LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently January 22, 2021, 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24, 2007, 12:38 pm 

I was an A&P with one of the three big 121 operators down here for 20 years and then got downsized. I've moved into a different sector of aviation as well and am glad that I did. Airline maintenance isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24, 2007, 5:53 pm 
Hi Andrew,
I have enjoyed the visit of your excellent log and I am green with envy at the quality, the cleaness and the creativity of your work. The mid engine configuration attracted me when I started in this hobby but I went the conventional lotus seven way because of my lack of engineering knowledge and the fear that the Ontario MTO inspector may not like my work at the end of the long process. I thank you for sharing your pictures with us ;your log is an inspiration and I hope that you will keep it up in the new year.
Take care.
Philippe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27, 2007, 11:32 pm 

Thanks Philippe.

Well My week off has turned into a 10 day vacation and then extended to two weeks so I have a whole bunch more time on the project than I anticipated. It turns out that I will build the chassis at (parents)home as the shop I have arranged has to many restrictions on when I can cut, weld, grind etc. I will still move the project there once abll the steel work is done.

Christmas was great with the parents and the Girlfriend, Im quite alright that I didnt really do anything with the project, As family is more important. But having a few extra days after the holiday is awesome. My girlfriend gave me a copy of Prepare to Win (Smith). Which is turning out to be a good read. Lots of good info there. I also picked up my brake parts and roll hoop from Specialty Engineering. Great friendly service. I highly recommended them for locosters in the Vancouver area. Santa also brought me an OMP Kubic steering wheel.

So I spent the day laying out the build table and rigging up the subframes. I didnt think I would be able to fit the wheels on, but gave it a try and was rewarded with one of the biggest surprises of the project. The wheels sandwhich the build table with about 1/16 to spare. So I was able to get really accurate locating and bolting the subframe and getting the the wheels all pointed in the same direction. I was going to make a really big alignment jig to make sure things were correct, but I lucked out and this was not necessary.

Also secured angle stock to the table to clamp the chassis tubes to. I used the roll hoop as a guide. It turns out that the hoop is 42.5 at its widest, and 42.25 at the bottom. But it can be preloaded to its desired shape with ease. Tomorrow Ill start start fab work on the chassis.

Andrew

Attachments:
table.JPG
table.JPG [ 59.24 KiB | Viewed 11655 times ]
chassis.JPG
chassis.JPG [ 82.92 KiB | Viewed 11659 times ]
table2.JPG
table2.JPG [ 76.49 KiB | Viewed 11653 times ]
tub jig.JPG
tub jig.JPG [ 72.19 KiB | Viewed 11652 times ]

Last edited by airframefixer on January 2, 2008, 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2008, 11:34 pm 

Latest progress.

Moved the table and set up shop on the other side of the garage. Started fabricating and tacking in tubes. Still have not secured the rear end to the table yet. For the first time to date, Im not feeling like I am waiting for parts or dimensions of parts. It also feels good that the hardest most critical part is out of the way(i.e. suspension). Simply cut and fit type work. Next time home I hope to finish the fab work on the chassis, and begin welding it up. Lots of diagonals to be added still. Suspension is at full ext btw. Till next time heres some pics.

Andrew

Attachments:
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 83.55 KiB | Viewed 11511 times ]
2.JPG
2.JPG [ 110.14 KiB | Viewed 11502 times ]
3.JPG
3.JPG [ 77.31 KiB | Viewed 11491 times ]

Last edited by airframefixer on January 2, 2008, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1, 2008, 11:57 pm 

Awesome Andrew. I feel like I'm watching a Daytona prototype being built.

I hope someday to do some lapping with it in my own hideous creation. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17, 2008, 9:32 pm 

Hello.
I am new here and was looking at your rear upright.
What car is it from?
Thanks,Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17, 2008, 11:12 pm 

B85 wrote:
Hello.
I am new here and was looking at your rear upright.
What car is it from?
Thanks,Randy

I can partially answer that, it's a Miata piece, I don't know the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18, 2008, 1:50 am 

Welcome to the forum Randy

There both from 90-93. One of them has a mount for something, maybe a ABS sensor.

Chet, thanks for the comments.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 1:24 am 

Well, since my last visit home, I have not done any physical work on the project but I have managed to get lots of "homework" done due to the weather in the north. Temps have been hovering around -35C, but it cools off at night, and this time of year most of the day IS night, and it does not help when our "cutoff" is -35c.

So needless to say Ive had lots of time to surf the net.

