LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Gecko Project
PostPosted: January 27, 2014, 9:17 am 

Haven't got back to the bottom half of the nosecone yet, but I have rolled both a scuttle and a bonnet, although there's some more trimming and finishing needed for both of them yet.

Plus, I've continued on with my dash development, and have got this far with the panel overlay. It looks better in the flesh, because it's reverse printed on transparency film and isn't being held properly flat in this picture.

Dominic

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 5:51 am 

Not much to show for the last few weeks of work. This bit actually photographed OK so I'll put it up. And don't worry, a hole got cut for the tie rod too, I just didn't take another photo :P

Dominic

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 7:43 am 

OH, I thought you'd incorporated that new wireless steering! I admit I'm mildly disappointed ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 10:23 pm 

OG- I have been trying to find tubing with the blue "weld thru" coating I see on your frame.
Somewhere (that I can't seem to find anymore), on an OzClub or NZ site I think someone mentioned
the coating was to prevent surface rusting while building. After that it's all fuzz and static.
Thanks in advance, and "Dayum!... that's nice!" Good on ya, Mate!
May be in Brisbane in April- Second trip to SE Oz, and I didn't fall off the earth once! Chris :cheers: :lurking:

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 11:00 pm 

I didn't know square tubing didn't come with a blue coating until I went overseas!

Growing up in Australia can certainly spoil you and yes, it can lay around your shed for many years without rusting at all so I'm guessing the paint has a bit of sacrificial zinc or nickel in it.

PostPosted: February 11, 2014, 12:54 am 

Rob, I knew I had to mention the missing hole or someone would have fun with it. I'll get back to you about the wireless option :P

Chris & Mark - I was also amazed when I first saw people online using uncoated steel that was rusting almost in front of their eyes! The only tube you'd usually see here uncoated would be cheap "furniture tube" - light gauges and low quality. That said, the blue-tube isn't as good as it once was. The stuff that was milled locally (probably Palmer or BHP) had a good quality weld-through primer. The latest bits I've bought are probably Chinese made and the coating is basically just blue paint which you need to grind off for decent results. Still better than having it rust in the storage rack though. Given that summer humidity in Brisbane averages 60%, rust on exposed metal is a constant problem.

Chris, if you're in Bris-vegas (as the locals lovingly call it :ack:) in April, drop me a PM on here and we'll have a beer (time permitting).

Dominic

PostPosted: February 11, 2014, 4:56 pm 

Dom, Will do, as last trip a couple of your countrymen decided to "educate" my palate!
I was amazed; the stuff they sell here in the "Good Ole" really should be poured back
into the horse it was drained from! I was very late developing a taste for beer at all (already
at the decrepit age of 31!), as a result I was for many years a fan of "Oiskey", the Irish
"Water of Life". Even much of what passes for "foreign" beer here is brewed for an "American"
palate- :ack:
As soon as my employer sends me travel info, I'll email you!
Damn fine Sheilas you've got too! Chris :cheers:

PostPosted: February 11, 2014, 7:53 pm 

Chris,

Glad to hear you've started your education into Australian beer :D I've tried a few American beers and can understand why Australian's often refer to them as "Sex in a canoe" i.e. f*cking close to water! :mrgreen: If time and circumstances permit, we'll go to Archives http://www.archivebeerboutique.com.au/ where they have 400+ different beers on sale :cheers:

Dominic

PostPosted: March 9, 2014, 4:23 am 

Some updates for the last 4 weeks of effort:

Marked the bonnet to size and formed the bottom edges (this picture was before I'd done the left side which is why it's sagging):

Remade the bottom half of the nosecone and got it (temporarily) joined to the top half for fitting. Still needs its front edge rolled over but I need to modify my forming buck a little for it to fit.

Dominic

PostPosted: March 9, 2014, 10:43 am 
We are Slotus!

The shape of that nose is just intriguing... Can't wait to see the finished version!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 10, 2014, 1:49 am 

Oz- see you are moving on! JD said it - can't wait to see how this finishes!
On a completely other note- 400 freakin' different beers! A couple of local mates decided to "educate" the colonial boy! Six beers (ya'll don't have any of that silly 3.2 crap, no siree!) and I needed evacuation! But is was great! Still don't have much more than "1st part on May" to work with, but I'll let you know! Chris :cheers:

PostPosted: March 10, 2014, 7:10 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
The shape of that nose is just intriguing... Can't wait to see the finished version!
Me neither :P

Seriously though, it's odd seeing shapes that have mostly just been in my head or maybe bad (very bad) sketches turning into 3-dimensional reality in front of me. Now that I'm nearly finished the metalwork phase I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Caught myself thinking about "the next build" the other day :shock: Should probably finish this one first :BH:

More after the next weekend probably.....

Dominic

PostPosted: March 11, 2014, 9:27 am 

Got a bit done tonight. Having trimmed the wooden buck down enough (just) I squeezed the bottom half of the nosecone over it, marked, removed, trimmed, re-fitted, and then hammered the edge over. Having done that, I could turn to my "What's an easy way of reinforcing this edge and making sure it's got a nice profile" solution a.k.a. a length of 16mm (that's about 5/8") ali tube :) Some pie-cuts in the corners (which will get a visit from Mr TIG) and Robert's your mother's brother.

Need to get another bit of tube because I only grabbed enough to try the idea and was a little surprised how well it went :P so only got this far tonight:

Don't worry - there's a mitigation process in the planning as well to address the Whale Shark (©, ®, and TM) look of the front :shock:

More on Thursday night (probably).

PostPosted: March 11, 2014, 7:58 pm 

I like the whale shark look....looks hungry!

PostPosted: March 12, 2014, 10:11 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
the Whale Shark (©, ®, and TM) look of the front

I'm sure glad you cleared that up, explaining it was supposed to look like a whale shark. For a while there, I though you were building a Mitsubishi!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next