LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: wyked's 3-wheeler
PostPosted: August 25, 2014, 6:43 am 

Robbovius nailed it. I have a lot of air flow but because it's not tight to the head like the tins on VWs it's just not efficient enough.

PostPosted: November 7, 2014, 8:39 pm 

Back working at my snails pace due to work, kids, life, etc. Long winded update ahead...

Currently working on getting the engine mounted but I ran out of Argon, so I'm stalled until I can swap my bottle (tomorrow?). That being said I have been making some progress. I've decided to delay the slipper clutch idea in favor of incorporating a cush drive into the jacktube. The engine sprocket on the CBR is a bit further off the centerline due to the wider rear tire as opposed to the GPz, so in order to fit a cush drive between the sprockets I've ordered an offset sprocket that will be turned in towards the engine. That should give me enough space between the sprockets on the jacktube. Gone are the heavy industrial taperlock gears that were originally on the jack tube and were well on their way to failing a second time. I've purchased some relatively small 530 ATV sprockets that will fit over the jacktube but still be small enough to fit between the engine and frame.

I'm looking into getting some machining done on the rear hub (aka the boat anchor). I was able to drop about 7 lbs in Solidworks but machining the flanges now that they are installed could be too difficult. Wondering if it would be cheaper/easier to just start over? Time will tell.

I picked up some cheap used flebay dual radiators from a GL1500 goldwing. The combined core dimensions work out to slightly larger than the stock unit (pic below). I was thinking of running them in series but when I got them I realized the tubing diameters are smaller on the inlet and outlet. The y-tube that came with them has an outlet the same dimension as the CBR so I'm thinking I'll have to run them in parallel like on the Goldwing in order to not restrict the flow. Looking into surge tanks for the cap or simply a standpipe type fitting with a cap on it.

I went back and forth on retaining the stock exhaust/oil pan setup to save money and time but that would force me to mount the engine pretty high up in the frame. I decided I'd be kicking myself later if I did it that way just to save money at the expense of what is right. So I'm ditching the stock exhaust and oil pan. I picked up a fully baffled sump (pic below). This enabled me to mount the engine as low as possible and now even the huge stock airbox fits under the roll bar diagonal support. Still debating what to do for an air box. For now the internal flapper has been removed from the stock unit. It's big and ugly but it has the stock trumpets which I'd like to retain.

On other fronts I picked up a DIY powdercoating kit and a used oven for the garage. I've been sandblasting and powdercoating the front suspension bits. They were getting pretty rusty as you can see from the pic of the fender mounts. Should look a little nicer when I reassemble the front end.

Hopefully I'll have the engine fully supported soon and moving on to making a new exhaust and coolant systems...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 9, 2014, 9:07 pm 

Wyked, thanks for the update! good choice on the engine.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: November 14, 2014, 11:09 pm 

Got the engine mounted, now I can move on to some of the other systems. I think the stock airbox is starting to grow on me...or at least offend me less. Modify the snorkels, or remove them, and I think it will work out okay.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 15, 2014, 1:00 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Modify the snorkels, or remove them, and I think it will work out okay.
Cut off the original ones, and build some triangular tubes that come up on either side of the driver's head. Paint hair, teeth and eyeballs on 'em and you'll look like Predator drivin' the beastie!!! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 10:39 am 

Coming to the end of Christmas/New Years vacation and I didn't get as much done as I hoped but the coolant system is mostly done. I still have some of the smaller tubing to run but at least the radiators, fans, main plumbing is all hooked up. I went with an adaptation of the Goldwing design (based on the GL1500 which the radiators came from) in terms of a vertical stand pipe for the radiator cap to keep it at the highest point. The overflow is still in the stock location on the front of the engine. I adapted the original throttle cable to the new engine, more curves than the original run but it saves me from buying a new cable and works fine. Started work on the clutch and shifter linkages. I considered converting to hydraulic clutch but again, trying to keep cost low will just add linkages to utilize the original setup. Trying to get everything done forward of the engine in the engine compartment done so that I know what room I have to work with for the new exhaust. Will likely make a heat shield to cover the coolant piping and clutch cable (hard to see in the pictures) to protect it from the exhaust. Not looking forward to the exhaust, especially since I haven't figured out I'm doing with it. May move on to the cush drive jack tube to get the driveline done before tackling the basket of snakes...

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 12:28 pm 

wyked, looks great!

if it was me, I'd leave the airbox alone, since its an engineered part of the whole intake system.

I should be heading down to Hershey to visit Phd daughter sometime over the next two months, would enjoy coming by to check it out.

