LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Gecko Project
PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 1:36 pm 

im 23 and i remember the small hard discs and the big 5" ones with the soft covers... oh and Oregon trail... that game was the [PooPoo] :cheers:

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: March 22, 2009, 12:47 am 

Hey, us young punks remember floppy disks, I remember oregon trail on the 5.25"s :)[/quote]

Ha, good old B drives. You young 'uns have no idea what a revalation CD's were!

PostPosted: March 24, 2009, 6:58 pm 

lucky you, I used tape recorders on my Sinclair and C64.. :)

day job: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v723/turbolimac/portfolio/

PostPosted: March 25, 2009, 8:20 am 

Been there, done that......

DVD's
CD's
SD cards
Thumb drives
Portable Hard Drives
3-1/2" "stiffy"
5-1/4" floppy
8" floppy
audio tape recorder for the Sinclair and C64

And in the spirit of one-ups-manship, I once programmed an 8080 processor (16K eprom) in machine language using 17 switches. 8 toggles flipped up or down for the address location, 8 toggles for the byte word, and a push button to program the info. I'm sure there are others here who did the same. I would guess the media was a piece of paper that you wrote the program in pencil. Not for the faint of heart.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 3:40 am 

My welder friend is pushing me to make progress so he came over yesterday and we got a lot of welding done on the chassis. After he'd left I was cleaning up and decide to pull the chassis off the build board onto the floor and prop it up at ride height for a look see. Definitely starting to resemble a car now :)

There's still quite a bit to do but some things I'd held off finishing until internal corners were welded can now be done. Plus, we didn't flip the chassis over so there's still all the underneath joints to do. Anyway, any progress is still progress.

Dominic

PostPosted: May 4, 2009, 8:42 am 

Looks good.

PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 8:34 am 

Scary! - nearly 12 months since my last update

Work has been eating me alive for the last year, to the point of asking (demanding!) that I cancel my leave last year in favour of a project with impossible delivery dates. Leave was canceled and then the project got deferred anyway :x

So, we finally got to take some leave and we're just coming to the end of 6 weeks off (back to work Tuesday ). First two weeks spent out of town having a proper holiday together. Next two weeks mostly spent running to-and-fro with family matters (a seriously ill father). By week five, energy levels were rising enough to consider work so some of the crap in workshop was reorganised (meaning, I moved it from one pile into another) and I tried to get the chassis out to work on.

Job one was replace the castor wheel I'd broken off the build table when I shoved it in the corner. That means, drag chassis off board onto floor [took the opportunity to put the chassis on the scales and pleasantly surprised to see ~85kg errr 190lb], then drag build board off base onto another piece of floor, then flip base upside down onto build board and drill the screw holes for the castor to the right depth this time. Standing looking at the castor, getting measurements, SWMBO enters workshop and sees me in flip-flops(*note) - says "Are you putting your safety boots on?". "Yes dear, once I actually start working on things". Put castor down, only to have it overbalance, and fall from bench height onto big toe nail :shock: Cue mixture of concern and pissing-herself-laughter from SWMBO as I roll on floor clutching toe!

Anyway, self harm aside, while the chassis was on the floor, I propped it up ride height and finally finished the removable rear engine bay brace. This means I can swing the engine in and finalise engine mounts etc. And here's a picture

Engine bay from behind with the brace in

And with the brace removed, showing ease of access

The welded in mounting plate also gussets the strut tube. A "matching" plate is welded to the top of the brace.
ImageImage

On the subject of engine mounts - I'm interested in opinions one way or the other regarding reusing the OEM Mitsubishi mounts versus the "universal" type machinery mounts that most people seem to use. Given that they're acting as both engine and gearbox mounts I'm wondering if the universal ones are appropriate or not? Answers on the back of a $50 note to the undersigned

Anyway, any progress is good so, onward and upward.

Dominic

(*note - In Australian English I would say "thongs" - I'm hoping flip-flops is correct American English. Cheapracer, or anyone else, feel free to correct me :) )

PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 8:57 am 

In the Midwest USA we used to call them thongs but now we call them flip-flops. Thongs have taken on a new meaning now days. Usually associated with poll dancing. I don't blame your SWMBO for laughing. You will know better the next time. Good to have you back again. Russ

PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 9:04 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Gecko-
Let me help you with your "American" speaking skills.

These are "flip flops"
Attachment:
flipflop.jpg

This is a "thong"
Attachment:
thong.jpg

Lots of folks wear flip flops.

Only certain folks should wear thongs. If you choose to wear one, that's OK, I guess. Kinda creepy, but OK. Just please, please, for the love of Colin Chapman do not post a picture of yourself in that outfit!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JD Kemp

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 9:07 am 
We are Slotus!

Oh, and what does SWMBO stand for?

I refer to Gayle as "TWWTFM" which stands for "The White Woman That Feeds Me" but she says that's not politically correct.... It's all true, but not PC.

Good lookin' build you got there, too, Sir!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 12:07 pm 

OzGecko, where da ya reckon I'm from Mate?

Giz another XXXX and throw another snag on the Barbie would ya ;)

PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 8:20 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
OzGecko, where da ya reckon I'm from Mate?

Giz another XXXX and throw another snag on the Barbie would ya ;)
Struth Cheapie! I already had ya pegged as an Ozzie living OS, but now I reckon you might be another Brissy boy :)
GonzoRacer wrote:
She Who Must Be Obeyed :D

In Australia, we'd call the underwear/swimwear item a "G String" although thong (singular) is now a recognised term. These are what most Australians would call thongs (note the plural):

Anyway, enough faffing about over trans-oceanic English - back to cars :)

PostPosted: April 23, 2010, 8:24 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:

This should explain things. ;)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swmbo

Don't worry, the link is family safe.

PostPosted: April 24, 2010, 9:22 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Gecko-
TWWTFM says that "SWMBO" is a much better title, and wants me to refer to her that way now. My own damned fault, why did I go and tell her about this conversation????

Yeah, let's get back to cars... Although searching for a picture the American version of "thong" was kinda fun...

I'll take one o' them XXXX's while yer passin' 'em out, too!

JD Kemp

PostPosted: May 11, 2010, 9:15 am 

Suspension work continues apace.

On the weekend my machinist friend handed me a box with my top wishbone threaded bushes - these are the "infinite adjustment" type with a threaded sleeve inside the weld tube - see photo. No excuses not to get my wishbones finished now ;) Thanks again Paul.

The rear end of the car is strut by Corolla uprights and modified strut tubes. The Corolla bottom balljoint is an odd shape (a little reminiscent of the angled Cortina lower part) and I'd spent a bit of time fussing around how I'd mount it. Last night I picked up this from my engraver friend:

Two sample wishbone plates, test cut in 3mm MDF. Once knocked out and cleaned you get this. Note the half depth slots - these are to encourage and assist some bends.

Once bent and hot-glued to some 22mm dowel "wishbone tubes" you get this:
ImageImage

And here's the mock-up wishbone in place with the upright etc to check clearances:

There's a few small tweaks needed but it looks like I can get the real deal cut in 3mm steel sometime early next week. Should be able to tack up top front and rear wishbones all at once :)

Dominic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next