indianapolis and Laguna Seca. I'm sure that one of them could build you a wonderful cowl for a somewhat reasonable price.

Good luck, Bill