Learned lots about Toyota Differentials. About this time last year, I purchased an 84 Cressida diff. The ratios are 4.1:1 and the unit itself is a clutch type limited slip. Basing my purchase solely on the fact that it was a LSD unit and I could make it work with my existing (94)Miata drive axles without major mods, I had no idea what ratios were available to switch out with. The Cressida/Corolla GTS/ Supra diffs were similar from the years from 82-85, as in they were F code diffs meaning that they had a 7.5 inch crownwheel(ring) gear. From 82-85 Ratios included 3.73, 3.91, 4.1 and 4.3:1. At the time I believed that the lowest I could go was 3.73. So I elected to buy the 84 Cressida unit thinking that I would just find a Diff with 3.73 gears and a 02-03 R1 unit. With the 4.1 gears, an R1 driving 22.7 tires would achieve a speed of about 107 MPH. Knowing that I would eventually Go with 225/50-15 tires and look for a 3.73 R&P set, 125 MPH would be attainable.

With a bit of (google)research, it appears that 3.42 and 3.58 gears were used in F series diffs from mid eighties to nineties in 2wd 4cyl pickups, but were not available with LSD's. So basically one could swap a ring and pinion set from a pick up to a Cressida/Corolla GTS/ Supra LSD diff and carrier and have their selves a low ratio IRS LSD Carrier compatible with Miata axles(minor machining req) for a BEC. All this for a lot less than a Miata LSD and carrier, at least around my neighborhood. Top Speeds would be about 136 MPH for a 95 FZR1000(5 spd) and a 02-03 R1(6 spd) with 225/50-15 tires. I dont know about you guys, Im not sure I would want to get past 130 mph in a "bare bones" club racer.

In addition the FZR/1000 looks like its going to be the winner unless I can locate an R1 or an FZ1 for a steal. The 02-03 R1 would be Ideal, but the FZR is that much simpler and inexpensive for a 5HP penalty, Which can easily be clawed back with a proper header, intake and a re-jet. The FZR unit has a lower output sprocket height , meaning that the sump may not need to be hung below the chassis. Im also realizing that buying the baddest engine I can afford isnt the biggest priority now. Having the latest R1, GSX, or ZX is not going to afford me a house or put food on the table. Who am I kidding, Im not trying to win a championship, or win a constructors title, just trying to have some fun and kill some time with out breaking the bank.

Parts necessary for the FZR are the Hawk Machine clutch slave adapter needed to clear the drive shaft and the drive adapter. In addition The YZF750 6 spd box can apparently drop into a FZR1000 case. Thanks to the builders in the UK for the info. Hopefully sometime in the next two weeks I will make my way out to the "recyclers" in the mianland to find me an FZR1000 unit. Right now that engine seems to be the best compromise. Physical work will commence next monday.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 4, 2008, 1:37 pm 

Those are the exact same ratios that are available for the G series (8") diffs, you sure you have the right ones? Also are you sure a pickup pinion will fit the cressida carrier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 5, 2008, 2:35 am 

Glen

G codes diffs were used in the rear of 4x4, with F code diffs up front, probably why they have the same ratios. Im not 100% sure myself, but lots of other toyota people seem to be. Ill try and track one down next week some time and confirm this.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7, 2008, 1:19 am 

Hey love the build looks great. If you havent found this yet good info. http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html and http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... ear+ratios Anyway keep it up and keep us posted.

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13, 2008, 10:25 pm 

Update

Arrived back home on Sunday night. Spent Monday cleaning up the garage and rigging up the rear subframe. Also picked up some round tubing and hardware. Tuesday I put in about 8 Hrs fabbing up the engine bay tube clusters, and triangulation at the front end. I have a few items left to fab up before I start final welding, mainly around the seats and the fire wall. Once I acquire and engine, I will make a bolt in brace to stiffen up the rear end.

Today, my girlfriend had the day off, so I spent the day with her. On the way home I stopped by a used tire store and picked 2 195's and 205's for mock up purposes. 2 are well below there limits, but ill need something to roll it around on. Ill buy good tires when its road legal. No use spending money on that now. Ill work steady on the car next Tues through Friday, I believe I will have final welding complete and I will be able to set it on its "feet". Also found a source for 2024-t3 alum for a good price here in the mainland, Ill pay those guys a visit next week sometime. Anyways Ill be heading to Florida Tomorrow and ill be back Monday night to resume progress.

Andrew

Attachments:
tires.JPG
tires.JPG [ 65.96 KiB | Viewed 10343 times ]
pedals.JPG
pedals.JPG [ 71.07 KiB | Viewed 10357 times ]
master cylinders.JPG
master cylinders.JPG [ 82.33 KiB | Viewed 10347 times ]
IMG_3101.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG [ 79.18 KiB | Viewed 10333 times ]
engine bay.JPG
engine bay.JPG [ 67.54 KiB | Viewed 10341 times ]
chassis.JPG
chassis.JPG [ 85.85 KiB | Viewed 10354 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 14, 2008, 1:10 pm 

:drool: :headbang: :hail: i love seeing your progress. where in florida if i might ask? anywhere near fort myers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15, 2008, 9:34 am 

bluej wrote:
:drool: :headbang: :hail: i love seeing your progress. where in florida if i might ask? anywhere near fort myers?

Thanks for the comments bluej. Staying just outside of Orlando. Here for the race on sunday.

Andrew

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next