LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TickTack's 1000cc Trike
PostPosted: April 29, 2009, 10:27 pm 

Well, I decided to give this a shot as my senior project. I don't know a whole lot about it and with a timeframe of 10 weeks to design and 20 weeks to build, I did everything as carefully as possible without over-analyzing anything (and potentially under-analyzing in places). My main goal was to have it on wheels by Friday, May 1, 2009. That's this Friday and I'm pretty sure it'll be rolling by then. I just found this site and I wish I had a long time ago!

I'm always open to comments, suggestions and criticism, but please realize that I'm a student building this in my own time in a very short amount of time. I won't be making any major changes (I'll likely build another one down the road). Anyway, I'll let the pictures do the talking. I've been keeping a build log here, read this to get caught up if you're interested! I'll start posting my new updates here from now on, as well as in the build log.

http://www.heapV.com/build

Last edited by TickTack on April 29, 2009, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 29, 2009, 10:41 pm 

Here's a long-overdue update:

After getting the baja car on the road to oregon, I was able to work hard all day today to make progress towards meeting my goal of having the heapV on wheels by Friday morning. Friday morning is signifigant because that’s when I have to show what I have completed so far to the campus community (this is my senior project, remember?). Anyway, the pictures tell most of the story. We finished welding up the front A-Arms and got the back all figured out (but not fully welded yet). The entire frame needs to be finish welded but we’ll do that once we can pull the motor and get it on a rotiserie.

I was also able to pull apart the front spindles and get them cleaned up a little bit. We needed to bore out the lower ball joint bolt so that I could fit the 5/8 ball joints in. I rebuilt the calipers, bead blasted them and then painted them. Pictures from that process will come in the next update.

Next I tackled the rocker arm fabrication. This is something I’ve been avoiding because I’m only about 80% confident in my design. That last 20% will come once I’ve had a chance to drive the vehicle. Luckily, they were pretty easy to make so if I’ve gotta do it again, it’ll be manageable. I decided to build them from waterjet parts mainly because not only will they be cheaper and faster to make, but they’ll likely be stronger than a billet Al piece. Once I have the design nailed down and tested, maybe I’ll get fancy. Here’s a shot of the parts camed out and ready to cut.

Here are the parts fresh off of the waterjet.

And here’s a mockup before the welding started. That’s a piece of 1.00x.065 chromoly tubing where the bushing will go. I’ll mill the bushings tomorrow and get pictures for tomorrow night’s update.

Finally, here’s the piece all welded up. It’s not real pretty but we’re going to mill it down to fit the bushings in anyway. We’ll see how they turn out tomorrow.

Don’t forget that I’ve started leaving a lot of small details out. I won’t be sharing screenshots of the solid model or anything anymore since that could go on and on. Of course, if you have any questions or would like to see something else, let me know and I’ll be happy to do what I can.

PostPosted: April 30, 2009, 7:26 am 

That's a pretty aggressive time table but given the purpose it's understandable. I just wish I could make that kind of progress (and water jet parts for that matter...). Good luck!

PostPosted: April 30, 2009, 7:46 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Nice build!

On your next, consider that bike swingarms are not designed for significant lateral thrust loads, which will be present in a trike that doesn't lean. The swingarm pivot axis should pass through the center of the drive sprocket to maintain chain/belt tension.

The pivots should be as far apart as practical so the wheel can move from side to side less with a given amount of pivot bushing clearance and compliance.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 30, 2009, 5:48 pm 

Nice camera. Those pics are sharp.