LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 29, 2024, 3:54 pm 

Hi I bought a 2003 BMW k1200rs but should have gotten a Lt transmission now that I know it had a electric reverse. My options are to find the Lt transmission and change the starter with what ever else I need to make it work or see if there is a way to connect a car transmission to what everyone keeps referring to a car engine in a motorcycle. I'm new to all of this. I know a car transmission would be heavier but it would be a lot easier then a button reverse. I don't know if it would even be street legal with the motorcycle setup. I'm really new to this. Originally I was looking at a gl1500 or 1800 but I got this for a good price. Now looking at the cost, I'm realizing it might be cheaper or at least easier to buy something else. I'm hoping someone could help me out. I'm learning all of this as I go and haven't been able to find an adapter or a way to adapt this.

Has someone used this engine for a build?

I've read a second set of fuel rails have been used but I'm wondering what would happen if I used bigger 440, 580, 650 cc ev14 injectors in the original rails?

Honestly 200hp with more torque would be better for my daily driver. Would the stock pistons hold up to low boost with shims or simply doubling up on gaskets to lower the compression a bit if the engine couldn't take higher compression? You can probably tell I'm pretty lost right now and might blow up the engine without some guidance. It would at least be a learning experience but I'd rather not damage the opel gt it's going in.

Eventually finding a gl1500 or 1800 with a big supercharger style blower is what I want more for looks then power. I thought this motor was a boxer then found out it was an inline on its side like a smart car.

I found out the motor spins in the wrong direction so will need to use a front axle from a 4x4 to make it move forward in the correct gear.

I'm throwing myself at the mercy of you. Help me so I don't make too many more stupid mistakes please.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 31, 2024, 11:40 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

First, post a few pics of the bike and the opel. Doesn't need to be clean or nice.
An intro biography on your hands-on skill set?
Back story on the opel?
Based on what you've said so far, sell everything...

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 2, 2024, 5:02 am 

Finding a K1200LT transmission and adapting it to your K1200RS is possible, but it would require:
Locating a compatible LT transmission.
Parts and expertise for modifying the drivetrain (clutch, driveshaft, etc.)
Expertise to ensure proper operation and safety.

PostPosted: April 13, 2024, 3:26 am 

I only purchased the 2003 BMW k1200rs motor not the motorcycle.

I am having to compress the pictures down but the system hangs when I try to load more then 2 pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 13, 2024, 3:50 am 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
First, post a few pics of the bike and the opel. Doesn't need to be clean or nice.
An intro biography on your hands-on skill set?
Back story on the opel?
Based on what you've said so far, sell everything...

I've tried to post a message with pics but I have to make them smaller and only w are able to pay at a time. I consider myself a beginner mechanic but I've fixed my friends beetle and worked on my cars through our the last 20 years.

From what I can see, the bellhousing from the motor looks like it's the same bolt pattern/shape of a transmission like a ECU or others but it's on its side or upside down. I have looked at gears inside transmissions. I've checked with many ships but they just want to replace the entire thing instead of switching gears. There is a person that changed a 6 speed to a 5 speed with reverse but I can't find any information on how to do it. That is way out of my league. I don't see why I can't mplace a reverse gear before neutral and slide back 1,2,4, and replace 5 with something that would work on the highway. No one wants to look. People say I can install a quaife. I'm using it for a daily driver not a race car.

I am not going to run from this. I'm going to stumble and pick myself up as many times as needed if no one is going to help. If this motor won't work then I'll buy a snowmobile motor next to try. For that matter I might rip the transmission off this and connect a m1100 clutchesqnd reverse if I'm on my own just to see if it works. For some reason it clicks in my head. Everytime I think I understand how transmission works with connections a person says nope too difficult for me to do it. Again I might take everything apart to really understand and then go to a junk yard to look at many transmissions.

Im surprised no one has given any advice to me. There must be some people that have used this motor....

PostPosted: April 17, 2024, 10:47 am 

shiver22 wrote:
From what I can see, the bellhousing from the motor looks like it's the same bolt pattern/shape of a transmission like a ECU or others but it's on its side or upside down.
You'll have to go well past what you can see to find something that matches. You will almost certainly have to make an adapter plate. I believe Smokey Yunick wrote a book on how to do that, I may still have my copy someplace, but man, it's a lot of work.
shiver22 wrote:
There is a person that changed a 6 speed to a 5 speed with reverse but I can't find any information on how to do it. That is way out of my league.
No sheep, Sherlock! It's out of everybody's league. It's a five digit dollars job.
shiver22 wrote:
I don't see why I can't mplace a reverse gear before neutral and slide back 1,2,4, and replace 5 with something that would work on the highway. No one wants to look.
Trust me, people have looked -- perhaps not with your particular engine, but BEC folks have been wrestling with how to get a reverse for I'd guess a hundred years (I know I've wrestled with that problem for over fifty years). But to answer your specific "I don't see why I can't" question, it's because there's no such thing as a "reverse gear," reverse requires an intermediate gear between two drive gears, to reverse the direction of rotation, which means a shaft for that intermediate gear, and a case to hold the existing gear shafts plus that new intermediate shaft...a big project.
shiver22 wrote:
Im surprised no one has given any advice to me.
MiataV8 did. It's a daunting problem, and I think you'd be better off focusing on how to get your car to go in reverse, rather than redesigning the gearbox. Even people who already own lucrative motorcycle factories use electric reverse rather than gear reverse.

PostPosted: April 17, 2024, 12:54 pm 

Hi Shiver22.. Welcome to the board 8)

I can't speak to your chosen powerplant, but I'm on my second bike-engine car build, so I can speak to the process.. Having done this 2x, I do not recommend chasing a reverse gear on your first build.. It can of course be done (an inline FNR box/ an electric reverse/ an expen$ive Elite Racing MX200 racing diff), but reverse is a feature you'll rarely use. My first BEC did not end up having a reverse (for awhile I ran it with a divorced car tranny to achieve reverse, but it just added weight and complexity so I eventually took it out).. My current BEC build does in fact have a one-off electric reverse, but I try to not use it as it's crude and loud and clunky, and it's just as easy to push the car backwards as needed (which is rare).. I have even considered taking my electric reverse out to remove about 20 pounds from the car (building a BEC is a constant battle to save weight wherever you can)..

I've always loved the Opel platform, and I think you've got a great concept.. Looking forward to where you take this..

A final thought.. DO spend the time and effort to include a "Giubo" (rubber donut shock absorber thingy) into your drivetrain.. The bike tranny needs this 'anti-shock' protection to last..

Good luck.. Please start a build log with lots of pics :cheers:

--ccrunner

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com