LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Pamilcar
PostPosted: April 20, 2018, 11:03 am 

Hey Tommy...

I'm pretty convinced this car has lived it's whole life outside, and a lot of that parked over grass or dirt. there's really a lot of rust everywhere. I'll be able to clean up the control arms, differential housing, etc, but I'm absolutely going to have to sand blast a lot of it.

this is what the front suspension looks like currently.

Attachment:
20180418_130801.jpg

the front subframe is pretty rusty on the ends, but doesn't appear to have been compromised. the middle section is pretty well oiled. ;-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: April 20, 2018, 4:09 pm 

I was pleasantly surprised to find the main components in my totally rusted out MGB donor in good shape. Ugly, greasy, dirty, but cleaned up well. Mostly. Disassembly wasn't as difficult for me because most of the bolts were missing, i.e. pre-removed.

PostPosted: April 20, 2018, 9:21 pm 

That's the crustiest front end I've seen on a Brit car. I wonder if it got driven in snow and slush when it was younger?

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: April 20, 2018, 9:46 pm 

I had pretty good results derusting some crusty subaru control arms using electrolysis. Lots of videos on the Tubes of You.

PostPosted: April 23, 2018, 9:32 am 

TooBusy wrote:
That's the crustiest front end I've seen on a Brit car. I wonder if it got driven in snow and slush when it was younger?

Well, it's lived it's whole life in the northeast, so, yeah. Roadsalt too. It's pretty nasty, but salvageable.

My son was over Sunday for some yard help, and we also got in some Jaaag time.

The driveshaft came out.

Attachment:
20180422_150034.jpg

I see a very simple expedient for shortening the driveshaft, simply by ditching the skinny back half, and moving the differential flange to the larger forward section. Both lengths are balanced from the factory, and I'd rather not disturb that if I don't have to. That will definitely get the engine behind the front axle.

We also did a hot compression check, and the numbers are great! The factory manual specs 135-140 PSI compression pressure at normal running temp. The numbers we saw ranged from 138 to 148, which indicates good cylinder sealing. When it started (it hadn't run since the weekend we brought it home) it ran rough a bit, and after it had warmed and I revved it up, it puffed a bit of blue out the pipes, but then that went away and didn't come back.

The good compression numbers, and the initial oiling out the exhaust says to me that the valves and rings are sealing really well, but there might be a bit of oil leakage past the valve guides/valve stem seals when its cold.

I'm pretty convinced there's no need to open this engine up, though I still need to determine oil pressure. The dashboard gage doesn't work currently, though it's pretty obviously got oil pressure, since it made it home from Springfield, and has put up with my hoofing it while it was warming up for the comp test. if its got good oil pressure, I'm definitely not opening it up. I'll set the valve clearance, check cam chain tension, clean it up, replace the leaky gaskets, and call this thing good.

And the chassis design proceeds apace. Again, it takes cues from the B-3, but there are some notable differences. Drivers sight line is 41 inches off the ground. it'll be low, but not crazy low. ;-)

Attachment:
pamiljaaag1.JPG

Attachment:
pamiljaaag3.JPG

more as it happens...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 7:18 am 

I've had to take a bit of time away from the Pamilcar Jaaag Special (PJS) for the B-3 which needed another clutch refresh, but I've gotten a bit more done on the design itself, as seem below.

Long, low and lean. Rowwwr!

Attachment:
pamiljaaag1b1.JPG

Vroom!

Attachment:
pamiljaaag1c1.JPG

bombing on by...

Attachment:
pamiljaaag2c2.JPG

Planning on having my son come out Sunday and getting that awesome Jaaag rear end out. Pics as it happens!

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 3:38 pm 

Looks really good, Robb, but I wonder if you might do something else with the windshield.

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 4:46 pm 

A Duvall type will match up with the rear better.

PostPosted: May 1, 2018, 5:21 pm 

The Voices want to know what one of those Jaguar SS100 body kits sells for...

PostPosted: May 2, 2018, 7:18 am 
We are Slotus!

TRX wrote:
The Voices want to know what one of those Jaguar SS100 body kits sells for...
They talk to you too??? Cool...
Attachment:
Voices Go Silent.jpg

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 3, 2018, 12:21 pm 

hey guys...

Nick, Rich, I just threw the original Pamilcar windscreen into the model to get an idea of what a windshield might look like, that won't be the final form. A Duval-style would look kewl, but it would make the wiper mechanism more complex than I want (having to wipe on two different planes) and I'm planning on re-using the XJ6 mechanism on this car.

TRX, take a look at Suffolk Motorcars. SS100 replicas are NOT cheap.

In other news, I have found out that the Jag XK 4.2 6-banger weighs in at 605 lbs, which is about what I expected. Its rather a lump. ;-) That's gonna make keeping to my sub-2000lb goal challenging.

JD, I AM the voices. #heresy4lyfe

PostPosted: May 12, 2018, 1:03 pm 

Hi Rob
I've just spent several days working through the B-3 build - learned a lot and enjoyed a lot - whilst in the process of collecting my own bits together which, where I am, is proving less than straightforward. I've always intended a M/C engined 3-wheeler but of late I've been considering a V6/V8 4-wheel... so I'll be watching this build with great interest.
Good luck - MangPong.

PostPosted: May 21, 2018, 8:24 am 

Thanks mang!

Anyway...

