LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Pamilcar
PostPosted: June 18, 2018, 2:53 pm 

No worries Lonnie.

Rod here's the envelope model I'm designing the Jag Special around. I need to adjust it a bit for the oil sump (right now the model takes the depth of the sump all the way forward) this envelop includes pulley area and the very end of the head which extends slightly beyond the bellhousing attachment.

Attachment:
XK engine envelope.JPG

...with the exhaust envelope (estimated)

Attachment:
XK engine envelope2.JPG

Some may recall how I'd post live from the old G'raj, back when I was building the B-3, but my new phone takes pics that are too big (in data size) for the forum, so I have to wait until I get them on the lappie to shrink them.

Anyway...

...welding is FUN!

Attachment:
180344.JPG

That silliness out of the way, it was time to fab up the forward taper gussets. I had done the same thing on the B-3, where the engine cradle joins the passenger compartment at the firewall, and had decided that this bit of over building would make me feel really good. so...

Cutting the gussets out of .125 x 2.0 mild steel strap with my fabulous Ryobi recipsaw. I love that fricken thing. Favorite tool. It's bomber, dude.

Attachment:
172527.JPG

Ta-DAAAH.

Attachment:
172942.JPG

Then I flopped the chassis bottom over, ground the weld beads flush, clamped things in place, heated the gusset red hot and beat on it with a hammer, a bit, to get full conformance.

Attachment:
174230.JPG

Weldy McWeld sez, looks MINT!

Attachment:
185751.JPG

then I flipped the chassis bottom back right side up and the lovely forward chassis bulkhead got the full welding treatment, and I was gratified to find it both straight...

Attachment:
062417.JPG

Attachment:
062357.JPG

...and level...

Attachment:
062519.JPG

...and parallel to the front crossmember below...

Attachment:
062539.JPG

...and since 12 attachments is the limit, and work intervenes, you'll just have to wait until tonight perhaps. trust me, its gets better.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: June 18, 2018, 3:00 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
most efficacious!!

PostPosted: June 19, 2018, 7:15 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Weldy McWeld sez, looks MINT!
Weldy McWeld talks funny like y'all do up Nawth?
What a disappointment... How-some-ever, he's right, that chassis looks good!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 20, 2018, 12:54 pm 

What follows occurred over the course of about the last week or so.

Okay, so anyway...

Next on the hit parade was the Dashboard Bulkhead, I figured, and because I'd done such an awesome job building the floor area square, I was able to use that as a fixture.

But first, a trip to The Forest of Magnets...

Attachment:
062839.JPG

...I really think I need more.

anyway, I laid out the dashboard bulkhead crosstube and verticals right on top of the passenger floor tubes, and fixtured them there with a bunch of magnets...

Attachment:
115142.JPG

...checked square, yup, good...

Attachment:
115223.JPG

...and after a gratifying session of welding, had this to show for my efforts.

Attachment:
124415.JPG

Nice and straight, yup.

Attachment:
124433.JPG

MangPong had asked about how I was going to maintain flatness and squareness of the chassis, and what you're seeing is my methodology for that - measure and check both, at every step in the process. I have been constantly checking twist between the rearmost tube and the front crossmember, and after welding in the dashboard bulkhead, I did notice a 1 degree clockwise twist from front to back, and so...

...I set things up using those concrete blocks...

Attachment:
162123.JPG

...and applied sufficient opposite torque...

Attachment:
162847.JPG

...such that it was fixed.

Attachment:
163552.JPG

The PJS is getting the XJ6 suspension in its entirety, with the Jag subframes eventually welded into this chassis structure - that's been the plan anyway. So, 5 days ago I got under the Xj6 and measured the width of the front subframe, which includes the steering rack. I was a bit annoyed (at myself, if I'm honest) to find that I was about .75 short of the distance needed in the forward suspension bay to fit everything, and so that tube would need to be cut out and moved.

...I need a minimum 14.5, 13.75 was enough for the subframe alone, but...

Attachment:
151505.JPG

I wanted to be generous with space, so I moved the tube back to allow 15.5 in the front bay.

Attachment:
164410.JPG

And, after some welding and recipsaw fun...

Attachment:
120119.JPG

...I again checked chassis twist...

