LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 28, 2024, 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 12:20 am 

Wow, thanks for the engine pics. That thing looks pristine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 10:37 am 

Wow Rod,

That engine sure does look in good condition from your pics. Keep trhem comming :D

Are you going to paint the aluminium center section ?

Question about the Se7en... Anything special on the 4AGE-T50 combo in the Lotus frame to whatch out for ? Are using a Regular Lotus nose cone or a modified one ?

Thanks

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 12:17 pm 

Fred,

I'm going to leave the sills on the Eleven in natural aluminium, but paint the doors and scuttle.

On to the 4AG/T50 questions, i'm using a Lotus nose cone, which is slightly lower than a Caterham one. I wish i had a Cat one when building the car, that way the oil pan wouldnt hang so low. The T50 is shorter than the ford gearbox in respect to the shifter position. If you want the shifter in about the right spot, you have to push the gearbox as far back as you can in the frame. The farther back you go the smaller the pedal box gets. My pedal box just accomidates size 10 shoes.

Cheers,
Rod

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3, 2008, 12:32 pm 

That will definetlly look good...

Hmmm size 10 shoes... not good, I`m 10.5 but wide... will have to fugure something... Then again I had the same issue in the Locost.

Thanks Rod.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11, 2008, 10:49 pm 

Spent today playing around with the cylinder head. Opened up the exhaust ports .075" and polished both the intake and exhaust ports.

Then made up the generator mount. Going to take it to work tomorrow and have it welded on, then the head is off to the machine shop to get a valve grind.

Also, last Thursday and this past weekend i rebuilt the gearbox, cut a notch for the starter bendix and made up the wiring loom for the car. Got the loom all taped up and relized that i didnt include a horn circuit. So, i'll make up a sub harness for the horn, now i just have to figure out where to put it.

I wish i had a photo of the 'box in bits, but i was way to frustrated to be using a camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23, 2008, 11:48 pm 

Spent the last couple days having/making up the fittings that pass through the block to allow an oil filter. So today, i drilled through the block to fit them, then cleaned the block to start on rebuilding the motor. I got the crank back in, and installed the jackshaft and timing gears.

This week i'm hoping to get the cylinder head off to the machine shop to fit larger exhaust valves along with planing the head .040" and doing a valve grind. Plus, get the rods crack tested then balance the rods and pistons. Its now looking like i will be able to have the motor done by the middle of December, and maybe running by New Years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 5:12 am 

Man, I LOVE exposed clean bits of machinery. Its like looking into the case of a fine swiss watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 9:42 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The glypt on the inside is a great idea. I haven't seen that in years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24, 2008, 1:26 pm 

Keep the updates coming, they're great. You do awsome work.

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 5:00 pm 

Wow, I just love the engine old engines :D

Keep the pics comming, I can't get enough

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 25, 2008, 5:54 pm 

Impressive stuff. I love that engine - great classic look. All your projects are extremely impressive - thanks for the updates. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 12:47 am 

Just noticed that its been over 2 months since i lasted posted an up date. So, here it goes....

Spent the last month and a bit trying to get the motor done, but kept running into set backs. First, i sent my cylinder head out for machining and 3 weeks later i got it back(should have been back within 1 week in my mind), so that delayed things. Then installed the head and check the valve clearances. Obviously had to order up a complete set, that took only a week (pretty quick i thought). But, i miss measured, one shim was out by .040", so i ordered another bunch (only needed one, but having a selection never hurts). The second batch took 3 weeks (damn postal service). During the delay with the shims, i started to get the rest of the motor ready, i bolted up the fly wheel, tried the transmission on the motor with everything installed, had to relieve part of the bellhousing to clear a bolt, and finally fitted up the oil feed line for the cam and attepted to fit the oil drain back from the head to the block. And thats where the next problem occurred. The starter wont clear the oil line fittings. So, now i'm waiting for a gear reduction starter which is supposed to fit, fingers crossed. Anyways here are some pics, i know the garage looks a mess.

In the last pic you can see the boss for the oil line and the gap between it and the standard Lucas starter.

Post subject: CS#'s projects
PostPosted: February 2, 2009, 1:54 am 

Hi Rod,
Despite your setbacks this project has really moved along. It doesn't seem all that long ago that you were just getting going on it.
What army was still using units with 55 year old engines in them and how did you find it?

Ron

Post subject: Re: CS3's projects
PostPosted: March 11, 2009, 10:21 pm 

After two days of struggle, this has finally happened:

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc171/HockeyRoddy/?action=view&current=MVI_0954.flv

Turns out that $0.60 of o-rings can make a motor not run. And yes i should have bolted it into the cradle, lol.

Post subject: Re: CS3's projects
PostPosted: March 14, 2009, 3:43 pm 
Always Moore!

Happens to the best of us. Props on getting it running.

How much is left until you'll be driving?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next