LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: October 17, 2016, 3:30 pm 

First event in the books.

Overall the car ran great and performed very well. Handling balance was exceptional considering it was just the initial setup. The car really had no bad behaviors.

It was not without its issues though. Before my first run the fuel pump died. Thankfully I remembered from someone else's build that the 1989 F150 pump was basically a universal pump so a quick trip to AutoZone got a new pump. I swapped it in about 5 minutes hopped in the car and pulled up for my first run. I was able to get all 6 runs but it was fairly quick and I didn't have time to do to much between runs. I wanted to get some external videos but didn't have time. I ran 6 runs and then a friend ran 2. On his last run the circlip in the clutch master cylinder popped out letting the plunger out loosing all the clutch fluid. That's the only real issue that needs repaired before the next event.

Setup wise I will adjust the rear camber and that's about it. Balance is great and the car doesn't lean at all due to the high ish roll centers and low CG so the no swaybars decision seems to be good. The spring rates seem good as our site is rough but the car never jumped around or lost traction like it was into the bumpstops.

Overall it was a great first day. Result was 2nd Fastest Raw time .047 behind a 2017 911 GT3. It's definitely got more in it as I get used to it and make small setup changes but I'm thrilled that there is no huge issues.

Thanks again for everyone who followed along for so long.

Last edited by nocones on June 13, 2017, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 17, 2016, 5:18 pm 
Always Moore!

Nice work! Sounds like a good first outing.

PostPosted: October 18, 2016, 7:53 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, NoCones!
Great first outing... I mean, nothing broke, fell off or caught fire... What's not to like? :mrgreen:
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 13, 2017, 4:58 pm 

Did a trackday at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet with Chicago Region SCCA. We did the full 3+ mile course. It was amazing, it's a great facility, track and organization. We got 1 hour if track time from 5-8pm. I ran with the intermediate group and everyone was very respectful on track and considerate. Overall it was a great experience.

The car did amazing. On a track it was way faster then I expected. The overall nuetral behavior it showed on an autox course translated well to the big track. Braking was very good and stable. Again the chassis balance was good enough that I could trail brake without any bad behavior. The few times I did overcook entry the car just entered a very nice gentle slide. I also was no where near the limits as nearly every corner I was always able to turn in even more at apex. Maybe next time I will push a little harder. I was most suprised with the machinery I was able to keep up with. Autobahn has many 60-70mph corners and some 120+ mph straights so I expected that with 170hp I would get walked by nearly everything but I was able to hold my own with some high speed cars (E46 M3, C5 Z06, C7 GS). The car had no mechanical issues which was great. By the 3rd session it was definitely getting attention in the pits for how fast I was. Overall I just couldn't be more pleased with how well something I built and designed from scratch did. Best lap appears to be in the 2:59.2XX range. I will for sure do more trackdays.
This video is my 2nd and 3rd lap from session 3. 3rd lap appears to be the quickest I ran.

PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 3:03 pm 

The midget looks, and sounds, like a blast! It's also awesome that the suspension has worked so well straight out of the box. You've done good!! That must be a VERY rewarding feeling. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 4:34 pm 

That thing's just looks so cool with the huge flares and big tires, I love it. Congrats on a good track day to, looks and sounds great.
Kristian

PostPosted: June 15, 2017, 11:52 pm 
Always Moore!

Glad to see you're still at it. It looks like a blast.

PostPosted: July 9, 2018, 5:12 pm 

Another trackday and another update.

Lots of time has past sense the last update. No big changes just tuning and alignment. Car has been pretty reliable.

I chased a coolant loss issue for a while. It would loose about a cup of Colant every heat cycle. I have two caps 1 at 18psi 1 at 13. What I figured out was that the coolant would leave out the 13psi one that was plumbed to the overflow but the other wasn't. When it cooled it would just suck air in the 18psi cap. I routed both to the coolant overflow and that seems to have fixed it.

This weekend I ran Grattan in Michigan with 3 balls racing. It is a great track and they are a good group. The car was reliable and drove really nice. I ended up running for about 1.5 hours with no issues. Ran 2 sessions of 25 min each on Hoosier A7s and they never over heated. My best time was a 1:30.504. overall a great event.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/FEwEMu5IaSs[/youtube]

Next up is finish the seat covers and then decide if I am going to paint it. The rest of the year looks like 2 more trackdays and a few autoxes. I'm not doing nationals this year so I have some vacation available to maybe do a bit farther away track. I promise an update less then a year from now.

PostPosted: September 28, 2020, 4:29 pm 

nocones wrote:
I promise an update less then a year from now.

Fail.

I did a trackday a few weeks ago with Gridlife. As I've been making videos of things I took this chance to do a walkaround of the MG so I thought I would post it up here for those interested.

https://youtu.be/f7btRqu260Y

The car remains reliable and capable and unpainted. It's probably at this point "Finished" and will just get minor mods and maintenance as I build the next one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17