LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: CS3's projects
PostPosted: November 28, 2010, 2:52 pm 

G4, NICE! I drive a G20 with the Miata 1.8 engine for fun these days. Ginetta cars are great, and I really prefer the round headlight style of the G4. Good luck with the project, although it appears you do not need it.
:)
BT

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 3:23 pm 

Well, i've decided to give up on the G4 project, i just can seem to find any time to get anything done on it. In other news, i spend the better part of sunday making up a pattern for the head fairing on the Eleven. The goal is to make the fairing out of aluminum. Here's some pics:

Also, i've been busy working on a chassis drawing for a Series 1 Seven, so that may be a future project, if i can ever find time.

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 4:15 pm 

What happened to the head fairing that you cut off of it a while back?

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 4:18 pm 

Last edited by KYO on March 21, 2011, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 4:44 pm 

YOU have lost your mind!!!!!!!!!!

Looks good!

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 4:49 pm 

Quote:
What happened to the head fairing that you cut off of it a while back?

The black head fairing was molded into the rear panel on the left hand side (for an LHD car), my car is RHD (which is correct for Elevens) so it was either cut and paste the LHD one to fit or make a new one. The cut and paste wasnt an option, as i've sold my spare body work (which included the head fairing) and the fact that it would take a ton of work. I figure if i can wheel up the fairing in aluminium, i should be able use the skills learned while making it to either make the Eleven body over again in ally or make a set of ally wings and nose for the next car.

Cheers,
Rod

PostPosted: March 14, 2011, 11:16 pm 
The voice of reason

Too bad on the Ginetta project. My High School chemistry teacher had one and I never saw it in one piece though. He showed me the grame on the wall of his garage, but I couldn't picture it at the time.

I hope you pick it up someday. Good luck on your new projects...

PostPosted: April 24, 2011, 11:17 pm 

Havent had much time lately to work on the car, been driving it instead. But today i started on a metal tonneau to convert the car to "single seater" configuration. The bits dont look the best at the moment, but i'm sure i can get them into better shape the next time i get a chance to work on the car. Plus, seeing as they'll be painted, i'm not too concerned about little dents and dings in them. So, onto some pics...

Only downside to the single seat cockpit is i'm just a little too big, so its a very tight fit.

PostPosted: April 24, 2011, 11:31 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:

Only downside to the single seat cockpit is i'm just a little too big, so its a very tight fit.

Looks like you didn't even give yourself your whole side of the car.

PostPosted: April 25, 2011, 8:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Flipper_1938 wrote:
cs3tcr wrote:

Looks like you didn't even give yourself your whole side of the car.

:lol: Hee Hee... CS3 must be a married man... Used to 1/3 of a blanket... :lol:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 4, 2011, 5:31 pm 

Quote:
Hee Hee... CS3 must be a married man... Used to 1/3 of a blanket...

Nah, aint married, living in sin instead.

But, i did trim up the tonneau panel to give myself a little more room. And, for the time being i'm going to make the head fairing and tonneau panel in 'glass. I started on the foam buck for the head fairing over the weekend and started on the "plastic" tonneau panel.

I used a glue gun to hold the foam together (it worked surprisingly well) and am going to cover the foam in plastic (the draft stopping plastic stuff from home depot, which is impervious to polyester resin (at least thats what i've been told)). I'll be using a spray adhesive on the foam to make the plastic stick. I did a test sample and the spray adhesive didtn eat the foam, so this plan might just work. Hopefully this weekend i'll get some time to get the fairing buck ready to cover.

PostPosted: May 5, 2011, 2:08 pm 

cs3tcr wrote:
I used a glue gun to hold the foam together (it worked surprisingly well) and am going to cover the foam in plastic (the draft stopping plastic stuff from home depot, which is impervious to polyester resin (at least thats what i've been told)). I'll be using a spray adhesive on the foam to make the plastic stick. I did a test sample and the spray adhesive didtn eat the foam, so this plan might just work. Hopefully this weekend i'll get some time to get the fairing buck ready to cover.

Are you having problems sanding the foam where the glue is? I tried it with a different glue, and because the glue is harder than the foam it wasn't working well. The foam would break/chunk etc. I ended up making a new piece and making sure there was no glue where I would need to sand.

You may want to verify that the plastic is resin-proof before risking your foam. I ruined one foam buck doing "what i've been told" ;) . I had good luck with tinfoil though:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=11633&p=110684#p110684
Your idea to spray glue the barrier down is probably a good one. Less likely to have an air bubble under the first layer of glass.

Cheers,
Cory

PostPosted: May 6, 2011, 12:42 am 

Why not streching fabric over those plywood/mdf templates, then apply resin to fabric, let it harden and get head start in shaping it much closer to final shape ? Your method will work too, but with lot more sanding.

Petteri

PostPosted: May 6, 2011, 11:12 am 

Petteri
Thats not a bad idea, but i think i would require more stations on the buck to support the fabric. At the back of the buck there is a ton of stations missing.

Cory,
In regards to the plastic film, a friend of mine gave me a demo on using it for a makeshift vacuum bag, and i think i have used it once when i was "rebuilding" the rear panel of the car (but i cant remember for certain, damn resin fumes). As for the hot glue, i kept the glue away from the outside surface of the foam. Any place where it came close to the surface, i trimmed it back a bit with an exacto knife. But, as i'm planning on using the film, i'm not too concerned with small imperfections on the foam. Plus, the buck side of the panel wont be seen, the outside will get sanded and filled. I'll post more photo's once i get some more time in the garage.

Cheers,
Rod

PostPosted: May 6, 2011, 11:26 am 
Toyotaphobe

cs3tcr wrote:
Petteri
As for the hot glue, i kept the glue away from the outside surface of the foam.

I'm not sure I'd have thought of that. Good going!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next