LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: January 21, 2014, 4:27 pm 

Very good to here from you! Like many here I have read your build front to back several times- I
find something new almost every page.
One, most hearty Congratulations to you and Ms. AFF! May your's and little AAF's futures be full
of light!
I have been afraid to "bump" as I didn't want to throw "incompletion" ju-ju your way! I've nearly
cried over some of the "near misses" and catastrophe beset builds, but yours is a jewel-almost a
journal more than just a build diary, and what a journey. Miss AFF doesn't yet know what a great
personal story that awaits her.
:cheers: :lurking: mysmallwheels(AKA Chris)

PostPosted: January 24, 2014, 11:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey AFF!
Beautiful child! If she doesn't have an "Uncle Bubba" I would like to apply for the position. I have experience...

Congratulations! I wish the newest Airframe Fixer (and her folks) all the best.
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 28, 2014, 12:18 am 

She is going to have alot of fun with that Car! :twisted: :wink:
Randy

PostPosted: January 28, 2014, 1:45 am 

I love how the dogs take all the abuse. Ours has learned that the little person will feed her when no one is looking. Usually some good stuff too!

Loving the composite work

PostPosted: March 20, 2014, 9:29 am 

Update!!

First of all, thank you all for the kind words. She looks like dad's, which annoys my wife. Speaking of wifey, that cash cow is back in the money pasture: read went back to work after maternity leave. In order to accommodate our schedules, we have our daughter in daycare, which lends itself to dad getting some time in on the car.

I decided to do more bracing on the mold. Last thing I want to do is correct a bunch of warpage with expensive, and relatively heavy epoxy filler when a few carefully placed pieces of plywood will prevent that.

Last week I collected the fiberglass cloth and some phoshoric and chromic acid from the local fiberglass shop. Turns out no one knows or want to carry metal prep cleaners and treatments, the fiberglass place was able to track some down. Its for the headlight buckets which are for the most part are complete, just need to be trimmed/finished, disassembled, treated and riveted up. I wont be painting them so they'll turn out a light golden color once treated. The body work was designed around the headlights at 56cm to meet BC reg's, hence the lowest profile DOT headlights were used, and necessitating, custom buckets. I was dreading this, for some reason I distinctly recall reading on KB58's mini site, that head light buckets were no fun for him, I guess I put that though through my head prior to starting, and differed it till this point. The only reason I dove into it now, was I didn't need to go out and buy anything. My wife and I need to be discretionary with our spending as day care is expensive. However, Ive been able to fund the recent progress by selling some surplus/duplicate tooling I see no need to keep. A clear thermoformed acrylic lens will cover up the headlights and act as an aero fairing to clean up the air flow. I'm using the front of the fender to act as a dive plane so the lens is beneficial to aid its function.
Attachment:
IMG_00001620.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_00001622.jpg

As for the layup of the upper side pods, its pretty straight forward with only 5 patterns and can be done in one session. Again back to my local supply of materials, I am only able to get plain weave cloths, which is fine for the simple curves in this part, but 2x2 twill weave is preferred for the corners. I used 10oz plain weave which wets out ease, but can barely take a compound curve with out relieving the cloth or having it bunch up, hence the need for 5 patterns.
Attachment:
IMG_00001628.jpg

For cutting out the patterns, I laid out the patterns on some aluminum faced sign board and cut the cloth out using a rotary knife. This keeps the pattern flat and reduces fraying of the ends. the layup it self is a constant controlled juggle of mix 5 ounces of resin, apply to cloth in mold, stipple in with brush, roll it out with de-airing roller, use heat gun to raise viscosity of resin to further wet cloth, roll, let it tack up slightly, apply next plies of cloth and press into wet resin infused cloth, stipple with heat gun, roll in..... and repeat, the whole show was about 2.5 hours. After the last layer of cloth is in, the entire lay up is rolled with a 5 inch foam roller for urethane paints. All this does is remove excess resin keeps the cloth to resin content high. All said and done the part weighs 2.9 lbs and has a uniform thickness of about .050 and hopefully stiff enough to not require additional plies or core material. It's too early to tell now as the resin really takes over a week to reach a full cure.
Attachment:
IMG_00001636.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_00001640.jpg

Not sure if you can see it here,but the roller is smoking. It absorbs excess resin to the point the thing is saturated and releases heat as it cure, expediting the curing and releasing more heat, sort of thermal runaway, just dont throw it it the garbage after your done.
Attachment:
IMG_00001634.jpg

Looks like I have another few days off in a row to get the other side laid up. Till then.

Andrew

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 20, 2014, 1:16 pm 

Looks like the Part was cured enough to trim the flash and do a quick fit up!

While Im set up to do composite stuff, Ill plan to get the other side done next week. The upper side pods will fasten to the top rail of the lower sidepod via machine srews. The upper portion will affix to an aluminum angle fastened to the top of the "tub".

Andrew

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 20, 2014, 11:06 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, "Frame"-
You don't mind bein' called by your middle name, do you? :mrgreen:

The car is looking really good, Bro. Lookin' close to being finished! What's the plan when you get that other side pod part done? Inquiring minds...

