LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: CS3's projects
PostPosted: March 11, 2012, 6:15 pm 

My plan (what ever that means) is to do a Porsche 550 in alloy after I finish my warm up Sprite into Locost project. This may prove over eager, but I took a fabricating course with Ron Fournier and it is amazing what results can be had with primitive tools. Watch lots of youtube videos or buy some of Ron's, get a gas welding set-up, some mallets, a stump and a lot of 3003-H32 aluminum and have at it. Just be patient. The scrap is recyclable.

PostPosted: March 15, 2012, 4:14 am 

While I don't exactly love forming metal, I do agree with you. I've shaped enough steel to really appreciate the kind of artistry that can be brought into real metal work.

In a former life my primary hobby was making accurate, hand formed medieval plate armor from sheet steel and then wearing it while attempting to provide a healthy beat-down on other like minded souls. As a way to learn metal forming and purge adrenaline it was a great hobby. However after breaking my right thumb for the third time in combat I decided it was time for a new hobby; one that posed less risk to my general well being. I'm not sure that racing is any safer, lol.

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 4:30 pm 

Its been a while since i posted anything, so here's what i've been up to. I picked this little beauty up a few weeks back and have spent the last couple taking it apart and turning it into an automotive engine. Its kinda cool to be able to pick up the motor and place it on the work bench with out any help (it weighs in around 70 lbs without the dynamo and starter)

I cut up a 1/4" plate of aluminum over the weekend for the engine to gearbox plate, next up is trying to figure out a flywheel. Does anyone have an experience with Emachineshop or any other online CNC companies?

As for what the motor is going into, i havent a clue yet. I've been toying with the idea of building a Seven S1.

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 5:08 pm 

Race Elkhart Lake? You must have a history.
Sorry no advice on eCNC although a good concept. Being from the rust belt has its advantages. Lots of shops.

PostPosted: April 23, 2012, 5:17 pm 

Took me a while to figure out the Elkhart Lake thing, the first two pics are from my friends shop. He vintage races an MGA Twin Cam, and has two Sebring MGB GT's, one a factory car the other a US BMC team car. Plus a whole slew of interesting race cars (Huffaker F Jr, MG TD, Sprint car, etc).

PostPosted: May 22, 2012, 1:26 pm 

Been a while, so here's some pics from yesterday. I've decided to use the 750 Climax in my "Ginetta" styled car. Had some issues with sorting the engine mount, but it appears it will fit.

PostPosted: May 22, 2012, 6:22 pm 

Interesting bit of tubulating. How many joints in that steering shaft?

PostPosted: May 22, 2012, 11:06 pm 

Quote:
How many joints in that steering shaft?

Just two, one at the rack and one half way up the steering column. I probably could get away with just one at the rack, but then the steering wheel would be at an angle to the dash. The column on this thing is more conventional than the one on the Eleven. It passes down through your feet, along the floor pan and back up at the rack. Same number of u-joints, just an odd arrangment.

PostPosted: May 23, 2012, 12:51 pm 

Always always a challenge in front engined cars.

PostPosted: August 31, 2012, 5:23 am 

You have a car on the table on page 6 of your log, what car is it, it's been bugging me :BH: for over a year now. looks very interesting.

PostPosted: August 31, 2012, 12:10 pm 

Charles,
The car on the table is a 1954 MG TF, which is going to take up most of my time throughout this winter and next spring. Dad bought it in pieces about 12 years ago and got most of it together, other than paint, then stopped. He bought an MGB about 8 years ago, tore it to pieces, and i've just got it back on the road. He's lost all desire to work on cars, so it's now my job to get the TF back together.

I'll post some pics as the restoration progresses.

~Rod

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 12:54 pm 

So, my project has been offically put on hold as i no longer have a work space, the MG TF has now taken over the garage. Spent the this past weekend taking the body tub off the chassis, and painted said chassis. We (dad and i) are hoping to have a rolling (and possibly running) chassis by Christmas. Then fingers crossed have the body painted by the spring, at which point i might be able to get back to my own projects.

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 1:43 pm 

Dude! I hope that pic of you spray painting isn't a reflection of the air quality in your shop! That would be another argument for painting your frame with a brush. Something i concluded after the first tube frame i spray painted :ack:

PostPosted: November 13, 2012, 1:49 pm 

That is indeed a picture showing the air quality in the garage. I wish i still had access to a down draft spray booth. And, yes brush painting a space frame is a great idea. We did brush paint all the "hard to get" places, but sprayed the remainder. Luckily, there isnt any more painting in the near future, or at least until we get to the body.

PostPosted: January 15, 2013, 5:01 pm 

Well, i've now put the Climax Special on hold even further. Dad's TF is now a roller (dont have any current pics) and I dragged this to my storage garage:

Its the remains of a 66 Healey Sprite, that hopefully one day will get a Toyota 4AG, coil overs all around, and possibly a Sebring Sprite fastback body conversion. I traded a bunch of Spridget bits for it, so its really cost me next to nothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next