LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 10, 2018, 4:57 pm 

The goal is to get it running and able to pas safety inspection. Might make it pretty later, might not.
Free fixer upper,
Attachment:
GTRR,001.jpg

Attachment:
GTRR,002.jpg

adding a 5.0 efi, 5 speed 8.8 rear.
17 x 8 wheels, 245x45r 17 tires.
It's done when it's done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 10, 2018, 5:07 pm 

Narrow a rear to size. How much to have one=Cost of rear plus about $300 for custom length axles.
Attachment:
Ranger 7.5 rear,001.jpg

The ford rears have 3 rivets/plugs attaching each of the tubes to the center section. Scribe the tube at the joint, draw a line down the length of the tube and mark the amount you want to take off. With the plugs out, press the tube out, cut off the end, press back in and weld.
How much depends on the tire and wheel used and how much space you need in between them.

The plan is to start the work on a spare Ranger rear in a few weeks. This will be a proof of concept done on a 7.5.The right side ( 26.5" axle ) is already 3" shorter than the left ( 29.5" axle ) because of the offset for the gas tank on the left.
The site I got the idea from is no longer up, but pictures and notes were saved.
Once I get the first one finish, I may be open to reworking just the housings for others. time permitting.
Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 10, 2018, 8:41 pm 

Undoubtedly, you will be removing the brackets etc. for new ones to match the MGB springs etc. Why not simply cut the tube midway and reweld. That way you can be more certain that the axle's axis's' (what is the plural possessive of 4 axis?) are all aligned.

BTW, welcome to the MGB GT club :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 11, 2018, 8:09 am 

I would trust this method to provide accurate alignment more consistently.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/shortening-the-ford-8-8-rear-end-quick-question.793153/
Attachment:
GTRR,003.jpg

Attachment:
GTRR,004.jpg

Ron

PostPosted: December 11, 2018, 10:15 am 

Ron,

It sounds like you have a plan with respect to the rear axle. My only caution(s) to you would be the size and weight of the Ford 8 inch axle. I have the 7-1/2 inch from my Mustang donor. I wish it were both smaller and lighter for my Locost. It's the sprung to un-sprung mass issue that most worries me most, but I wanted a 1-donor build and this is a consequence of that choice.

Your MGB will be heavier with respect to the un-sprung part than my Locost, but not nearly as heavy as the vehicles the 8-inch axle came from.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 11, 2018, 5:15 pm 

rx7locost,
Wouldn't be hard at all to set it up to use the B springs. I'm thinking 3 or 4 link and panhard bar with coil overs.

Lonnie,
How are you? It's like this.... a WC T5 only takes so much hp/torque. The plan is to build the engine to make all that the trans can handle. Conventional wisdom advises upgrading to an 8.8 when pushing that amount of power. If Rat Gt comes in at or around 2000 lbs, I'll be more concerned with remembering to pack extra drawers in the OB tool kit than a few extra lbs of unsprung weight. This build is just for fun.
Oh yeah, also planning on power steering and maybe cruise control and a tow hitch.
Ron

PS Wondering if I could use these attachment points to mount a third link Bracket.
Attachment:
1988_ford_mustang+rearend.jpg

Last edited by STranger 7 on December 13, 2018, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 11, 2018, 5:35 pm 

More detail.
Once the rear is cut down to use the shorter Ranger axles and wheels and tires are bolted on, The front Mustang II dropped spindles and their wheels/tires can be placed at the same track width and the 91" wheel base for the MGB.
Then the front suspension, using a Fox Mustang rack, can be worked out. Then the task of fitting the suspensions to the MGB GT shell.
I'm leaning toward a full frame and roll cage. Replacing a lot of sheet steel with Aluminum. Either way the sills will be replaced and if the uni-body looks sound enough, sub frames may be all that's required.
Looking forward to finding out.
Ron

PostPosted: December 15, 2018, 9:14 pm 

STranger 7 wrote:
rx7locost,

PS Wondering if I could use these attachment points to mount a third link Bracket.
Attachment:
1988_ford_mustang+rearend.jpg

Think I saw someone dong that on Corner carvers; also see
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/611 ... 65-Mustang

PostPosted: December 16, 2018, 12:26 pm 

There are a number of ways to solve the 3-link issue. Those holes up top the rear are meant for suspension links. I wouldn't do it as the example in ProTouring. Your link would conflict with too much. The big issue I found with a 3-link is packaging. It's hard to get a top link of sufficient length. This is why I ultimately decided on using a 4-link setup.

That said, it can be done. Remember Rod's 5.0 Locost (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1586)? To get sufficient length, he took the Cobra replica solution and put in a big structure, which has the rear pivot behind the axle.

I would do it differently and use those mounting locations to host a structure which had its pivot up top and symmetric with the axle itself (the pinion is offset). The Cobra replica approach is (I believe) based on the old C-Type or D-Type Jag approach which was used to control torque loads on the axle. There's noting wrong with that, it's innovative, but kinematicly more complex and you have to know more to make it work right.

If you design a non-standard tunnel, you could provide for a longer upper link.

Cheers,

PostPosted: December 16, 2018, 2:12 pm 

twentyover,
That builder sure did put a lot of thought into that setup. Realistically the limited space under a MGB needs a more compact solution. I'm Thinking about bolting a single assembly to all four holes that places the end of the link top center, like Lonnie is suggesting.. rough sketch
Attachment:
1988_ford_mustang+rearendwith Brkt,01.jpg

Keith Tanner details a three link setup in his MGB GT build log,
here
http://www.slowcarfast.com/MG/diary.php?UID=202
to here
http://www.slowcarfast.com/MG/diary.php?UID=214
I want to avoid welding to the cast housing, that's why the bracket.

PostPosted: December 16, 2018, 9:09 pm 

It looks like you're on the right path, Ron. I'll be looking forward to your final design.

Cheers,

PostPosted: December 18, 2018, 6:22 pm 

Some more info from The MG Experience web site.
https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?40,2274922
Ford Ranger 7.5 modded to use stock leaf springs.

PostPosted: December 20, 2018, 2:54 am 

An alternate to using the upper 4 link ears might be to have a bracket engage the rear cover screw holes on the top and bottom of the differential housing. Install cover, install bracket. Seen one used on a 200 hp race car.

Another alternate is to reinforce the diff cover and weld bracket directly to it

PostPosted: December 20, 2018, 10:18 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

FWIW, the aerostar comes with a compact 3 link 8.8. Not optimum location but it is the least invasive. You could copy the location with a bracket. I'd be happy with ranger width leaf springs and liners, then fit GT350 type traction bars.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 20, 2018, 12:04 pm 

twentyover.
Thinking that a piece using the top cover bolts and attaching to the front where the link bolts on will help stabilize the setup and reduce stress at the 4 link ears. Cover bolts are a bit on the small side. There's not much room above the axle at that spot on the body.The link will need to be in front of the housing cover flange.

MV8,
At this point in time, it's pretty much a case of doing what I can with what I already have. The good news is that I've been a busy old pacrat since the trip down the Locost rabbit hole began. The rear axle choices are, 8.8s from a Mustang 3.27 gears and a Turbo couype 3.55 gears. or 7.5 from Rangers and Mustangs.Gears ; 3.08, 3.45, 3.73, and 4.10.