LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: December 4, 2018, 1:16 pm 

airframefixer wrote:
Maybe I missed it.. but what other ratios are available for that diff?

I know the cressida carrier will take 4.11 to 3.08.

I went after this diff for it's 2.92 ratio (BEC friendly), tiny/light package, and the availability of a Torsen version (HA!!)... I actually don't know of any other ratios for this diff (at least not sourced from a Rav4-).. although surely Toyota used it elsewhere in their line(??).. I just haven't done any research on it..

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: December 4, 2018, 9:50 pm 

Ok good to know.. I'm using 94.5 miatas drive shafts as well so this diff looks like it will only be frame mods... I may pursue if my 4.11 gears get old.. I've never driven or live with a BEC. So I'll find out.

Good stuff here..

PostPosted: December 5, 2018, 11:43 am 

airframefixer wrote:
Ok good to know.. I'm using 94.5 miatas drive shafts as well so this diff looks like it will only be frame mods... I may pursue if my 4.11 gears get old.. I've never driven or live with a BEC. So I'll find out.

Good stuff here..

I think your 4.11 set may be ok depending on what you intend with the car.. my first diff in my old BEC project (N600) was a Miata 4.10 chunk, and I couldn't swap it out fast enough.. With my VFR800 powerplant, it made 1st gear useless, and had my freeway RPMs up around 7500... Having said that, I was building it as an all-around street car, so I had to make a change for drivability...

If you're building a track/autocross car, the 4.11s may work... probably a try it and see deal.. In my case, I ended up with a 3.08 ratio in the prior build and I was happy with that... On this current build (Berkeley), the 2.92 and slightly different tire size will have me very close to where the 3.08s had me before, which is my goal, as I liked the way the prior BEC drove; a nice all-around street car that I can take on the freeway for more than 5 minutes :lol:

--ccrunner

PostPosted: December 5, 2018, 12:21 pm 

So why are you building 2 of these?

Love is why :wink:

Let me explain.. In 1991 I married the best woman in the world.. I've loved Lisa since I first spotted her in our High School sophomore English class in 1984.. Ours is the stereotypical high school romance, and in our case, all these years later, our marriage is one of the things in my life I'm most proud of.. I adore this woman, and somehow our love for each other continues to grow stronger as we go through this life together.. She's incredible.. I no longer question how we got so lucky to have ended up together... She lights up a room.. She is the center of my world..

Ok, enough of that :roll: ...so how does this relate the the Berkeley build(s)??.. It was about a year ago (December 2017) when I was out on a long run, and my mind was wandering (long runs are the best time for introspection :wink: )... I was thinking that our 30th anniversary is coming up in a few years, and that my sweetie has been asking for years to go to Italy.. My joke is, "Isn't the Olive Garden close enough?" :lol: Apparantly it is not :| ...So I'm thinking we're both middle school teachers, and we do 'ok' financially, but can we afford a trip to Italy? How to raise a bit of extra money? I briefly contemplated teaching summer school for the next 3 years, but that would likely result in my suicide, or me in prison for killing one of the students, then Lisa would have to go to Italy alone, which sort of negates the whole '30th Anniversary' trip..

So how to make a few extra bucks?..

If only one of us had a passion that results in a product that could be brought to market that might make a few dollars profit.. Something that could be created over the next 3-ish years.. Something that person would enjoy making, and could be proud of, and it could actually sort of be a slow-motion love letter to his deserving wife..

...if only :wink:

PostPosted: December 5, 2018, 12:57 pm 

So you can see where this is going, right?

I came home from my run excited to talk to my bride about this scheme to get us to Italy in 2021 for our big 30th anniversary celebration.. I explained that surely there's a demand for a small, oddball, overpowered classic car.. that if I build it, they will come!.. that along the way, it will seem like a pile of junk, but eventually, someone, somewhere will pay real money to own this thing, this freakshow toy car, this thing that most people will laugh at; but in the end, there will in fact be an enthusiastic few who will think it's the coolest thing ever... Don't you see it Lisa? THAT is the person that will buy this car that I have yet to build! I'm thinking I'll find a 1950's British car that no one's ever heard of, put an off-the-beaten-path Japanese bike motor in it, and build my own frame.. because I love you.. ....THIS is our ticket to Italy! :D

This is where most wives would see fit to set their husbands straight, and proceed to grind this endorphin-fueled adrenaline dream to a halt.. "It will cost too much.. No one will buy it.. We'll lose money.. You're over your head.. Nobody likes the weird things you like.. It's too dangerous.. Why can't you just watch football like normal men?.. My next husband will have money.." You know, they'd say things like that: but not my wife :wink:

Without missing a beat, she lied to my face and told me it's a brilliant plan.. She's no dummy.. She knows there are a hundred reasons this won't work, but the cool thing is, she loves me, and she believes in me.. In her mind, in that moment in time, she tamped down the voice of reason that was screaming at her from inside her head... she simply gave me a kiss, and said "If anyone can do this, it's you."

I told you she's pretty great :mrgreen:

Last edited by ccrunner on December 5, 2018, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 5, 2018, 1:16 pm 

And so I'm making 2 of them..

Really the first one is the test mule... As you guys know, the prototype is the hardest.. Once I've run my course on the steep learning curve for Berk #1, I figure Berk #2 will come together somewhat quickly and much more easily..

And so here we are.. As I build this first car, I've been duplicating the one-off specialty bits (adapters/linkages and such) and documenting dimensions for later replication... The plan is to bring one of these Berkeleys to market in spring of 2021, and very likely keep the other Berkeley for myself (hey, I wouldn't build it if I didn't think it was cool!)... It's somewhat likely that over the next few years I will be ready to pass the Volvo 1800 onto the next caretaker, having this 'extra' Berk become my sole classic car..

