LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 7, 2020, 12:28 pm 

It's hard to believe it's been over 10 years since I first drove my car. In that time, I have learned a great deal. Based on those lessons learned, I am starting on a second iteration. This car will carry over the mid-engine powertrain layout, and many of the same physical parts. The remains of the first chassis are going to be repurposed for another mid-engine car for the kids. (I guess I will have to get that build log started as well.) Here are some of the changes coming:

-Mid Valley Engineering transmission will replace the Muncie giving me dog tooth gears and clutchless shifting
-car will start life with a single seat; no passengers
-car will have BMW sourced ABS
-suspension control arms will be fabricated instead of Corvette pieces

What really jump started this new project was the availability of a NASCAR chassis. I have a good college friend working for one of the big teams, and they had a chassis available. After a short trip to North Carolina, I have a starting point. In the pictures below, you can see the chassis the day I picked it up; when I finally got it in the pole barn; and after removing some the rear metal to make room for the powertrain.

More to come.
Ken

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 7, 2020, 7:25 pm 

Excellent base to start from, always found the best way to get something right the first time was to build it at least twice beforehand. Looking forward to your updates.

Have you weighed the bare frame as is?

:cheers:

Marcus