LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Manta Mirage build
PostPosted: December 14, 2020, 11:44 pm 

In 1967 my family moved from Woodstock, NY to Orange, CA. I was going into 5th grade. My Dad took me to a Can Am race at Riverside Raceway. If I remember correctly, the Can Am series was an all out, no rules, run what you brung series. As I watched those cars I fell in love. That race started my passion for unique cars. Then in the early 70's I saw a movie called "Gone in 60 seconds". In the movie was a car that looked like a Can Am car. I found out that it was a kit car. It was the Manta Mirage. It used a SBC mid mounted, hooked up to an inverted Corvair trans axle and used VW bug front suspension.

Over the years I've built a car from a kit and I've built a few from scratch. My latest build was my Cheetah inspired build. I detailed that build here. I've always wanted to get a Manta Mirage body and build it with good suspension. Last week I came across an unfinished kit for the Manta. The project was for sale. What was cool to me is that the builder had installed C5 Corvette rear suspension. He also had installed a tubular, Mustang based front suspension. The kit had the rare DOT legal windshield, wheels with new tires, fuel tanks, the original snap in interior, a frame and all of the body parts. I made a phone call and purchased it on the spot. I'm picking it up in a couple of weeks. I feel lucky to find this!

I seem to always need a project. I think that I'll pull the front suspension off and replace it with C4 parts. I have a couple of those in my shop. About 15 years ago I purchased an LS1 out of a wrecked Camaro. This summer I had the engine gone through by an engine building company. It's all refreshed and ready to go. I'll install it and probably use a Boxter S 6 speed trans axle. Once I get the frame I'll decide if I can use it, if it needs modifying or if I need to build a new frame. I have some ideas on how I might modify the car as well.

Here are some pictures of a couple of Mantas and of the parts that I've purchased. Having fun

Post subject: Re: Manta Mirage build
PostPosted: December 15, 2020, 12:21 am 

Cool! I respect how you decide on projects and see them through. I'm sure this will turn out great, like your other builds.

PostPosted: December 30, 2020, 9:34 am 

kreb wrote:
Cool! I respect how you decide on projects and see them through. I'm sure this will turn out great, like your other builds.

Thank you for your kind words.

My son and I picked up the Manta yesterday. I was like a 4 year old on Christmas morning! This is an original kit that was never built. Everything looked great. I was pleasantly surprised that my son and I can fit comfortably in it. We had good leg room. We are both 6'2".
Having fun!

PostPosted: December 30, 2020, 11:55 am 

It looks like a great project :cheers:

My first thought is, even when fully welded, The UCA chassis mount looks like it needs some more design work.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 30, 2020, 12:22 pm 

Looks like you found yourself a diamond! What part of the world is that? Looks COLD!!! Even without the "white Stuff"! :cheers:

PostPosted: December 30, 2020, 3:17 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
It looks like a great project :cheers:

My first thought is, even when fully welded, The UCA chassis mount looks like it needs some more design work.

I agree. When I pull the body I'll have a better idea of what needs to be done. I may even build a new frame from scratch. I have built a couple of cars using C5 suspension. I used the cradles in those builds. I do have jigs for using them.

I off loaded the car into my garage today.

PostPosted: December 30, 2020, 3:20 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
Looks like you found yourself a diamond! What part of the world is that? Looks COLD!!! Even without the "white Stuff"! :cheers:

It is cold! I live near the Olympic Village of Lake Placid, NY. The seller met me in Harriman, NY which is about 50 miles north of New York City.

PostPosted: December 30, 2020, 3:22 pm 

With LS power and Vette suspension this will be my Mid Engine Corvette. Hoping for 1900lbs.

PostPosted: December 30, 2020, 3:53 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Ditto on that upper control arm chassis mount... just, wow.

Regarding the windshield, since they're a consumable item, what's the plan for having a spare? Not being able to find one can make an otherwise fun project a real PITA. I'd expect that it's probably a rear window off some sedan available back when it was designed. Hard to believe that it would be full custom.

Oh, and apparently you must wear either a sport coat or tank top when you drive one, so stock up. Sideburns are also highly recommended for the best look!

PostPosted: December 30, 2020, 4:33 pm 

The guy building the car was test fitting the front suspension. It's just tacked in. I know that he hadn't completed it. His wife had a major medical issue and he hasn't been able to finish the car.

I'm going to be replacing the front suspension with C4 Corvette.

