LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: June 1, 2014, 2:53 am 

I moved last month and have been doing house stuff nearly none stop so no new progress other than getting it into the new garage. I now have a 3 car garage but only the locost is inside. For nearly a month it was being used as storage. I can see the car now. This garage didn't have any storage so I had to build shelfs and work benches.

Evo

PostPosted: June 1, 2014, 9:10 am 
The voice of reason

Congrats on the new place! We'll see how the struggle for garage spots goes. If you build fast enough maybe the garage will get filled with Locosts...
:)

PostPosted: July 11, 2014, 4:23 pm 

Just a quick shot of the car in its new garage. Been working hard on trying to organize it.

Evo

PostPosted: July 19, 2014, 7:05 pm 

I've decided to do a bit of work on the side pods. They stick out a bit past the rear tires and look out of place. Every time I show a picture of the project I get asked if it's a 3 wheeler. Anyway I figure from the looks of it I can bring the sides in about 3 inches. Maybe more if I'm creative. Currently I have a space outside of the fuel tank where the fuel pump is housed. My pump is mounted next to the tank on the floor. Is there any issue if I mount the fuel pump above the tank?

Evo

PostPosted: July 20, 2014, 12:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
They stick out a bit past the rear tires and look out of place. Every time I show a picture of the project I get asked if it's a 3 wheeler. Anyway I figure from the looks of it I can bring the sides in about 3 inches.

Sounds to me like you just need to use 3" wider rear tires... :mrgreen:

Fuel pump slightly higher than tank would probably :?: be OK, but pumps push fuel a whole lot better than they pull it. If there's any way to keep the pump more at the level of the bottom of the tank I'd go for that option.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 21, 2014, 4:36 pm 

I would love wider tires but this is a little cheaper. I may be able to mount the pump In front of the tank. I have also decided me exhuast extends to the rear a bit too much. I may cut the bends off the cats and have then exit out the side slightly angled from the tires.

Evo

PostPosted: July 21, 2014, 4:47 pm 

That last pic only looks like a trike because of the fisheye lens.

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 10:39 pm 

After some deep thought I decided to cut down the side pods so they don't extend out so much. I found that I could cut 3 inches off the sides. I then found that it would look better if I moved the pod forward of the rear wheels about 3 inches. I've cut nearly the entire pod off and kind of like the look without them. Problem is I have so much wiring on the driver's side I still need the pod. Plus I would have to figure out a new wiper system. I'm also debating cutting out the oil canned steel floor and going with an aluminum one.

evo

PostPosted: September 14, 2014, 12:45 am 

After cutting off the fuel tank side pod I found another area to address. I want this to look like a mostly traditional locost with side pods. One of the best locost traits are the rear fenders. Looking at the rear strut mounts I found I can remove almost 5ins so the rear aluminum bits can be flat around the suspension. If I remove this material I can use Jacks steam roller fenders at there full 12in width.

I also decided I'm going to sell my current fuel tank and buy the rci 15 gallon. It's only 9inches wide and will look better than my current 12in wide tank. Doing all of this will reduce the overall width of the car from 76in to 64in at the hips.

Evo

PostPosted: September 14, 2014, 8:07 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Doing all of this will reduce the overall width of the car from 76in to 64in at the hips.

Well, if you feel you must... Personally...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 14, 2014, 12:36 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:
Doing all of this will reduce the overall width of the car from 76in to 64in at the hips.

Well, if you feel you must... Personally...

Lol well taking her up a little by the hips will make the fat bottom look all that much bigger. I think it will look nice.

Evo

PostPosted: September 15, 2014, 8:50 pm 

More work to be done. I was looking at the rear suspension and found that my strut mounts are 1.25in off center on both sides. While working on a way of fixing this I decided the wheelbase is too long at 123in. I think I can cut that down by 8 to 10inches so it looks a bit better. I have a lot of space in front of the engine to work with so I'm tearing it apart to address this.

Evo

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 4:54 pm 

Pulled the engine today. I think I'm going to reuse the main frame rails and cut off the strut mounts and make my own that are smaller and stronger. Lots of cutting in my future. Lol

Evo

PostPosted: September 18, 2014, 12:02 pm 

Well I was looking at the car today and I think I'm going to cut the rollcage down a bit and move the front rollbar toward the back. It always bothered me that I had such a wide cage. With that I'm going to have to work on the dash and make a custom dashboard. Not sure if I'm going to use the front rollbar as a windshield frame or add a second frame to it.

Evo

PostPosted: September 18, 2014, 7:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

evo626 wrote:
It always bothered me that I had such a wide cage.

Evo

It looks just about perfect to me. It does what it's supposed to do, it's much easier to get in and out of than if the front bar were further back and it's in the right place for a windshield.

If you're going to play with the front bar why not try to match the top radius to the radius of a windscreen and then surface mount a windshield on it.

I've been playing with that idea & have decided that if it's too hard to match the bend in the bar then I will build a fiberglass spacer of the right shape between the bar and the windshield.

I've talked to several glass places and they think the idea is viable. The only issue is deciding upon the proper windshield to use. That's tough because I haven't found a data base anywhere that shows a compendium of windshield sizes. Someone on here mentioned 50's or 60's pick ups and that showed some promise because they have a little wrap around, but it depends upon your car what would look the best.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next