Attachment:
121102.JPG

...and, on Monday night, began the upper structure for the engine bay.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 20, 2018, 1:04 pm 

Hey Rob... as promised, I'm following this process with fascination...

PostPosted: June 20, 2018, 1:30 pm 

It was a dismal evening outside the G'raj Monday, after a blazing hot and humid day.

Attachment:
192345.JPG

The XJ6 looks so sad.

But, I got out the usual crap ton of magnets, and soon had four of the engine bay station verticals in place. only one required adjustment "bonging" with the deadblow hammer, the rest were pretty good.

Attachment:
192329.JPG

I cut the long top tubes with their 8-degree parallel end mitres - my mitering skillz have most definitely improved - and zapped them into place.

Attachment:
203129.JPG

You may (or may not, I suppose) have noticed that I'd added some 2-inch concrete blocks on top of the 4-inch blocks supporting the chassis off of the floor. I'd done that to get the chassis at its designed ride height. It also made the height of my son's old folding chair sit at just about the correct height for First Drive Antics!

Attachment:
204942.JPG

"buh-waaaaAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

Last night, I once again had fun taking the B-3 to n SCCA Track Night America event at Thompson speedway - they won't let me play in the run groups, but the touring laps are still fun, and I did howl the back tire at one point, and aired out that passenger side front tire a couple times.

Yeah, I strafed that apex...

Attachment:
strafing the apex.JPG

...but after that lap session I headed home (a ride which is all about the chill two lane rural roads, its really fun) and added the first two angular braces for the passenger box. Those mitres were more challenging, the vertical end at 36 deg, and the floor end at 54. I was just about at the angular limit of my chop saw. But I was not to be denied, and as I was pushing the B-3 out of the G'raj for the morning commute, this was my view.

Attachment:
052509.JPG

That's where it stands right now. I'm climbing tonight, and tomorrow hosting the Rose Room Revue open mike, and Friday Pam and I are headed back to Thompson Speedway for the annual Vintage races, but I expect I'll be able to get a couple short sessions in between now and the weekend. Saturday my son Cody is coming out, and I'm planning on some Jag Time with him.

PostPosted: June 20, 2018, 1:40 pm 

Vintage races, hmmm.
If any Lotus 19's turn up please ask about any available chassis details.
Trying to put together some drawings.

PostPosted: June 21, 2018, 2:00 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
mmmmm tasty updates.... I'm still working out a size and ride height that will not look awkward using the stock chrome Jag wheels with my intended quasi-interpretation sort-of-replica touring car.....

PostPosted: June 21, 2018, 2:27 pm 
We are Slotus!

And the winner in the "intended quasi-interpretation sort-of-replica touring car" category is... :mrgreen:

Good description though... I like it! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 21, 2018, 3:39 pm 

Racoon, yeah I too like your description.

the PJS is going to be like that, no matter that it has the BW66 autobox. its' going to be as close to 2000 lbs as I can get it, which is 2075 lbs less than the stock XJ6. That on its own will improve every aspect of measurable performance in the car. I'm going to keep the suspension nice and tight, just like the B-3, It can't help but feel sporty, y'know? ;-)

The stock one-legged 2.88 differential is going in, but I am looking for either an XJS or XJ12 posi from the same era. Not looking very hard, admittedly, but if one turned up for a reasonable price...

Anyway, last night, before I went climbing, I flipped the chassis over to weld the top tube joints, nad after I got done with that, sat down to admire my handiwork.

Attachment:
175051.JPG

Then I spent some time adjusting blocks, and getting the chassis back in position over the outline on the floor, and then did a bit of setup for adding the rear passenger box tubes (which are angled at 22 degrees), and the top rear passenger box tube.

Attachment:
181415.JPG

There was much measuring and bumping with the heel of my hand to make small movements. But success was had...though this blurry pic isn't much confirmation. that bubble is, in fact, level.

Attachment:
181442.JPG

one other thing that's been really gratifying, is the fact that when I flipped the chassis over, and set it on the blocks, in the same position that it had been when right side up, it didn't rock or tilt, even a little and when I applied My Calibrated Eyeball (tm) looking across the flats and along the sides, I perceived no misalignment or twist.

