LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 8, 2022, 7:16 pm 

merim123 wrote:
Didn't know the Classic body was 3" wider and 6" longer. Need to start looking around and seeing if I can find one. Would love to check it out one day. i can ofcourse always drive it for you when you are not in LG, i'm about 45min away. :)

Well, that may all change now! My wife will give notice of her retirement Monday. Figure it will put me back in LG mid-summer. Then I will have the Locost & the Cobra to finish! :)

There are quite a few Classic Roasters 427s out there unfinished. During Covid the last two years I saw at least 4 CRs find new owners to be finished. They go for $12k- $25k unfinished, depending on what comes with them and how far they have been completed. I have seen finished cars go for $25k- $40K. The higher price was for a car with a real 427 side oiler! That motor was worth $25k by itself with 2-4bb, medium rise intake, & a top loader!

While here in Mass I recently went up to check out (again) Factory Five Racing's offerings. I was very impressed with the frame and suspension designs. But the body, interior and finish seems so much less quality than the Classic Roadster. The FFR body is a flexible, non-structural, covering over the chassis. As a result, it comes off flimsy. And, yes, the raw aluminum interior panels do have a more correct look like the race versions of the original Cobras. But the panels seem thin and just does not come off well somehow.

The fiberglass on the CR Cobra is pretty thick, so it has some structure to it. And it seems cavernous next to the Locost. The doors actually close with a "click" sound vs the FFR with a rattle. But it is a couple hundred pounds heavier than the FFR. And I am sure the FFR will out handle the CR with the more modern suspension design.

PostPosted: April 9, 2022, 11:27 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
merim123 wrote:
Didn't know the Classic body was 3" wider and 6" longer. Need to start looking around and seeing if I can find one. Would love to check it out one day. i can ofcourse always drive it for you when you are not in LG, i'm about 45min away. :)

Well, that may all change now! My wife will give notice of her retirement Monday. Figure it will put me back in LG mid-summer. Then I will have the Locost & the Cobra to finish! :)

There are quite a few Classic Roasters 427s out there unfinished. During Covid the last two years I saw at least 4 CRs find new owners to be finished. They go for $12k- $25k unfinished, depending on what comes with them and how far they have been completed. I have seen finished cars go for $25k- $40K. The higher price was for a car with a real 427 side oiler! That motor was worth $25k by itself with 2-4bb, medium rise intake, & a top loader!

While here in Mass I recently went up to check out (again) Factory Five Racing's offerings. I was very impressed with the frame and suspension designs. But the body, interior and finish seems so much less quality than the Classic Roadster. The FFR body is a flexible, non-structural, covering over the chassis. As a result, it comes off flimsy. And, yes, the raw aluminum interior panels do have a more correct look like the race versions of the original Cobras. But the panels seem thin and just does not come off well somehow.

The fiberglass on the CR Cobra is pretty thick, so it has some structure to it. And it seems cavernous next to the Locost. The doors actually close with a "click" sound vs the FFR with a rattle. But it is a couple hundred pounds heavier than the FFR. And I am sure the FFR will out handle the CR with the more modern suspension design.

Where are you finding so many. I’m struggling. Maybe a Facebook group I’m missing?

PostPosted: April 10, 2022, 7:23 am 

Merim 123,
I sent you an email.

PostPosted: April 12, 2022, 6:48 am 

terryjr wrote:
There's a guy I follow on Instagram building a Cobra. I mean fro scratch scratch, even shaped his on metal body panels with enough quality that he didn't paint it, just polished the steel. Worth checking out

https://instagram.com/themetalshappingg ... =copy_link

I follow him too. Really pronominal job.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: April 12, 2022, 7:27 am 

I also belong to this site.

http://www.clubcobra.com