LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: December 7, 2012, 9:17 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

hassleweed wrote:
Congrats on the drive! Will we be seeing it tearing up the track at the Q sometime soon?
What are you planning on registering it as? I believe if it doesn't look like a period car, it can be registered as a 1960 - is that right?
Martin

I'm years out of practice after being fairly good at one time with my Datsun 1200. Because it was so long ago I'm sure I'd suck in anything I drive - autocross is very good at humbling self-proclaimed awesome drivers. So to answer your question, yes I'll be taking it down there at least once but expect to get my butt handed to me by a 16-yr old. 400 hp is useless on an autocross course... I guess the real point is just to make sure that nothing drops off, lol.

PostPosted: December 7, 2012, 9:46 pm 

KB58 wrote:
hassleweed wrote:
Congrats on the drive! Will we be seeing it tearing up the track at the Q sometime soon?
What are you planning on registering it as? I believe if it doesn't look like a period car, it can be registered as a 1960 - is that right?
Martin

I'm years out of practice after being fairly good at one time with my Datsun 1200. Because it was so long ago I'm sure I'd suck in anything I drive - autocross is very good at humbling self-proclaimed awesome drivers. So to answer your question, yes I'll be taking it down there at least once but expect to get my butt handed to me by a 16-yr old. 400 hp is useless on an autocross course... I guess the real point is just to make sure that nothing drops off, lol.

ROTFL!!!
Can I come along a test the 908-3?? with you? :roll:

PostPosted: December 8, 2012, 1:14 am 

Sounds like it's fairly simply then as far as registration goes.... at least in south dakota and california.

As for the fuel cell and everything, sounds like that would work quite well. Are you using in in tank pump or an external?

I gotta say Kurt, there is not a single thing I don't like about the car.

PostPosted: December 8, 2012, 1:23 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Ya know, I'm an electrical engineer and yet I couldn't bring myself to use an in-tank pump. Yes I understand the physics of why it doesn't explode, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Also, obviously an external one is much easier to service, plus the most common aftermarket fuel injection pumps (for Hondas at least) are external.

And thank you, the rear styling was really tough, and I ended up leaning on the suggestions of others who have a better eye for such things. With it running now, work turns to fully finishing and prepping the panels for paint.

Last edited by KB58 on January 13, 2013, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 8, 2012, 1:40 am 

KB58 wrote:
Ya know, I'm an electrical engineer and yet I couldn't bring myself to use an in-tank pump. Yes I understand the physics of why it doesn't explode, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Also, obviously an external one is much easier to service, plus the most common aftermarket fuel injection pumps (for Hondas at least) are external.

And thank you, the rear styling was really tough, and I ended up leaning on the suggestions of others who have a better eye for such things. With in now running, work next turns to fully finishing and prepping the panels for paint.

The rear styling really had me worried for a bit til I saw the video and some of your most recent images. Reminds me of a cross between a Pagani Zonda and a Koenigsegg CCX. One thing though, what are you planning on doing for the rear engine lid? Kind've curious how that will turn out. Also, any thoughts on using a scoop for the intercooler and will it be ducted out above the engine at all?

As for an in tank pump I completely understand, I'm in the South Dakota air guard in the electrical and environmental shop and honestly I don't know if I would want to run an internal pump in a cell either with a custom setup. It honestly is probably 10x easier to setup considering you don't have to fab a pump hanger, don't have to deal with more leaks.... don't have to worry about baffling interfering with the pump... speaking of pump, what kind of pump did you decide on? I've got a bosch 044 on my other "fast car" and though it's slightly loud it pulls enough fuel for around 650hp on e85 at 100% duty cycle.

PostPosted: December 8, 2012, 12:32 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

From my book manuscript:
Quote:
Fuel pump volume and pressure requirements are set by your engine's expected power, and whether it's fuel-injected or carbureted. For higher-power fuel-injected engines, the widely-available and reasonably-priced 255 liter per hour Walbro GSL392 external pump works well. The higher-quality Bosch ``044'' pump (full part number: 0 580 254 044) is more expensive but allegedly more reliable. The car was built using the Walbro unit and while it's worked fine, there have been enough negative comments about it that the Bosch unit will be considered at replacement time.

Regardless of the pump that's used, make sure it's rated for external use. Many in-tank pumps use fuel to cool them and have a fuel bleed port that dumps fuel straight out the side of the unit. My brother discovered the hard way that using an internal pump externally when it spewed fuel all over the garage.

Using an external pump also avoids cutting a leak-prone pump-sized hole in the tank, plus it's easier to diagnose and replace if you can get to it easily. It also allows using an easy-to-replace fuel filter ahead of it, one outside the tank can be easily replaced. Be sure to have two fuel filters, one upstream of the pump to filter out ``big chunks'' so they don't ruin the pump, and a high-quality 10-micron filter downstream to protect the injectors.

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 3:46 pm 

Do you think it would be possible to put a roof on the car? I think it would make for nicer long drives as far as suntans and rain go.

Also, do you have any timeline for your book?

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 3:52 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Yes a roof is knocking around in my head and is mostly designed.

The book will be done about a month after its first trackday event. All the bodywork is either out fot paint or ready to go, so it won't be "too" much longer.

PostPosted: January 13, 2013, 11:41 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Nearly everything has come back from paint - it's now up to me to put it all back together... As shown, the panels are mostly sitting loose on the car - to keep them out of the way of my clumsy feet. Still lots to do but the list is getting short. (Under flourescent lighting the lime-green looks terrible - much better in sunlight.)

Last edited by KB58 on January 13, 2013, 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: January 13, 2013, 11:46 pm 

Racing Green! I like it. :cheers:

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 12:53 am 

Kurt, Midlana is looking fantastic!

+1 :cheers:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 10:41 am 

I love the pop rivet debris. A fellow could do some serious skating on that floor. :lol: Kurt, you are clearly a man on a mission.

Dumb question #66: What is that unit mounted in front of the radiator on the drivers side? It looks like a camera, but I'm sure that remark is just exposing my technological ignorance.

The radiator looks really good and appears to have through bolts for mounting. Is it an off-the-shelf product or something you had made?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 11:17 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

"On a mission" describes it well and is the reason for the mess.

That thing at the front is the horn! It's loud as hell so it was pointed staight ahead and away from me. Didn't want to pop rivet it to the nose.

It's just a standard radiator which has been reworked as needed. I'm not proud that I used the radiator fan zip-mounts, running them through the radiator core. There's a chance that the fan will mess up the radiator if it starts sliding around, necessitating adding real mounts (later.)

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 11:27 am 
Always Moore!

Dang that looks good Kurt. Nice work.

PostPosted: January 14, 2013, 11:35 am 

Great looking car! Can't wait to see it finished!

I recognize that horn. I've got one myself. Little cars MUST have big horns. I am Chuck, and I suppport this message.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next