PostPosted: January 12, 2021, 12:05 am 

I've put the car in the shop and am deciding how I'm going to tackle this build.

Concerning the windshield: From what I can find the windshield was made specifically for this car by a company in CA. I couldn't find that they were still available. I think that I'll pull a mold from the one that I have so that I can duplicate in Poly carbonate if need. It would be possible to have it recreated in laminate glass. That would be pretty costly I think. Hopefully I won't need one. :)

I have a 34 inch inseam. The car, as set up, has a 94 inch wheelbase. I would fit much more comfortable if I lengthen the wheel base. I test moved the front suspension forward by 5 inches and cut off the front of the tub/seats. With the extra 5 inches I fit very comfortable. I then mocked up the body with the added length. I used duct tape to fill in the empty space between the doors and the rear body work.

The rear suspension cradle can also be moved rearward by an inch. This would put the rear tire more centered in the opening and add a little clearance between the front of the engine and cockpit bulkhead. With these changes the wheelbase would be 100 inches. I like the look of the car with the added length. I'll probably make the change. I will have to cut the dash out and move it back by 5 inches. And, cut the side pods and lengthen them by 5 inches.

I bought the parts because I love the looks of the car. The fact is the Manta wasn't a high performance kit. The Corvair rear suspension and VW bug front doesn't offer good handling. In addition the frame offers little in torsional stiffness. The car came with C5 Corvette rear suspension and Mustang style front suspension. I think that I'm going to build a completely new frame. I'll keep the C5 Rear and probably install C4 Corvette front suspension. (I have a couple of sets in my shop) With a new lighter, but stiffer frame and an LS engine I'm hoping to get weight into the 1800 lb range.

PostPosted: January 12, 2021, 9:36 am 

The Mirage was one of the kits my brother and I drooled over as kids.
I like the look with the stretched wheelbase.
Will be following this build for sure! (Also love your take on the Cheetah, if I had time and $ I'd be all over that!)

PostPosted: March 15, 2021, 4:15 pm 

Hello Everyone, It's been a tough winter. Shortly after getting the Manta home I broke a bone in my left foot. That laid me up for awhile. Then I had to have surgery a few weeks ago. (not for my foot). I'm just now to the point that I'm thinking of getting back into the shop.

I started planning the Manta build. I found that for a transaxle that would meet the gear ratios I wanted for the LS engine, have limited slip, and was strong it was going to cost 12K or more. I also realized that I was going to have to build a new frame. Given my health issues I decided that I'm not going to take on the Manta build. I had several people ask me about buying it. I sold it last week. I've decided to work on my Cheetah inspired roadster. I love the car. I'm going to upgrade the drivetrain, work on the interior, and work on a top for it. Time to focus on one thing.

PostPosted: March 15, 2021, 4:55 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

I fell in love with late-1960s and 70s IMSA type cars due to their shape. Once I got old enough to do something about it, a few things stopped me, over and over:
1. The windshield. It can and will get damaged - where does the spare come from
2. A "real" transaxle, one that you never have to worry about breaking it, is $5K for an old Porsche unit likely in need of a rebuild, and $15K+ for a serious aftermarket unit.
3. Final cost, no matter how it's built, will be $60K+, and I just don't want to go there.

Related to #3, I've learned that, for me at least, building cars that end up on-track results in an ironic situation. That is, it takes XXXX hours and $$$$$, and once I get it out on-track, I'm afraid that I'll break it, so end up going slow. Building something like the above, what with a full fiberglass body, I'd be scared to death of heavily damaging the composite. There are no spares, so either it's tons of time to fix it, or time to start looking for another one. Have you guys ever worked with fiberglass in an attached garage??? Anyway, getting off topic, but yeah, I don't see me going this way. To the OP, don't look at this as a failure, but rather as possibly avoiding a lot of trouble! Also, you can always keep your eyes open for one that's finished and driveable.

PostPosted: March 15, 2021, 7:24 pm 

KB58 wrote:

Have you guys ever worked with fiberglass in an attached garage???

Yes. I Love the smell. I once even toyed with the idea of quitting my job to work in a boat building factory. I know some don't care for it. I find it a very sweet smell.

Stinger, it takes a lot of courage to admit that some paths are best not taken. Congratulations on making the decision that helps you focus. I hope you get back to the garage soon. I am starting to get back to working on my project after 5 months of medical issues myself. Take it slowly. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766