LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Pamilcar
PostPosted: July 27, 2018, 12:41 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
Robb,
It may be a little late for this advice, but why don't you build yourself a rotisserie?

I had thought of that, actuially, but made the choice not to, for a couple reasons.

The first and foremost is space. the Jag Special chassis is long, and is going to get longer, as I still need to add the tail section which will house the fuel tank and a small trunk area. it's already within 2 feet of the far end of the G'raj and 3 feet of the G'raj door. There's simply not enough room.

The Second is build time. Building the rotisserie would take time away from the actual building of the car, and I am determined to beat my self-imposed deadline of Sept 30 for having a roller.

TooBusy wrote:
My kids loved the Sprite swing in the garage for a while.

I have every confidence in its essential joyrideyness ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 10:49 am 

So, playing with fire...

I knew what I had to do, and so I got out the torches and cutoff wheels, and made sport of it all.

What you're going to see are a mix of pics from both driver and passenger side, but the process and results were the same for both.

This is what it takes to get XJ6 LCA pivot pins out once they are catastrophically rusted in.

First, apply the cutoff wheel to make the initial section cuts exposing the pin tube.

Attachment:
185644.JPG

Next, fire up the torch and cut away the remaining metal...

Attachment:
173835.JPG

...leaving a fine pile of debris.

Attachment:
173820.JPG

Cut the web supporting the forward end of the tube in the subframe. Try not to lie on or kneel in any hot lava. you'll probably fail, but...

Attachment:
173951.JPG

Begin cutting the web at the rear of the LCA pivot, until it can be bent down and partially out of the way.

Attachment:
175501.JPG

cut the remaining segment of web, let the LCA fall to the ground.

Attachment:
175547.JPG

Revel in your destructive tendencies. What a fine crater!

Attachment:
175605.JPG

Carefully cut the frozen pin from the LCA on the chop saw...

Uno...
Attachment:
190034.JPG

Dos!

Attachment:
182046.JPG

Pound the remaining pin segment from the LCA pivot boss...

Attachment:
195437.JPG

...and mock everything up for fun!

Attachment:
200324.JPG

As mocked up, the tire is almost two inches inside the track measurement, and I've just about run out of tube for building the front suspension support structure - I need more 1.0 x 2.0 x .083 - but I've enough to get some of it put together. With any luck that will happen before Pam and I head off to our yearly two weeks at Plum Island, happening this coming Saturday.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 1:31 pm 
We are Slotus!

Ya know... Explosives might have been simpler, certainly would be quicker and for damn sure more entertaining... Just sayin'... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 2:13 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Ya know... Explosives might have been simpler, certainly would be quicker and for damn sure more entertaining... Just sayin'... :mrgreen:

Moe: " I think we'll have to BLAST!"

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 8:25 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:

If you are not having a blast building your car, then change hobbies! Maybe try home made fireworks? :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 9:07 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:

If you are not having a blast building your car, then change hobbies! Maybe try home made fireworks? :cheers:

I see what you did there.

PostPosted: July 31, 2018, 2:37 am 

You know, years ago when I had hair, I listened to the wisdom of an old 'body man' at work. He told me he painted company vehicles like a baseball game - a few hits, a few misses, some runs, and some errors. He worshipped WD40. Rubbed it on his elbows to ease his arthritis. Said it was even good to loosen seized parts on vehicles. Told me he sprayed WD40 on rusted bumper bolts just before quitting time, next morning came to work, bumper was sitting on the floor! No BS!, well maybe just a little. But that's what he said, so I still have a can of that in my shop til today, somewhere.
That's not saying the gas axe doesn't do just as good a job.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 31, 2018, 7:36 am 
We are Slotus!

horchoha wrote:
He worshipped WD40. Rubbed it on his elbows to ease his arthritis. Said it was even good to loosen seized parts on vehicles. Told me he sprayed WD40 on rusted bumper bolts just before quitting time, next morning came to work, bumper was sitting on the floor!
In a former life, I was in charge of a bunch of geophysical logging rigs/operators. When I trained a new guy and he made his first "solo" we would have a little party and give him his "Well Logger's Tool Kit." It consisted of a roll of electrical tape, a can of WD-40 and a lock blade knife. I would tell him, "If you can't fix it with these, come back to the shop." :mrgreen:

And on the subject of fire and explosions, if you put a can of WD-40 on a fence post or a rock or something with a wad of paper in front of it and then set the paper on fire, back off about 20 yards and shoot the can with a .22 pistol, it will make a GREAT fireball! Looks even better at night! Uhh... At least that's what I've heard... Not that I would actually DO such a thing... :roll:

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "Party Tricks"--
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 31, 2018, 10:34 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
if you put a can of WD-40 on a fence post or a rock or something with a wad of paper in front of it and then set the paper on fire, back off about 20 yards and shoot the can with a .22 pistol, it will make a GREAT fireball!
JDK

Oh, now that idea is in my head. thanks Pal. ;-/

Anyway.

