LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: September 17, 2019, 3:01 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
Nice story. And I can relate coming from many years in electronics industry and instrument repair and design. However JD, the only place you saw the word "Zener" was in your post. And now in mine. :boxing:
Hi Chuck- Actually, our boy Perry used it in his post.
horchoha wrote:
Somewhere in my brain I think there is a solution to this by installing a zenor diode in the fan 12V wire to prevent it from backfeeding voltage.
So, I'm not totally delusional. And I guess (maybe) neither are you! :mrgreen:

Ahhh. I see it now. I searched for Zener, not Zenor! :BH:

Perry, a zener diode will limit the peak voltage generated by the fans. Once the voltage exceeds the specified voltage, the Zener will conduct to ground. I don't think is your problem. I believe that the problem is the same circuit is powering the ignition circuit as the fans. Separate these as mentioned earlier and I believe your problem will disappear.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 17, 2019, 3:41 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
Ahhh. I see it now. I searched for Zener, not Zenor! :BH:
"Zenor" must be the Canadian spelling... Or the way Captain Morgan spells it... Could go either way with Perry! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 17, 2019, 6:02 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I agree with Chuck. Relays usually are wired directly to the battery through a fuse to pin 30/87 with the control side through the key or main relay controlled by the key. Powering pin 30 through the fuse bank fed by the IGN circuit (4) defeats the purpose of the relay.

Also make sure the relay is what powers the fan and not the key switch.

The relay itself may have a diode across the control side (reversed polarity) to control spikes from the collapsing field of the control coil but the downside to having this diode circuit is delayed opening of the relay contacts when the key is turned off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 18, 2019, 12:15 am 

Larry, Chuck, JD, John, MV8, thanks for all the feedback.
To clarify the fan relay circuit, I am using a relay, 86 is fed by the ignition term of the key switch, 85 is terminated to ground. 87 goes to the fan and 30 is fed from a fused ignition part of the fuse block. 87 is also tied to a fan indicator light on the dash. What led me to believe I was having backfed voltage in the first place was the fan indicator light stayed lit after I shut the engine off (a delayed shut off) til the fan wound down. What I can't get through my head is how could the fan backfeed voltage through the relay when 30/87 open when power is discontinued to 86. That is unless 86 is where the power is being backfed, keeping the coil energized for a second or two after the ignition key is off, that is the only way I see the fan back feeding the circuit.
Like I said earlier, I proved the fan is the culprit by unplugged the relay. The engine shuts down immediately with the fan relay unplugged.
I'll try feeding 30 right from the 12 term block and see if there's a difference.
The other thing I'll add is that when I had the wiring cobbled together to start the engine before I installed the fuse block there was no back feeding issue, but I had 30 getting power directly from the term block and 86 was terminated at the ignition terminal of the key switch, so the only things that have changed are 30's 12v source and the fan indicator light. I unplugged the fan indicator light and still had the ignition shutdown delay.

Lonnie - That seat was fabricated using the rear seat of the Toyota donor as the center section with the front bucket seat cut to use the outer halves so that it has an adjustable/front folding option. It's like a super wide bucket seat now.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 18, 2019, 9:28 pm 

Busy day today. Started off pulling out the PT Cruiser and giving it a bath with the car wash. Then I pulled out the S10 Super Se7en and removed all fenders and nose to take to my son's place for paint this winter. Been almost 2 years now and I figure I'd better get er done and legal for 2020.
Back to the build.
The Capt'n and I had a heated discussion about the size of the 3 3/4" dia air filter that came with the engine. Myself, knowing from experience says 'size doesn't matter as long as it does the job satisfactory'. The Capt'n says 'go big or go home'. Well to make a long story short, I fabbed up an air filter base and lid for a huge 6" dia air filter, that made the Capt'n and wifey happy.
Another fix today was taking 12V power from the 12V power bar on the firewall to supply fan relay term 30. No more delayed ignition shut down. Guess the fan winding down was back feeding voltage to relay term 86, which is tied into the same section of the fuse block that was suppling 12V to term 30. I'll put an inline fuse assembly to safe proof the circuit. I believe John wins the prize for explaining the simplest solution, but everyone wins a booby prize for all the spirited input. Come on down to Holden to claim your prizes!
Attachment:
IMG_5562.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_5563.jpg