So, whilst the XJ6 sits outside on the stands waiting for things to happen...

Attachment:
20180520_134137b.jpg

...one of the first tasks in this proj is to make space in the G'raj, because, well, there kind of isn't any.

Attachment:
20180504_174820.jpg

yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I built that shed...trust me, it's filling up nicely.

Anyway...

in order to apply some small level of logic to the task of clearing space, I measured the XJ, and determined that I'd need a space about 6 feet by 15 feet (which would fit the XJ6, but that's not going in there), and so whipped out the tape measure and a yellow construction crayon, and got to work.

Attachment:
20180520_134157b.jpg

Measuring from the base of the right-side wall out 6.5 feet, I marked it off in two places, and - after pushing the B-3 out of the way - used a laser level to mark off the line towards the back wall...

Attachment:
20180520_140453b.jpg

...and marked it off at 14 feet...cuz I didn't quite have 15 before hitting the wall, or getting rather closer than I was comfortable. Then I cleared stuff and swept the floor a bit...

Attachment:
20180520_140507b.jpg

...and, see all that stuff over there? That's all gotta go somewhere, not sure where, but it can't be there.

I'm planning on taking this Thursday off work to get the rest of the build space organized, and then start drawing some lines on the floor...

Build Table? Schmild Table...;-)

I've set myself the aggressive (I think) goal of having a roller in the G'raj by this coming September. it means, I believe, a summer-long thrash. My guitar teaching year is done the end of next week, and after that, I will need to be out there almost every day after work, and at least one weekend afternoon, about. 15-20 hours a week maybe?

its gonna be Gud Tymez, yo. ;-)

PostPosted: June 1, 2018, 9:10 am 

From tiny acorns, the might Oak doth grow, or, so I have heard.

Anyway...

These builds have fluid lives, growing and developing each in their own way, evolving from the Idea into the Thing. In that evolution, initial plans change, or are redirected to a more logical - or, really, less resistant - path, much like a river following the course of least resistance.

Thus...

I got back out to the G'raj, Thursday last, and began the process of clearing the right hand side to make the Jag Special build space, and of course had to push the B-3 outside. I then saw this...

Attachment:
20180524_101844b.JPG

The Three Amigos, right? Anyway, My Calibrated Eyeball (tm) determined that the XJ6 and B-3 would absolutely fit side by side, in the width defined by the G'raj door (161 inches in fact, cuz I measured) and so , Rather than having to find a place for all that stuff over there against the right wall, I could just clear a path down the side, that had the inner right hand edge of the G'raj door opening as its boundary. With that in mind, I measured and marked the door opening centerline...

Attachment:
20180524_115430b.JPG

...and then extended the line to the back of the G'raj, using my framing square and laser.

Attachment:
20180524_121057b.JPG

Boring, right? But, now, Left side, B-3, Right Side, Pamilcar/Jag Special (PJS), each in its own space, and they fit...mostly.

Then began the very enjoyable process of laying out PJS chassis on the floor in bright yellow crayon. WITH LASERS! Dr. Evil approves this methodology.

Firstly, the drawing...

Attachment:
Chassis drawing.JPG

Assuming that the edge of the G'raj floor was square, I measured and marked off the middle of the PJS build space...

Attachment:
20180524_123315b.JPG

...arbitrarily marked the rearmost chassis edge near the door, and used my groovy laser projector to mark the chassis CL out about 14 feet.

Initial sighting...

Attachment:
20180524_130534b.JPG

...aligning the yardstick to the laser...

Attachment:
20180524_131334b.JPG

Attachment:
20180524_131350b.JPG

...and convenient box top as laser projector screen 14 feet downrange.

Attachment:
20180524_131337b.JPG

With the CL marked, I could place the various chassis stations...with TWO LASERS (and really I want at least two more. Can't ever have enough lasers. Ever. Not even possible.)

Attachment:
20180528_120742b.JPG

the entire process of creating the chassis layout took two days. Thursday ended with the general outline complete...

Attachment:
20180528_151806b.JPG

...and then, Friday, I got underneath the XJ6 for some more - oily, rusty, grimy - measuring...

Attachment:
20180528_154113b.JPG

...and... TO BE CONTINUED.

PostPosted: June 1, 2018, 9:31 am 

CONTINUED...

...completed the chassis layout, marking the envelopes for the engine and transmission tunnel.

Attachment:
20180528_171149b.JPG

Then, on Wednesday 5/30/18 I cut the First Tube. Fanfare! Alarums!

Attachment:
20180530_192439b.JPG

See that bench? that thing has followed me around since the late 1980s, and has seen two other builds. The not-completed Dirt Machine, for which The Bench was built...

Attachment:
20160326_094658.jpg

...and of course, the B-3. I want my body laid out on it at my funereal. Anyway...

The second tube was cut from the same length of 1.25 SQ .083 wall ERW, and both placed on the floor layout...

Attachment:
20180530_193303b.JPG

A whole bunch more sparks flew over the next couple hours - I was gratified to find that my mitering skills had improved since the B-3 build - and , as dusk descended, making the last few mitres by headlamp, I had me an initial chassis structure ready for welding...

Attachment:
20180530_204602b.JPG

There I stopped, and will continue over this weekend. Guitar lessons are done Monday 6/4, and I am very confident I'll meet my rolling chassis goal of September. Oh yeah...this thing is getting real. For serious. ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next