Over the weekend, my son helped me do a bit more of a precision mockup. we draw a line on the floor at 29.125 from the marked chassis CL (equivalent to half of front track). Cody marked the CL of the tire and we blocked it all up with the incredibly useful concrete blocks.

Attachment:
163110.JPG

Height-wise, I'm good on the LCA. I'd had the idea of setting the LCA pivots parallel to the Chassis centerline (rather than angled back the stock Jag 15.5 degrees) , but the foremost tube at the radiator bulkhead is too close, and the LCA pivot CL is a bit too offset for effectively welding a crush tube into the upright...

Attachment:
163156.JPG

...so I'm going to fabricate the front suspension mounting as designed, which looks about like this:

Top view...

Attachment:
F susp mount.JPG

Right view...

Attachment:
F susp mount 2.JPG

... and Last night, I got the 11.25 high UCA cross-tube mounts in...

Attachment:
183454.JPG

tonight, I gotta get creative with the angle grinder so I can install the LCA inner mounting tubes...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 24, 2018, 2:14 pm 

well, it's been a few weeks, 'cuz I was on vacation. I had even created locost-ready pics, and saved them to my external HD and brought it with me in the thought that I'd post the updates from there, but naaaah...though I did edit that B-3 viddy that had been ripening since last march. So there's that.

Anyway...

before Pam and I headed off for two weeks of Plum Island awesomeness, I did get the LCA mounts mostly welded in, all that activity happening between 7/31 and 8/3.

First, I had to cut clearance notches in the original forward tubes to make room for the new LCA mount longitudinals - made of 1 x 2 .083 rectangle, seen here fitted and clamped to a positioning tube which was clamped to the two chassis stations bracketing the front suspension bay.

Attachment:
170645.JPG

Then those tubes got the weld...

Attachment:
171444.JPG

...and then I felt compelled to show off my underneath-welding technique. Oh yeahaaar, I gotz da SKILLZ.

Attachment:
171345.JPG

LCA rear mount cross-brace tube added, and the original lower side tubes cut out...

Attachment:
141756.JPG

...and once the tube cut remnants were ground flush, the forward LCA mounting stub tubes were added.

Attachment:
143222.JPG

Welding applied, flatness checked...

Attachment:
153941.JPG

LCA more accurately placed in mockup form...

Attachment:
164205.JPG

..and, later that same evening, pretending to race around Thompson Speedway.

Attachment:
215341.JPG

Then, for two weeks...

Attachment:
beach.JPG

But, I'm home now and the proj proceeds apace, as it were, and if you follow me on FB you've already seen the rear axle goodness. I'll post that here in a couple days or so.

Prior to the Vaca, I'd run out of steel to make the front control arm upper mounts, and didn't have the correct material for the LCA pivot mounts, but that's shipped as of today so yeah, wheels on the ground by Sept 30? Yup. Lookin' good.

PostPosted: August 24, 2018, 2:49 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Pro Tip: SUNSCREEN

PostPosted: September 27, 2018, 1:28 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
You didn't get washed away in any hurricanes, I hope? Since my own project languishes in limbo, I need yours for vicarious reasons

PostPosted: October 2, 2018, 1:22 pm 

Hey Raccoon... and everybody else who might have been wondering. I did not wash away, neither have I died (more than the little bit I die inside every day, I mean really, y'know?) and the build proceeds apace - even though I've blown right thru that "have a roller by the end of September" nonsense. Mostly I haven't kept up with this build log because I have to edit every single pic so that the database here will accept the picture size, which - as you may imagine - is kind of a pain in the ass. But I'll update you here as to what's been going on since Pam and I got back from or vacation on 8/18/18...8...18...1818818818818818818881818881818. sorry, got a little carried away. 818.

Anyway, I thought I'd keep on with the front suspension mounting, and so on 8/18 fabbed up and welded in the front middle crossbar, which will also be key to the fitment of that snazzy Beck sprint car nose.

Attachment:
F crossbar.JPG

...a couple days later, 8/21, logic got the better of me and I decided that rather than continuing ewith the front, I'd finally get that nifty jag rear end out and hey I should get that mounted in a couple weeks right? HOW HARD COULD IT BE??

So after liberal application of the 1000lbft impact...

Attachment:
jag rear out 1.JPG

it sorta fell right out on the ground - in a semi-controlled fashion, see that jack there.