Another thing I love to do is mock ups, it gives inspiration to further the build.
https://youtu.be/MqYADM-VHv4
I had to laugh, back in 1950 there was no park circuit for windshield wipers, you parked them yourself.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by horchoha on December 11, 2019, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 19, 2019, 8:30 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
everyone wins a booby prize for all the spirited input.
So... What size booby are we talking about? (Because size matters!) And also, don't those things usually travel in pairs? :rofl:
Quote:
Come on down to Holden to claim your prizes!
The only person that could come "down" to Holden has a red suit, a long white beard and only travels on Dec 24th... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 19, 2019, 11:02 am 

You wiper video is very cute, Perry.

Is that little silver button between the vents for your starter? If so, that's something I haven't seen since my 1940 Ford convertible 60 years ago. I doubt anyone under 65 would even know what it is.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 21, 2019, 2:43 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
The only person that could come "down" to Holden has a red suit, a long white beard and only travels on Dec 24th...

Ho ho ho ha ha, you called me out on that one JD. Okay everyone, you can come UP to Holden to get your booby prize.

GonzoRacer wrote:
So... What size booby are we talking about? (Because size matters!) And also, don't those things usually travel in pairs?

Iffin memory serves me correct JD, around 45 years ago, when I was a 15 year old hormone, I didn't care if I could feel one booby prize or two booby prizes. A person just bragged to his friends that he got to feel the prize, no matter what size...................oh to be 15 years old again :cry:

Lonnie-S wrote:
Is that little silver button between the vents for your starter?

Lonnie, that little silver button is the ejection button :rofl:
Actually, it's the location I chose to put the windshield washer button. This is an addition as the Topolino didn't have that in 1950. Another addition I'm installing is lap belts.

PostPosted: September 21, 2019, 10:43 pm 

Went out to the shop for a bit. Fabbed up a heater plenum. I'm using the same heater that I used in my Bushmaster airplane, it kept the cabin very toasty and this cars cab is near the same size. Another thing is that I will not be driving this car in the winter. Some fab and install pics. Will get 1 3/4" defrost ducting to marry the plenum to both firewall inlets.

Last edited by horchoha on December 11, 2019, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 22, 2019, 7:05 pm 

Went to my dad's today to celebrate his 92 Bday. Had wifey, her mom, our kids, and grand kids all together.
Thought I would share one pic here. Wifey is holding Alley, 2 years old, to help my dad 92 years old to blow out the candles. 90 years difference between the two, each with the same amount of hair!

Last edited by horchoha on December 11, 2019, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 22, 2019, 7:44 pm 

Nice!

PostPosted: September 23, 2019, 11:39 am 

Great photo of your dad, wife and Alley. You've got to be encouraged by his longevity - bodes well for you.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 24, 2019, 7:37 am 
We are Slotus!

That is one great picture, Perry. Tell your Dad I said "Happy Birthday!" and give that little one a hug from her Uncle Bubba.

:cheers:
JD

PostPosted: December 11, 2019, 2:48 pm 

Day by day I am slowly re-uploading all the non existent attachment pictures for this build. Starting at the last page and working my way to page 1.

PostPosted: April 8, 2020, 9:14 pm 

So I'm back on the Topolino build. I fact I'm enjoying it so much and want it to last so long I decided to take the body off the frame today for something to do. Took about 4 hrs.
Attachment:
IMG_6719.JPG

Actually last fall I noticed I had a tranny oil leak :BH: after driving it up and down the lane and the runway. Go figure, this trans was rebuilt back in 2015 and was never put into service by the original owner. I assumed everything would be fine, but hell no. Washed the trans down, there was fluid on both sides of it. Now to try and find the leak. Possible kick down shaft and/or shift shaft.
Attachment:
IMG_6720.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_6721.JPG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next