LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 6:34 pm 

If you need some more firewall/elbow clearance, a Buick 3.8 FWD "front dress" will bolt up to the 215 block. You have to use everything as an assembly, from the front of the block forward, but it's several inches shorter than the V8 bits.

The 3800 engine looks similar, but the timing cover is different and doesn't interchange, and I'm fairly sure the rest of the bits are different too.

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 10:08 pm 

There might need to be a small bump out in the fire wall. For the water pump but not much. Since I won't need a fan on it. But I did move things back an inch while revamping the chassis & rear susp. Stock Europa wheel base is 94" it's now 95 the same as a Lola T70 (Which I've always lusted after) That way if I ever find a T70 body I could swap it.

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 10:26 pm 

A lot of exotic/race car bodies in the "Kit Car" world. Many of them designed around the VW Bug platform. Wheelbase; 94.5 inches. should be easy to adjust. Ford GT-40 comes to mind!

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 11:43 pm 

For those not up on vintage race cars. I thought I'd post some pics of the two cars that have been my design inspiration for the Lotus redesign. The Lola T70 Mk3 before they changed several things including most prominently the nose. To make the 3B model. The other car is a Chevron B16 sport racer that's kind of like the little brother of the T70. Most things I'm doing including the engine with quad Weber carbs. Is inspired by the Can Am cars of the late 60s early 70s (my High School & college days). So I'm trying to stick within that time period. Like with the tail lights. I could have easily gone with the new LED lights. But stuck with period type bulb lights. First pic a stock Europa.

PostPosted: April 23, 2017, 12:33 am 

I agree with you. The T-70, especially the GT-70, is a gorgeous hunk o' machinery!

PostPosted: April 23, 2017, 10:44 am 

Can I borrow that intake for my MGB V-8! That would look bad@ss under the hood of my B! Sorry, I meant "thru" the hood of my B!!!!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 23, 2017, 11:09 am 

Yeah it would. The Rover & Buick are the same basic engine. There's a couple of companies making special intakes for them. I debated between this & a cross over side draft set up. This one though I wouldn't recommend the company though. The casting is very rough & the port runners were so small inside. I had to hog out almost enough aluminum to cast another one LOL. Do it yourself billet? LOL

PostPosted: April 23, 2017, 12:48 pm 
The voice of reason

I think when they leave extra metal on the inside it's to allow for a professional port job to come out the way the person doing the porting wants it to look.

PostPosted: April 23, 2017, 5:32 pm 

Yes but this was ridiculous the amount that had to be hogged out. If you buy an Edelbrock or other major manufacturer. You don't need to do that. You can just bolt it on & use it. On top of that, one of the ports for the base of the carb was so far off it had to be filled on one side & 3/8 taken off the other.

PostPosted: April 26, 2017, 1:18 pm 

This building you own body is like the sign "You don't need to be crazy to work here. We'll train you" LOL Getting the clearances & things to line up just right. Just when you think it's right you find high (or low) spots etc. Getting to the point I can take a mold off seems rather elusive. Think I'm going over to Coast Air Brush & look about a new spray gun. One I can get a bigger tip for. To really lay on the primer. I've been using a HF gun. But it has a #2 tip & I think a 3 would be better.

PostPosted: April 26, 2017, 1:25 pm 

What primer are you spraying? I have Coleman gun(yes, the lantern/camping gear company) with a 2.0mm tip I got at a pawn shop. It REALLY puts it on there.

PostPosted: April 26, 2017, 2:03 pm 

It's a heavy fill poly (fiberglass base)

PostPosted: April 28, 2017, 9:23 am 

Great project, I am getting flashbacks from thx1138 from some of those photos for some reason too :wink:

PostPosted: April 30, 2017, 7:20 pm 

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2011/10/2 ... l-or-fake/

Guess no one wanted to admit to actually seeing that one :?

PostPosted: April 30, 2017, 8:24 pm 

Lola built & sold a lot of T70s during it's run. Well "a lot" compared to most race cars of the time. The early models were completely obsolete by 69/70. Every car crashed in the making of "Le Mans" was a T70 chassis. Including the spectacular crash of Mc Queen's car (an accident in it's own right LOL). A Porsche air cooled? Next time you watch, there's steam pouring out from the ruptured radiator & hoses. But the camera chase car was a cut down GT40 too. Old race cars weren't worth a dime once they became obsolete back then. They weren't "Vintage" yet & certainly not collectible. Now days some are worth 2 or 3 times (& more) what they sold for brand new from the factory.