Attachment:
jag rear out 2.JPG

It sure seemed a lot bigger and heavier than I'd thought it was, when it was still in the car...

Attachment:
jag rear out 3 821.JPG

...but whatever, I dragged it up into the G'raj and called it a night.

August 22, I got busy with the disassembly, as a cursory look showed that there was really no way that whole thing, subframe,e and all, was going into the space I'd allotted in the chassis. I began a bit of resectioning...

Attachment:
jag rear sect 1 822.JPG

...got everything out of the way but the top section with the differential case and shock mounts...

Attachment:
jag rear sect 2 822.JPG

...and the next evening, 8/23, flipped it over and removed the bottom plate and the remnants of the lower control arm pivot plates (which are saved for later use).

Attachment:
jag rear disassem 1 823.JPG

Then came an exciting sequence! FIRST FIT CHECK!!!!

Urrrr. seems a little tight, ya think?

Attachment:
jag rear first fit 1.JPG

hmmm, uh oh...

Attachment:
jag rear first fit 2.JPG

*jostle, wiggle, jack up, lower, push, pull, lift, drop, jiggle, wrestle, twist, rinse, repeat*

...and then...

CLANG. It fell right in.

Attachment:
jag rear first fit 3.JPG

It was even sorta in the middle, though I'm going to have to clearance cut the left side driveshaft tunnel rear tube.

Attachment:
jag rear first fit 4.JPG

And, as that was enough for that night, so is it enough for this post,

To be continued on August 25th

PostPosted: October 2, 2018, 2:03 pm 

Previously on "The Pamilcar"... see above post.

August 25th I began the process of leveling centering, and straightening the rear end in it's new home.

I'd taken a look in the jaguar factory manual hoping it would lsit axle droop at ride height, but it didn't, rather giving a distance from the ground to the bottom edge of the subframe bottom plate. My Calibrated Eye thought that the angle on the drawing in the book looked to be about 5deg, and so I checked horizontal level on the top of the differential case mounting bolts, jacked the axles to 5 deg droop, and made some tubes to replace the shocks and hold the axles at that angle. luckily it turned out that 1.5 square tubing raised the differential housing up just the right amount so that the stock wheels and tires slid right onto the lug bolts. Yay, as it were.

Attachment:
jag rear levelctr 1 825.JPG

then began two evenings of tweaking the position of that assembly until, on 8/27, I finally realized I wasn't going to get it any closer to perfect center and straightness than I'd gotten is, sat back, and said aloud, "Enough!"

Attachment:
jag rear levelctr 2 827.JPG

...And clamped it into place using both the lower control arm brackets...

Attachment:
jag rear levelctr 3 828.JPG

...and the pinion snout.

Attachment:
jag rear levelctr 4 828.JPG

The next evening, 8/28, (after measuring the positions of the top shock mounts in relation to my scribed-on chassis datums) I cut the original Jag safety wire...

Attachment:
jag rear unbolt 1 828.JPG

...and removed the last piece of the original subframe for the last time.

I made sure the pinion snout flange was at zero in Y...

Attachment:
jag rear pinion angle 828.JPG

...measured the angle of the differential case top mounting surface (5 deg if you're wondering).

Attachment:
jag rear top mount angle 828.JPG

...and once again called it a night.

Oh, in a bit of serendipitous happenstance, I found that I could use the orginal subframe bottom plate to clamp the differential case into the frame, clearing up space formerly occupied by my giant 6-inch C-clamps. Pic from 9/02.

Attachment:
jag rear low pan 1 902.JPG

Then I spent a week or so thinking about things, looking over my notes in the infamous and ever-wonderful build notebook, and finally came up with what I thought would be a good mounting plan. Probably overly complex, but y'know, what could possibly go wrong?

First, on the evening of 9/06, I cut and drilled some 1 x 2 x .083 tube for half-inch bolts, for a test fit.

Attachment:
jag mount 1 906.JPG

That seemed to work okay. Next up making crush tubes to weld into the tubes. I cut some .75 x .156 wall polished DOM at the edge of the rain.

Attachment:
jag rear crush tubes 1 906.JPG

While it poured down buckets...

Attachment:
rain 906.JPG

...I drilled the tube sections for half-inch bolts.

Attachment:
jag rear crush tubes 2 906.JPG

...and that's the 12 picture limit, so we'll continue on September 9th...

PostPosted: October 3, 2018, 7:56 am 

Excellent progress! I've actually begun a new chassis with 2x4" steel tube and straight flat rail between the front and rear suspension kickups. Worked up a design for an engine cross member last night; should be able to fabricate it this evening and maybe get it welded in. Also working on mounts for the rear radius arms.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next