LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 7:53 am 

It was tight! I was trained by a couple of old time mechanics when I was young. A neighbor down the street from me when I was in high school, was a retired mechanic, first taught me to work on my own 55 Chevy.

Right after high school I worked for a Pontiac dealership as a lot boy/runner. I used to help the mechanic who did the engine rebuilds. He was an old gruff guy the other mechanics avoided. But I marveled at how he could pull those old 455 cu motors out of the cars by himself. I asked him about it and he said "you don't do the work- let the lift do it". He trained me to take my time and look at what you are doing on all sides. And "NEVER" get under the lifted load or crane! I have always pulled and reinstalled my motors by myself. It may take me a little longer, but I never have (yet) dinged a car or hurt myself.

Thom

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 4:17 pm 

Silly question, but can you possibly stuff in motorcycle injectors with rail/port adapters?
They're usually shorter by roughly 1/2"-3/4", and can be had in some pretty big flow rates.

PostPosted: May 1, 2020, 9:16 pm 

Don't know but its assembled now. I started to cut the hood. Had to really force myself to cut into the hood.
Attachment:
IMG_1121 (2).JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1125.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1126.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1127.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1128.JPG

I only need 2 1/2" of height. Will explore options

Thom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 6, 2020, 7:59 am 

I have the motor mostly hooked up at this point. Decided to go back to the hood to complete the scoop design.
Attachment:
IMG_1155.JPG

So I mocked up what will clear the S/C on my car.
Attachment:
IMG_1153.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1152.JPG

spoke to my paint guy. Turns out he is building a Fox Body coupe for himself and had need of some spares I have for his build and took it to him along with a pile of parts for him to pick thru. Should have it back in a week. to test fit again.

Next I am on to the interior and wiring the dash.
Attachment:
photo 4.JPG

And order up some seat rails
Attachment:
photo 3.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 28, 2020, 11:13 pm 

Been a while since I got any serious work done on the car.

The progress on the basement side tracked my energies. Contractors have now said they will come in to work on the basement, one at a time. So we got the spray foam insulation done. They have hung the drywall. They should have the tape & mud done sometime next week. Then paint and flooring.

So I install the Gas cap recess well.
Attachment:
IMG_1251.JPG

Next I decided to take out the carpet and see what I had to work with. The CR kit was complete and "as-new". Would not have been my first choice to have dark blue carpet and tan seats, dash & door cards. But the seats & dash cleaned up well.
Attachment:
IMG_1258.JPG

Since we plan on painting the car Viking Blue ( a light metallic blue) it might look OK. I will leave off the stripes, personal taste.
Attachment:
Cobra in Viking Blue 2.jpg

After talking to the upholsterer, I decided to see if I can live with the combo for awhile with a cost of $2k to redo! A very "90's" color combo.

Next I will make a fiberglass shifter surround to clear the Steeda short throw shifter that sticks up 2" higher.
Attachment:
IMG_1101.JPG

I also replaced the old Stereo/Cassette player with a BT head unit in a single DIN.

Next will be the trying to wire the dash.

Thom

PostPosted: May 28, 2020, 11:38 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
I also replaced the old Stereo/Cassette player with a BT head unit in a single DIN.

Oh come on now Thom, I'm old enough to know what a Stereo/Cassette player is (that was space age stuff in my teenage days). But I am too old to know what the 'ell is a 'BT head unit in a single DIN'? Please translate to 1970's English for me :oops:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 29, 2020, 8:10 am 

horchoha wrote:
BostonWill wrote:

Oh come on now Thom, I'm old enough to know what a Stereo/Cassette player is (that was space age stuff in my teenage days). But I am too old to know what the 'ell is a 'BT head unit in a single DIN'? Please translate to 1970's English for me :oops:

It is a Kenwood KMM-BT325U Digital Media Receiver with Bluetooth.
Attachment:
Kenwood KMM-BT325U.jpg

For those that are not following me :lol: it is a Blue Tooth enabled, android/iPhone enabled, stereo mini head stereo that has no tape, CD internals. It also will accept a Sirius, Pandora play using your phone to connect to the internet. The head is about half as deep as the normal car stereo. It will also allow cell phone calls to play thru the stereo as well. Plus it has a removable faceplate to deter theft, remove the faceplate and stick it in your pocket and the head unit is not of much worth to a thief.

Thom

PostPosted: May 29, 2020, 10:36 am 

Look at how tiny the numbers and letters and buttons are on that thing. Old guys don't like having to look at tiny!! That's the true reason that I've still got an analog AM/FM radio in my truck, I can see it!

PostPosted: May 29, 2020, 12:35 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Look at how tiny the numbers and letters and buttons are on that thing. Old guys don't like having to look at tiny!! That's the true reason that I've still got an analog AM/FM radio in my truck, I can see it!

Mama told you it would make you go blind! 8)

Because the gauges and controls on newer cars, along with NAV systems, are so small- I got "tri-focals" years ago so I can see the dash and the world outside.

Thom

PostPosted: May 30, 2020, 7:34 am 

Wait, wait, wait a minute!!! If you can hear a radio in a Cobra then you need to fit the exhaust system. :lol:
Davew

PostPosted: November 15, 2021, 12:13 am 

Wow this is really something else. This car will be out of control. 2 builds at one time. For some reason I thought the cobra was built already. I’m glad you did the page.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: November 15, 2021, 12:29 pm 

Thanks Steve. I have the two builds do to having a place in Boston and another in Lake Geneva, WI. We spent most of the time during COVID in LG. We have been back in Boston area for about two weeks, due to go back later this week until the 1st of January when my wife has to return to the office. And I needed something at both places to keep me busy. Plus I have been finishing up my Resto rod 67 Mustang in LG.

Attachment:
IMG_2254.jpg

I replaced the 6 cyl with a 87 Mustang 5.0 HO/T5 and power Rack & Pinion steering and 2010 Mustang GT disc brakes on all 4 corners. Has it repainted Ford Candy Apple Red. Originally a Calif car- so no rust! I think its sold, will find out when I get back to LG next week.

PostPosted: December 20, 2021, 11:16 pm 

For some reason my email notifications went again. That’s cool too. I really like the blue you picked for the cobra. Good luck traveling back and forth. Have a Merry Christmas.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: December 26, 2021, 10:45 am 

There's a guy I follow on Instagram building a Cobra. I mean fro scratch scratch, even shaped his on metal body panels with enough quality that he didn't paint it, just polished the steel. Worth checking out

https://instagram.com/themetalshappingg ... =copy_link

PostPosted: April 8, 2022, 4:51 pm 

Didn't know the Classic body was 3" wider and 6" longer. Need to start looking around and seeing if I can find one. Would love to check it out one day. i can ofcourse always drive it for you when you are not in LG, i'm about 45min away. :)