Good hearing from you!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 10:04 am 

Update with some poor quality pics from my phone.

I did the other upper side pod yesterday and kept the shop at a higher temp than last time to assist curing. Got the flash trimmed this morning and did a quick fit up, my shop desperately needed cleaning necessitating pushing everything with wheels/tracks/rollers outside. I'd like to say my composite body building for this project is complete, but not finished, there's still tons of fit up, mounting and finishing to do, but everything is there. I got a big boost from this, now its a thousand small jobs to finish it

As for the next steps JDK, getting upper side pods mounts fitted up. They will be made of aluminum, so easy enough, I just need to get the angle stock. After that, It will be headlight lenses.

Andrew

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 10:33 am 

Looks GREAT! You are getting closer ! :cheers:

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 11:21 am 

Pretty sweet, dude!

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 11:23 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

airframefixer wrote:
... The body work was designed around the headlights at 56cm to meet BC reg's, hence the lowest profile DOT headlights were used, and necessitating, custom buckets. I was dreading this, for some reason I distinctly recall reading on KB58's mini site, that head light buckets were no fun for him...

No, that wasn't me; I used plastic headlight buckets that were a slamdunk solution. Now, if you're talking about doors... yes, that would definitely be me, no fun at all due to the multi-level flanges... ugh, don't miss that part of it at all.

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 12:04 pm 

Looking great. For me, that 2nd photo (3/4 rear view) is simply the best angle to show off the fine lines you have created. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 25, 2014, 11:16 pm 

that vertical face above the splitter is begging for some brake ducts.

most excelent work, what more can i say!!!!!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: March 29, 2014, 4:19 pm 

Thanks everyone,

John, I agree, along with louvered upper fenders.

RX7, I'm hoping a well thought out paint scheme will bring out the lines as well, green primer doesn't help.

KB58, my mistake, doors, that would be it.

Some progress to report. Long post here, this is how I burned time at work on Friday:

Spent Thursday making brackets to support the fiberglass sidepods. Originally the plan was to buy some large. 125 wall angle stock or tube and cut out the pieces I needed for the supports. After thinking it over for a few days, too many downsides including weight, cost, and unnecessary bulk added to the chassis to support a very light part that only bears a very light aero load. So scratch that idea. The fact my bending brake is only 24" long and I needed a total length of 33" is the only reason to make it from square tube stock.

I decided to give a go from .040 2024-T3, which I still have lots of. My concern doing it this was my bending brakes capacity. It is an offshore model with limited adjustment. The clamp portion is positioned on eccentric adjusters that move the clamp for and aft. This is essential to maintain a constant angle throughout the length of the bend. I've never bent angle longer than a few inches for small brackets so never moved the eccentrics. I ended up getting it dialed in well enough to make an accurate full length bend in a 24" piece. I wouldn't go further than .040 thickness with this brake.

Next comes rigging up the pieces, which is the most time consuming. I originally observed were the existing bodywork was sitting and fitted up the sidepods flush and marked it out, and then noting how uneven the brackets looked and pre-loaded the part was. Not good. The way I see it, is I've spent countless hours making forms and molds, and making them straight and true, and to find this is not adding up. No problem though, back to my computer and CAD files that I have not referenced for years. The body work was originally planed to be at 3.5 inches off the upper chassis tube, yet my fit up was showing 3.2, due to the weight of the front and rear body sections sagging in the middle under their own weight. I know its only .3 inches, over the course of the width of the chassis, that adds up and I'd rather not have .3 inches of filler when I don't have to. Note the pics were taken, with the rear bodywork "sagging slightly" in the middle. With it propped up everything sits flush.

Anyways.. back to the car, re fit up the brackets to sit 3.4 inches( from the inside) add the. 040 for the bracket thickness and .060 for the fiberglass part and your at 3.5 inches. Sounds picky, but I should be after all that mold making work. Filler and shims will be necessary in some spots, I accept that, and this is what you get when you make a universal L/H and R/H part.

To get the rigidity out of the thin bracket, it requires bracing as its too thin to be self stiffening. Had it been made from, say .0625, less would be required. The rear ties into the stainless steel bracket that ties into the firewall. Hindsight is 20/20 and this could have been done better. I had to remove a dozen blind rivets from the chassis to fit up the tie strip. I used a hole finder to locate the holes for the piece and then trimmed it up to get the appropriate edge distant. I use generally .5 inches for ED for all my rivet layout and it works well. Depending on what you read, ED is usually between 2x and 3x the diameter of the rivet, so .5 inches will usually always work.

Due to the fit up discrepancy, excess fiberglass was trimmed off the parts, I plan on adding aluminum fillers on the chassis to take up the gap.

Between these parts and the headlight brackets, I plan on doing one large batch of alodine treatment and priming the sidepod pieces. Then it's headlight lenses next. I have say though, it was nice to do some sheet metal after years of composite work.

Andrew

PostPosted: March 29, 2014, 6:19 pm 

Very fine fabrication. The 58cm is an international standard and a real PITA. I am thinking of 2" spots at the top of a 7" bucket and cranking the shocks all the way up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 57  Next