LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 30, 2021, 11:25 am 

I have been bad about updating this thread. I keep the GRM thread updated and it's more of the "living build", but I will put stuff up here from time to time and answer any questions for those not there.
This weekend was "Roller day" Still a long way to go but it's a big progress day.

So being on the ground I was able to weigh the car, and I'm pleasantly surprised. These wheels are ~28lbs each. Total weight (Using bathroom scales so figure some innacuracy) was 940lbs for what you see. Major weight adds will be the rest of the bodywork, radiator, brake calipers (Rotors are on), Pedal Cluster, about 30lbs more bracing. So I think it will still wind up in the 1300lb range.

And for a size reference here I am standing behind it, I'm 6' for reference. The car is about 40" to the top of the roll bar at it's current ground clearance.

Also sorry about the Watermark text. I'm not trying to turn youtube or NoconesGarage into a brand or product that I'm selling. I'm just trying to avoid being turned into one of those videos on social media that someone makes to monetize other peoples projects.

Last edited by nocones on June 30, 2021, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 30, 2021, 11:28 am 

And here are a few pictures of it next to the MG because I had it available. They make quite the pair of garage art.

PostPosted: June 30, 2021, 12:40 pm 

Love the progress!! It's looking absolutely ridiculous(ly awesome). All things considered, weight seems to be going rather well too. That's going to make quite the pair. :cheers:

Now you need to get a 'normal' size car in there with them, for a real sense of scale. :shock:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 30, 2021, 1:17 pm 

Funny you should mention that. The 2nd donor was next to it last night. Most of these things wind up with 2 or more donors.. . Right that's normal..

PostPosted: October 31, 2022, 5:28 pm 

I know it's been a really long while on this build. I documented it fully on the GRM message board, but I kinda hadn't documented it well here. For people that had followed along or had followed on my MG midget build and were wondering what I was up to I thought I would pop in with an update.

16 months after the last update the car is "Done". I was building the car for the $2000 challenge, and the event was a few weeks ago. After a big push to get the car "done" I managed to bring home the overall victory.

The final build budget was $1973.64, and the build took 725 hours of Garage time.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9As9AVM__lc[/youtube]

After the challenge I was able to run the car at the FIRM for a trackday, which is the other purpose of this car.
Here is an Incar of a few laps at the FIRM.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/u-iME3Vlyu0[/youtube]

Expect to see it out running Gridlife events Next summer and hopefully participating in the GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge in October of next year.

I can post some more pictures and answer any questions about how I did parts of the car if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: November 1, 2022, 10:35 am 

Congratulations! :cheers: That is damn cool.

PostPosted: November 2, 2022, 12:47 am 

congratulations! Tell us how much the car weighed and all those numbers like height, wheelbase, track, ground clearance etc. Great work!
16 months after the last update the car is "Done". I was building the car for the $2000 challenge, and the event was a few weeks ago. After a big push to get the car "done" I managed to bring home the overall victory.

The final build budget was $1973.64, and the build took 725 hours of Garage time.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9As9AVM__lc[/youtube]

After the challenge I was able to run the car at the FIRM for a trackday, which is the other purpose of this car.
Here is an Incar of a few laps at the FIRM.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/u-iME3Vlyu0[/youtube]

Expect to see it out running Gridlife events Next summer and hopefully participating in the GRM Ultimate Track Car Challenge in October of next year.

I can post some more pictures and answer any questions about how I did parts of the car if anyone is interested.[/quote]

PostPosted: January 12, 2023, 12:54 am 

The boys at Donut gave you a shout-out today.

https://youtu.be/BS-MyxB7_wQ?t=723

PostPosted: January 13, 2023, 12:55 am 

Watching the track vid, it looks pretty fast! Hellofajob!