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 2:05 pm 

robbovius wrote:
I should be heading down to Hershey to visit Phd daughter sometime over the next two months

Then you need to stop by the Antique Automobile Club Of America Museum in Hershey. It is a great place for car guys to spend a good part of a day. Your timing couldn't be better as they are having Lotus as the featured car from Jan 24 thru April 26. A friend has a beautiful Europa that he tried to get in the display but it wasn't accepted.

http://www.aacamuseum.org/exhibits/upcoming/

PostPosted: January 3, 2015, 5:27 pm 

Run87k wrote:
robbovius wrote:
I should be heading down to Hershey to visit Phd daughter sometime over the next two months

Then you need to stop by the Antique Automobile Club Of America Museum in Hershey. It is a great place for car guys to spend a good part of a day. Your timing couldn't be better as they are having Lotus as the featured car from Jan 24 thru April 26. A friend has a beautiful Europa that he tried to get in the display but it wasn't accepted.

http://www.aacamuseum.org/exhibits/upcoming/

Yup, discovered that on my first trip, because I have to drive by their library on the way to the Penn State Medical School hospital where she works. I go to the AACA library and museum there every time, always come home with a couple vintage books from the "used-for sale" racks in the library. Last time I brought home an almost unused "Audel's New Car Guide" (which is more like an encyclopedic service manual for all the domestic makes) from 1939. wanna know how to rebuild Chevy "Knee-action" front ends? change tappets on a Caddy series 60 flathead v8? break out your Audel's. Fascinating.

PostPosted: January 4, 2015, 10:29 am 

Quote:
wyked, looks great!

Thanks!

Quote:
if it was me, I'd leave the airbox alone, since its an engineered part of the whole intake system.

Right now that is the plan, I did however remove the internal flap that gets actuated with the exhaust valve (which is also going bye bye). I tried to modify the stock snorkels but that didn't work out so I just removed them. I tried to make some aluminum ducts along the lines of what Gonzoracer was suggesting (although minus the teeth and eyeballs :lol: ) but I botched them too, so at the moment the stock box is just sitting with the openings in the front where the snorkels were. I may just put some wire mesh grills on the openings to block the big stuff from getting in and leave it be.

Quote:
I should be heading down to Hershey to visit Phd daughter sometime over the next two months, would enjoy coming by to check it out.

Sure thing, just let me know when...

PostPosted: January 11, 2015, 9:42 pm 

Braved the freezing garage this weekend in order to get the rear boat anchor (aka the rear hub) cleaned up and powder coated. The hub works fine but is on the heavy side, so the original plan was to put it on a diet during the engine swap. I came up with a design in Solidworks that would drop it about 6 lbs but in reality the machining would be a challenge with the outer flanges blocking access to the main inner flange. It could be done, but none of the local machine shops wanted to take it on. So that design has been shelved as a future project when time and $ allow for making a whole new hub. The picture below shows it mounted up in the swing arm in order to figure out the final sprocket placement on the jack tube so that I can finalize the design of the cush drive upgrade to that component. The old rattle can paint job on the swing arm isn't looking too good but it will have to wait along with the frame to get powder coated by someone with a larger oven once it's back on the road and I'm confident I'm done cutting and grinding on the frame. If I can keep up this pace it may actually be back on the road by Spring...

PostPosted: March 1, 2015, 4:12 pm 

It tough to want to be in the garage these days but I'm starting to work on the exhaust. I decided to stick with a 4-2-1 exhaust along the lines of the stock system (stock pipe lengths) but without the exhaust valve and exiting out the side of the engine. Below is a picture of the mid-pipe which is slightly more than tacked together. The rear most collector and cone are all that is left of the stock system. This was the easy part, not looking forward to the individual tubes from the head to the collectors...

PostPosted: April 26, 2015, 10:18 am 

More progress on the exhaust. The primaries are done and fully welded. I can check "bundle of snakes" off of my fabrication bucket list. Not sure I need to do another one anytime soon. Still a little worried about if/how much it warped, I did as much with everything bolted up as I could but eventually I had to just finish welding the primaries separately. It bolted back up to the engine okay, hopefully it still mates up with the frame mount and muffler. Next up is actually mounting the coolant pipes to the bulkhead and making a heat shield between the header and coolant lines. Now that the weather is getting nice it's starting to drive me nuts this isn't back on the road yet. Definitely helps with motivation but finding time is still the hard part.

PostPosted: April 27, 2015, 8:06 am 

nice progress!

I can see an updated header in my/the B-3's future, kinda not looking forward to it.

PostPosted: April 27, 2015, 9:56 pm 

Thanks robbovius, I'd like to say the header wasn't too bad, but it was VERY tedious trying to fit and tack each segment of the twists and turns between the engine and firewall. I hope this is the last one I need to make for the trike. Another benefit of your front mounted engine, you should have much easier access and available space to make the new header. Good luck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next