LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BEC Willy's Build
PostPosted: July 9, 2019, 9:57 pm 

Hey everyone, I'm starting to get parts in, and began making videos for my build, '46 Willy's CJ2a. I figured this was the spot to show the progress as it happens.

To start, this is my first full build, but I'm very familiar with fabricating/engineering/mechanical in general so hopefully this goes fairly smoothly. For some things, I definately need to get help from people on here who have a lot more experience building cars, and hopefully I can put a different perspective on some things for others as well with my backround/enginuity.

The Build (wishlist)....

* '46 CJ2a
* Full custom frame notched and possibly welded into the body (completely level with bottom)
* Pontiac Solstice knuckles (all 4 corners using rear knuckles)
* Pushrod suspension
* Flat floor from front to back with rear diffuser
* ZX10r front mounted engine (might just end up with a Hayabusa soon!)
* Porsche rear transaxle (easy reverse and gear options)

I hope you guys enjoy the build as much as me, and engage in the conversation! Below is the first three video's, in what is likely going to be a very long series.

Build intro....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4jqh2ILs-I

Engine stand....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtjxSxSXY1A

Head removal.... :BH:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zD68XdlR4

Youtube Series

Willy’s Hayabusa Build Log

Post subject: Re: BEC Willy's Build
PostPosted: July 17, 2019, 5:02 pm 

Alright everyone, here is the fab/chassis table I built. I had to do a full table style because I am cutting out the structure of the Willy's to build the frame. It's 5'x10'--Almost exactly what the jeep works out to be when finished.

Chassis Table
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvT4Gaf4WDk

Still debating what to do about the engine.... Could rebuild mine on the cheap through ebay, or I have access to a newer zx10r for $1000. Really wanted a busa though.

Work on the chassis starting now.

Youtube Series

PostPosted: August 6, 2019, 2:12 pm 

Off to a good start, this sounds very near to what's been rolling around in my head for the last little while and I will be watching this with great interest. Good luck and keep posting :cheers:

How will you be transferring the power from the front mounted motor to the rear mounted trans axle.

PostPosted: August 6, 2019, 2:26 pm 

Thanks!
I’ll either be using the torque tube from the original Porsche, or just building a driveshaft. Working on a bunch right now, just have to go back to work so I can edit the videos for everyone.

I ended up building new panels for the side (still more to pieces to make), got a new motor, built main frame rails

Youtube Series

PostPosted: August 7, 2019, 9:01 am 

did you have any photos of the panel build

PostPosted: August 21, 2019, 7:34 pm 

I like your build table. The sandwiched steel stud table looks plenty strong and straight. I think I may use your table top construction method for my next project :cheers:

A coupe suggestions:
  • Your table is 30" high. That's almost at work bench height, so you will probably be need a ladder to comfortably reach the upper part of the body. I find a good height for a chassis build table is just high enough so you can get your knees under the table top lip when sitting (~19"). That allows you to work sitting down, and puts most things within easier reach.
  • Once the car is put together, it will be very heavy, so you need to think about how you will get it off the table. You probably don't want to hear this, but think about cutting off most the legs and then set the table on 6 jack stands. When you are ready to dismount the finished vehicle, 1) Strap the front of the car to the table, 2) Use a floor jack to lift the back of the table and remove 4 of the jack stands, 3) Use a floor jack to lift the front of the table and remove the last 2 jack stands.
  • Draw a grid on the table top. A grid is a very helpful reference when taking vehicle measurements, like the center line, squareness of chassis, etc. I find that a 2" (50mm) grid works well.

PostPosted: August 27, 2019, 12:44 am 

yan6 wrote:
did you have any photos of the panel build

Yes, just been working lots lately and haven’t found another way to upload pics yet. Not paying for photobucket

Youtube Series

PostPosted: August 27, 2019, 12:52 am 

rumbles wrote:
I like your build table. The sandwiched steel stud table looks plenty strong and straight. I think I may use your table top construction method for my next project :cheers:

A coupe suggestions:
  • Your table is 30" high. That's almost at work bench height, so you will probably be need a ladder to comfortably reach the upper part of the body. I find a good height for a chassis build table is just high enough so you can get your knees under the table top lip when sitting (~19"). That allows you to work sitting down, and puts most things within easier reach.
  • Once the car is put together, it will be very heavy, so you need to think about how you will get it off the table. You probably don't want to hear this, but think about cutting off most the legs and then set the table on 6 jack stands. When you are ready to dismount the finished vehicle, 1) Strap the front of the car to the table, 2) Use a floor jack to lift the back of the table and remove 4 of the jack stands, 3) Use a floor jack to lift the front of the table and remove the last 2 jack stands.
  • Draw a grid on the table top. A grid is a very helpful reference when taking vehicle measurements, like the center line, squareness of chassis, etc. I find that a 2" (50mm) grid works well.

