LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 29, 2024, 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My build
PostPosted: April 25, 2023, 9:38 pm 

A little bit of progress on my model. Some of the next parts I want to get is the steering rack... one from a utv https://www.roughcountry.com/polaris-ra ... 93115.html

After I get the front end and the rest of the cockpit area of my model put together I'm going to look at the pedal box, steering shaft and column

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 27, 2023, 9:01 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Why not use what you have? A narrow rack can have very short travel and require shorter toe control arms on the spindles.

Since the scion track width makes sense to carry over to the rear, and the front track can be the same with the same scion lcas and custom ucas, I wonder why you are not just using the rack from the donor and buying another scion ifs for the middy ifs. It should be close enough to the correct width depending on how much you change with the uca conversion geometry, adjusting the rack height as needed to minimize bumpsteer near ride height. I expect the rack is high mount rear steer which should work well with a middy. If it is a hydraulic power steering rack, depower can be as simple as draining the fluid and looping the line. You can always go back later and tear it down for internal mods with no loop or swap to something else if the tiny amount of give from the torsion switch in the pinion is a primary concern after addressing any inevitable tweaks/issues found once it is on the road.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 28, 2023, 7:43 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Why not use what you have? A narrow rack can have very short travel and require shorter toe control arms on the spindles.

Since the scion track width makes sense to carry over to the rear, and the front track can be the same with the same scion lcas and custom ucas, I wonder why you are not just using the rack from the donor and buying another scion ifs for the middy ifs. It should be close enough to the correct width depending on how much you change with the uca conversion geometry, adjusting the rack height as needed to minimize bumpsteer near ride height. I expect the rack is high mount rear steer which should work well with a middy. If it is a hydraulic power steering rack, depower can be as simple as draining the fluid and looping the line. You can always go back later and tear it down for internal mods with no loop or swap to something else if the tiny amount of give from the torsion switch in the pinion is a primary concern after addressing any inevitable tweaks/issues found once it is on the road.

I was thinking, up till now, that I would use an atv rack because of the width of my frame. Looks being a big factor. Like I didn't want the rack ends sticking out super far and i didn't want to monkey around with shortening the rack.

I finally got the lower ball joints and kind of finalized where my control arm mounting points would be and I am now thinking I could use the scion rack, like it could be wide enough. I'll have to get under my car and get a better dimension of the scion rack before I order the utv one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 30, 2023, 6:05 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

If you want to build a long LCA IFS and oem uprights/spindle toe arms, then it will require either a narrow rack or center tapped rack where a plate bolts to the rack that allows one rack to work with any width requirement.

The easy thing to do is use the scion LCA dims for your own design and bush LCA and scion track width. Use the UCA design to generate the desired attributes. No need to change everything.

The cv cup can be ground away or just taken apart from the axle (no machining), leaving a stub axle to hold the hub and bearings together for the IFS.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 21, 2024, 9:24 pm 

I have a small update to my thread. Since my last posting I've been able to cut up and scrap the donor car, I still have the title. I made a brake and clutch pedal assembly and got some steering gear. I was thinking the gas pedal would also be hanging with the other 2 but I'm going to have the gas pedal on the floor. I was thinking about incorporating round tube into my frame around the suspension points and tunnel. Im going to call around and see if a shop can just bend tube I bring in. I found out about the speeduino ecu, I'm going to use that. I half made a gas tank out of foam board, the tank will be half in the tunnel and the pump basket and level sender will be in front of it I think it will hold around 9 gallons with room for air, better have at least 7 useable