LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Gecko Project
PostPosted: March 13, 2014, 12:55 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
the Whale Shark (©, ®, and TM) look of the front

I'm sure glad you cleared that up, explaining it was supposed to look like a whale shark. For a while there, I though you were building a Mitsubishi!

Well, it does have a Lancer motor :) It was also suggested, on a local forum, that this Audi could make a good grille donor:

The final layout should be more apparent after tonight. I might try to take a pic with a front wheel in place too, just to make the proportions more apparent since the shape is unlike a "normal" Locost nose.

Dominic

PostPosted: March 13, 2014, 8:44 am 

The anti-Whale Shark work has begun :) This is just mocked up in card here although I have started on the ali piece. Stuck a wheel on to get some sense of proportion too.

Profile looks alright to me as well....

Sunday is finish the nosecone day:
  • Finish the cross piece/splitter
  • TIG all of the corners of the edging tubes
  • TIG any other dodgy corners etc
  • Make an internal C-section stiffener for the back edge where it'll hinge from
  • Dimple and countersink rivet lots of pieces in place

Not all of the above will necessarily get done. If it does, then I can:
  • Cut out the front diagonal and put it in the other way so the bottom radiator hose can get through
  • Remake the bottom radiator mounts for the new position
  • ditto the top radiator mounts/s
  • Trim the "sticky out" ears at the front corners of the chassis (after reinforcing the inner corner)
  • Make the baffle panel to shroud the radiator to the nosecone

So, not much to do then :shock:

More as it happens.

PostPosted: March 13, 2014, 9:54 am 
Toyotaphobe

You need to put a big S in the grill and then add a cape to the roll bar.

I guess that means you'll have to wear tights to drive it.

Super Duper Dude!!!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 23, 2014, 5:19 am 

Bit of a lag in updates due to illness/work/general lassitude :)

Today I made a hammer form and knocked out a proper cross rail for the nosecone:

After some trimming, that was rough fitted:

TIG welder is out of action at present so nothing's welded yet. I did have another stab at what the radiator exit grille might look like, in preparation for getting a prototype waterjet cut in a week or so (I'm piggy backing on one of Paul's orders to avoid the minimum charge):

As well, there's a variety of places where I'll need to butt join panels so it's nice to have a way to keep things clamped and aligned. You can buy these clamps but I'm not paying $12/ea + postage for something that can be made from scrap in half an hour or so. Made four to start with but may yet make a few more:

Hopefully the TIG will be back online on Tuesday night and the nosecone can start to come together.

More then,

Dominic

PostPosted: March 23, 2014, 8:27 am 

Is this thing finished yet?

Stone the bloody crows.

PostPosted: March 24, 2014, 3:35 am 

cheapracer wrote:

Stone the bloody crows.

Strewth Cheapy! Fair suck of the sav, a man's been flat out like a lizard drinking :shock: :P

It's getting there.........

PostPosted: March 24, 2014, 10:28 pm 
We are Slotus!

OzGecko wrote:
cheapracer wrote:

Stone the bloody crows.

Strewth Cheapy! Fair suck of the sav, a man's been flat out like a lizard drinking :shock: :P

Need I remind you that this is an English speaking forum?
Or, as we'd say in the Southern US, "Whut th' hayull are y'all talkin' 'bout?" :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 24, 2014, 11:05 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:

Need I remind you that this is an English speaking forum?
Or, as we'd say in the PROMISED LAND, "Whut th' hayull are y'all talkin' 'bout?" :mrgreen:

JDK

Fixed it for you,

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 26, 2014, 3:50 pm 

Dom,
I apologize for derail- out of town and "biz center" mochines fighting my luddite comp skills! The first week in May looks to put me in Brisbane, via AirNZ again! I'll supply details as they are revealed! I'm still waking up with cold sweats- you have to be kidding- 400 different beers? That's a tall (hopefully frosty) one, even for a boy from Texas! The car is looking more and more like a driver everyday! :cheers: Chris

PostPosted: April 6, 2014, 6:22 am 

Well, sh*t :BH:

Since last we spoke, quite of bit of this has happened:

and some of this as well:

The end result being this:

However, your eyes do not deceive - those top corners are NOT the same shape :shock: This is the result of me not checking carefully while the nose was being rolled around on the bench for tacking and then welding. So, on Thursday night I spent some quality time with sash cramps etc trying to pull the whole thing back into shape. And then I cut partially into the joints around the cross-piece and leaned on it some more. And then I cut one whole end of the cross piece free (with a sproooooingg of released tension!) and tried some more. And finally, I hacked the whole cross piece out and forced the cone back into its proper shape :(

So, now I have to make a new cross piece (not so bad, I have the former etc), clean out the remains of the old one (crappy, fiddly, work with a flap wheel), trim the new one to fit (I know how to do that now!), and ask (i.e. pay) Paul to weld it all up - AGAIN! :BH: :BH: :BH:

Measure 400 times, weld once. There endeth the lesson........

PostPosted: April 6, 2014, 7:18 am 

The previous update was actually from 2 days ago, I just hadn't posted it here yet.

OK, after Thursday night's frustrating setback today was pretty successful :)

Made a new cross bar and shrunk the flanges a little at each side to put some more shape in it:
ImageImage

Much careful laying out of centre lines etc (don't panic, the centre is the left edge of that vertical tape strip!) and checking measurements etc...

Trim the new part and offer it up...

Tack it in place using the chassis as the ultimate alignment jig :)
ImageImage

More checking measurements and alignments and then weld it all in

Then lift off and dress all of the welds. And don't worry, it's still square - the angle of the photo just makes it look skew :o

Greatly satisfying to get to this point. Many, many thanks to Paul for cheerfully (well, as cheerful as Paul ever is :P ) welding it all together for me twice in a week!

Next is finish bonnet and latches and we're getting much closer to body work done. Aim is to get it out of Paul's workshop and back to mine before ANZAC day.

D

PostPosted: April 6, 2014, 7:21 am 

mysmallwheels wrote:
Dom,
I apologize for derail- out of town and "biz center" mochines fighting my luddite comp skills! The first week in May looks to put me in Brisbane, via AirNZ again! I'll supply details as they are revealed! I'm still waking up with cold sweats- you have to be kidding- 400 different beers? That's a tall (hopefully frosty) one, even for a boy from Texas! The car is looking more and more like a driver everyday! :cheers: Chris

Chris,

Look forward to catching up with you when you're here. Don't worry about the 400 beers - we normally only try 50 or so on any given visit :P

I'll PM you my direct email to say any more to-and-fro in here :)

D

PostPosted: April 15, 2014, 10:04 am 

Not much progress since last update for various reasons. After the welding of the new crosspiece, there was a hollow on each side, as per picture:

Some judicious hammer and dolly work saw that reduced to basically nil:

The only other thing worth showing a picture off is the mockup set of grille bars I made to check proportions etc with. They don't photograph well, being (very) matte black but you get the idea:

The final shape will be a somewhat flatter for that top bar so it follows the shape of the nose better.

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 7:31 am 

Been busy doing anything but working on the car over Easter etc - starting to get a bit done again now.

Hinged the nosecone off the bottom front of the chassis:

Which of course then makes it clear that I hadn't thought through the pivot radius etc viz-a-viz the notches that clear the headlight mounts :BH:

Some judicious trimming has made the notches bigger and I can pretend it was designed that way :) This shot shows the trimmed notches and the reason for tilting the nosecone....

Yep, the whole lot will tilt as an assembly.

The reason I needed to finalise the bonnet/nosecone was because I'm trying to finish the new radiator mounts. It's mocked up in position but that's as far as I got tonight:

There's always interesting distractions in Paul's workshop.......

520ci Keith Black alloy-block dragster motor - in need of some love after the sudden departure of a con rod :P . Obviously not the first time as evidenced by the various repairs visible on the outside :o

More (on my car at least) as it happens.

PostPosted: April 29, 2014, 8:09 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Which of course then makes it clear that I hadn't thought through the pivot radius etc viz-a-viz the notches that clear the headlight mounts
Gee, that kind of stuff never happens at Team Slotus... Riiiiighttttt.... Believe that one??? But will the lid tilt upwards enough to get your suitcase* out?
Attachment:
beer-natural-lite.jpg
*Suitcase in question
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next