So we'll see.. this grand experiment may be a total flop.. perhaps.. or maybe it will work out well.. I don't know.. What I do know is that my uber-cool wife is now invested in my latest project... For some reason, she seems to be really interested in this one :lol:

--ccrunner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by ccrunner on December 19, 2019, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 10, 2018, 11:53 am 

Dec 9, 2018

A few weeks ago our roll-up garage door folded on itself, and this Saturday the washing machine pooped out.. seems like it's always something.. so as these things go, Saturday was spent tearing the front load washer apart to find the door boot seal had torn, sucked a sock into the narrow in-between space where the water flows under the barrel, and had jammed the barrel against the housing, melting the belt in the process.. So a door bellow, a belt, and a whole Saturday later, we're back in the clothes washing business- yay! :roll:

Sunday I was able to get on the Berkeley for a short time.. Not a ton of progress, but I'm beginning to solve some space problems at the rear end.. It doesn't look like much in the pictures, but I've now figured out how to get a solid mounting surface for the starter (reverse motor), and I was able to move the LCA inner pivot/anchor points 'in' to allow for longer lower control arms.. Old design called for 6.5" LCAs, new design calls for 10" LCAs...

Not sure if it's reasonable, but with Xmas break coming up from school, I'm hoping to have this thing on it's wheels by end of break (Jan 6th).. Not life-and-death, but that would have it on it's own weight one year from the beginning of parts-gathering.. It's really more of an ego thing, but it would make this slow process feel like it's moving forward... It's tough to watch these TV shows that do a body-off resto in 44 minutes, while I just spent all day in the garage and added 8" to the frame :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by ccrunner on December 19, 2019, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 17, 2018, 12:46 pm 

Nov/Dec 2018

Clutch issues..

I learned I cannot easily fit the OEM clutch slave cylinder back in to to it's job, so I fabbed up a mechanical lever that essentially pulls down on the clutch rod.. I actually used a very similar setup in the N600 project and it worked well.. The challenges were mostly packaging the piece into a limited space (which I'm learning is usually the case on these BEC projects :roll: ).

In the end, it fits up behind the Hawk sprocket adapter, and ultimately up behind the giubo and giubo adaptor.. Lots of little bits in a tiny patch of real estate...

--ccrunner

Last edited by ccrunner on December 19, 2019, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 17, 2018, 12:48 pm 

Last few of the clutch linkage..

Last edited by ccrunner on December 19, 2019, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 17, 2018, 12:57 pm 

Looks good from here. that's pretty much like I was thinking it would have to go. I should have mentioned it earlier. BTW, that's an interesting application for a heim joint. Does the female threaded end simply slip right over the shortened clutch rod or did you thread the rod? :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 18, 2018, 12:14 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Looks good from here. that's pretty much like I was thinking it would have to go. I should have mentioned it earlier. BTW, that's an interesting application for a heim joint. Does the female threaded end simply slip right over the shortened clutch rod or did you thread the rod? :cheers:

"...The female threaded end simply slip right over the shortened clutch rod..." This is exactly it Chuck.. I shortened the threaded female end of the heim by about 1/2" and drilled it out to the size of the clutch rod.. On the N600 I welded the rod and heim together, but this go around it occurred to me that there's no reason to join them..

--ccrunner

PostPosted: December 18, 2018, 12:34 pm 

December 15-16, 2018

Up next is the adapter from the Hawk piece to the giubo, which technically makes this an adapter for an adapter :lol:

Pretty straightforward as I need to go from the Hawk 4 bolt pattern up to the Saturn Sky (giubo) 3 bolt pattern.. As this is coming together, it occurs to me that I'm introducing more weight into the driveshaft/car than I'd like to (these bits are beginning to add up!), but I need to be ok with it, as the N600 project taught me that a BEC absolutely NEEDS to have some sort of cush/'give' in the driveshaft.. In this case, it means including a giubo.. Really I need to get over myself when it comes to weight on this car... I save weight where I can, and where I can't, that's just what the build needs to be safe and/or reliable.. Truth is I'm not a good enough driver to lament that the car could weigh 9 or 14 or 22 pounds less.. it is what it is.. It is my hope that if I build this thing to the best of my abilities, it will come in at < 1000 lbs, which is plenty light I suspect..

--ccrunner

Last edited by ccrunner on December 19, 2019, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 18, 2018, 12:37 pm 

Last few for this adapter..

Last edited by ccrunner on December 19, 2019, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 18, 2018, 12:54 pm 

Rear upright lower pivots..

Had to slightly modify the Miata rear uprights at the lower pivot to allow the use of a 1/2 bolt where Mazda had a metric bolt.. Easiest solution was to ream out the metric holes up to 5/8" and sleeve them to allow the 1/2" bolt to fit snug as it should..

From there I went on to start fabbing the rear LCAs.. The passenger rear is the more complex side as I need to work around the starter/reverse/frame in this area.. Not a huge deal, but it makes for a funky looking LCA :D

Again I feel like I'm overbuilding and adding extra weight, but I intend to drive this thing hard from time to time.. Maybe a few extra lbs, but the trade off is I'm confident in the design for strength..

(**LCA is not yet fully built in these pics)

--ccrunner

Last edited by ccrunner on December 19, 2019, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 18, 2018, 9:50 pm 

Hi, just to say I'm still enjoying following this thread...
One little query: were you unable to acquire a metric bolt/heims...? I have a similar problem in reverse, being only able to source metric...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 88  Next