I know, that's not measuring, but the eye is an effective tool for spying out misalignments, so, I'm meeting my tolerances. And that makes me happy.

You're right JD, this chassis is, so far, looking good.

PostPosted: June 22, 2018, 8:48 am 

I think you'll find that the celebrated Calibrated Eyeball is pretty damn close. Factor in suspension parts, drivetrain and everything else, and a frame can be -made- straight in the end even if it's cattywompus as far as being level. I've had TR frames bare nekkid on the shop floor and they were everything BUT level in some cases. Of course, they're ladder frames and designed to take some twist in action. We'd prefer nice straight frames with these designs. My plan is forming up as a thirty footer mini-Blower Bentley. Thirty footer, because any closer and all illusion would fade into the aether..... and "mini" because I have no idea where to find funding for 19" wire wheels on Jag bolt pattern.... it'll have to be scaled down to make the 15" wheels look correct in proportion to the rest of the car. We'll see.....

PostPosted: June 22, 2018, 9:51 am 

@Raccoonman
I think you phrasing is correct, "I have no idea where to find funding for 19" wire wheels on Jag bolt pattern...." However, there are still companies who make custom wire wheels. So, I pass this on to you just in case it's of value. It's one of our oldest manufacturers.

Custom Jag Wire Wheels ==> http://www.daytonwirewheels.com/gallery ... es_iii.php

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 22, 2018, 2:24 pm 

Yeah it's the funding, sir, not the ability to find someone who makes them! Mine is truly a "shoestring" build, as I have no disposable income to invest in it and must use as much scrounged material as possible! Which is, by the way, I'm having such a blast with this particular thread!

PostPosted: June 28, 2018, 10:15 am 

It seems I am constructing this thing so much more quickly than the B-3, that I barely have time to post the updates here...

Last Saturday afternoon my son Cody came out and we spent an enjoyable afternoon building on the chassis. He's an Art major, and can cut a pretty great miter...

Attachment:
152633.JPG

...for quicker reference, I'd printed out some full E-size drawings of the chassis.

Attachment:
095521.JPG

Anyway, with the chassis still upside down. I'd gotten the passenger side rear passenger box angle post set up to the desired height and 22-degree angle.

Attachment:
172920.JPG

Lemme tell ya, one of the best Ideas I've ever had was incorporating the use of concrete blocks for set-up, establishing ride height, and holding things in place. They're great, Best Tool Evar, so much Mint.

Equivalent measured angles, thanks...

Attachment:
141723.JPG

...and then the sides of the driveshaft pass-thru, made of 1 x 2 .083 rectangle tube. Cody cut this miter, perfectly, it slipped right in without any massaging at all.

Attachment:
152648.JPG

He mitered another tube, it slipped right in, I welded it all up and then we flipped the whole thing over and he cut the tubes that define the bottom of the rear axle/suspension support structure. They're just laid in place in this view.

Attachment:
161205.JPG

That session came to a close and Cody went home. Sunday rolled around and I began constructing the sides to the Passenger box.

I decided on one design change on the fly, adding a vertical between the fore and aft angular side tubes. A clamped length of 1 x 2 made a convenient locating plane...

Attachment:
131726.JPG

Now that I've got so many of the big welding magnets (I bought two more this week, for a total of eight) , I find I'm not clamping pieces for welding,hardly at all. Magnets and concrete blocks are the new clamps.

got the verticals welded in on both sides, driver's side rear angle mitered and welded, passenger side rear angle mitered...and... ran out of shield gas. Damn it. And I was doing so good.

anyway, I did take time to place the upper driver's side longitudinal, and scribe the insides for measuring and mitering.

Attachment:
153739.JPG

...which led to quite possibly the best free-hand angle-grinder miter EVAR, in all of Christendom and the pagan lands...seriously, I cut this freehand, on scribed lines, with my angle grinder and an HF cutoff wheel.

Attachment:
174631.JPG

I match-cut the passenger side tube from the Driver side, magnetted them in place, and then quit for the weekend.

PostPosted: June 30, 2018, 12:23 pm 

Always glad to see progress even if my own is somewhat stalled for lack of material. I have been mocking up pieces using plywood and scraps. Also determined to use as much jaguar engineering as possible to make use of everything from the xj6 that I saved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next