Thanks! For this build, the 30” table height seems ok so far, as the body is only 22” tall (24” with frame). Probably be a bit of an issue once it’s at ride height though. I needed the space underneath for all the parts. Haha.

I have an overhead winch in the garage, plus a cherry picker so hopefully the two can get it in the air and then remove the table.

I probably will add some markings once I have the basics done and it’s sitting exactly where I need it for chassis/suspension setup. I’ve got the main frame rails built now, and the 4 side panels.

Youtube Series

PostPosted: September 14, 2019, 11:22 pm 

Finally got around to editing the next video everyone! This one is the fab work to build new rear quarters on the Willy's

New Side Panels
https://youtu.be/rW_8a_XYKvQ

I do have the main frame rails built already, and the panels directly in front of the rear quarters.
Basically only using the top portion above the dash, the rest will be hand made. :BH:
Figured out how to post more pics through google now too so I can start taking more for you guys...

Ohhh! And I also managed to pick up a busa for the build too! No more stressing over the strenth of the zx10r trans!

Here's where i'm at now on the build. Pretty sure I need to adjust the front frame rails already. Not sure my control arms will be long enough with the width of the reails now...

Here's a look at the original vs my design. This helped me lower the Jeep to what I wanted, and gain almost 5" of leg room!

Youtube Series

PostPosted: October 2, 2019, 4:26 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Anneal the aluminum where it is wrinkling. Mark it up with a black marker then use a hand torch and burn off the black marker. You might get away with doing this on the mdf if you angle the torch well and there is a gap to the mdf. As it takes the shape you want, it will "work" harden so you may need to repeat the annealing process a few times.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 2, 2019, 4:29 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Anneal the aluminum where it is wrinkling. Mark it up with a black marker then use a hand torch and burn off the black marker. You might get away with doing this on the mdf if you angle the torch well and there is a gap to the mdf. As it takes the shape you want, it will "work" harden so you may need to repeat the annealing process a few times.

I wish I was able to afford aluminum! :cry:

Just cold formed steel for this build...

Youtube Series

PostPosted: October 6, 2019, 11:08 pm 

Attachment:
2FAB2695-AFC0-4724-973E-E221D165444A.jpeg

Attachment:
422A3E42-302E-49DB-9A9F-F05073FF9CB1.jpeg

Attachment:
D3EAA3E9-5695-4CC2-8668-64127A6E1BCF.jpeg

Attachment:
02D78526-4201-4740-B6F6-B24A2C6BC895.jpeg

Attachment:
660928DC-A573-44FB-A69D-700FAF152148.jpeg

Attachment:
FA643CA9-53E0-40E5-8E94-0091C807AA9D.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Youtube Series

PostPosted: November 18, 2019, 3:49 pm 

Well, sorry most of the pictures were lost in the previous post. I’ll try to get them back in. Here is the latest video of the build, chassis nearly finished now. Still deciding what to get for ball joints, seems I might have to pay a small fortune for those. The bottom one needs to be a pretty long stud and I’m not finding what I want as standard units. Probably going to get QA1 units which would be nice to have, but when you need 8 of them with weld cups that’s $800 in Canada. Not a locost solution for sure.

https://youtu.be/EcvXCM3QKw4

Attachment:
0FB7346C-F582-48DD-9316-92F8EAC86D2D.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Youtube Series

PostPosted: November 19, 2019, 7:27 am 

Nice video and cool project! Thanks for sharing it here. I tend to watch most videos at 1.5x so seeing the panels come together was especially mesmerizing! :D

PostPosted: October 21, 2020, 11:46 am 

Well everyone, it’s been a while since I updated you all on the progress of this build. So much has been done to this point, the best way to keep up is through the build series on YouTube. Here’s the latest episode!

https://youtu.be/kIjFBGLDhLA

[attachment=0]DBA16439-B68B-4837-8FF3-15ED130BE246.jpeg

Youtube Series