LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next
PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 4:41 am 
Locostering Information Liaison

request
Quote:
you'll have to stop calling me MoNti at some point

Quote:
Son of a b*tch!

How is that for change?

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

PostPosted: May 9, 2009, 11:07 am 
Weight watcher

Things look different on the receiving end :ack:

Moti :wink:

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: May 13, 2009, 4:12 pm 

lol i wasnt refering to Moti when i said "son of a b***"... I was more or less an expression used to convey disgust with myself i guess.

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 7:39 am 

I am having progress withdraws, please post.

PostPosted: May 25, 2009, 1:23 pm 

Haha I have some pics I need to post.

I bought another R6 shock for the rear. When it comes in the entire rear inboard suspension will be done. I just need to brace some areas still.

I finished the 2-1 part of the exhaust and welded in my O2 sensor bung. I haven't figured out how I want to exit the exhaust or the mufflers to use but ill probably split it and have dual outlets. For now its far enough that I can start the motor and make peoples ears bleed lol

I have started to sort out, extend, and bunch the wiring for the motor. I made a tray for the battery to sit in also. Right now I can just connect the leads and pretty much fire it up. Only one problem still though. There are two wires that got their terminal ripped off. Still have to sort out what they are for.

To get to a rolling chassis I need to:
-finish the rear differential and its carrier
-finish front left A-arms
-finish fabrication of inboard front suspension
-widen the steering rack (about 3/4")
-fabricate steering rack mounts and install the rack

To get a rolling and driving chassis I need to:
-weld in floor plan under seats.
-rivet in rest of aluminum floor pan (still might go steel)
-finish the paddle shift setup
-install and hook up cable operated clutch pedal
-buy/install/plumb brake system
-do simple wiring for brake lights and gauges
-seal gas tank
-mount wheels lol

I'm probably missing a few things here and there, but I'm really starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Its going to be hard to keep up progress once its driveable lol.

I just need to fire up the motor to refuel my motivation. Its been such a quick build while doing school(14 credits) and work(35hrs a week) at the same time that I'm feeling a bit burned out. I just need to feel it move. I need to feel the need to do the Dave H. dance!

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 11:18 am 

Well i just ordered the sealer for my gas tank. With the steel sheet i had laying around, $47 in sealer (shipped), and $2.14 in hinges for the baffled trap doors, I now have a tank that is around 8-10 gallons. Once it is sealed i will test it to see how much it actually holds. I really didnt want to test it with water and promote surface rust.

This is the sealer i ended up with:
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Large-C ... _7-32.html

PostPosted: June 1, 2009, 3:09 pm 

studying for a test now but here are some updated pictures. The gas tank took forever to seal but its 100% done now. Just need to dump some gas into it, wire up the battery, and fire the motor!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 15, 2009, 12:12 am 

well after a long summer of work, boating, and endless traveling i have finally started working on the car again and it feels so good. I know an update is worthless without pictures but ill cover that tomorrow...
What i got done:
-welded in a one piece 16ga steel floor. i was going to do aluminum but opted not to because this car will mostly see street driving and with 3in of GC i dont need thing coming through the floor lol
-mounted the '98 mustang steering rack and pinion with brackets that bolt to the frame so that i can dial in to avoid bump steer using washers. Also considering two alternative holes, one for and one aft on each side, to provide different ackerman.
-welded up and installed the steering linkage. There are 3 u-joints to clear the feet so i used a 3/4" spherical rod end as a mid support.
-cut and added material to make the steering rack 1 1/8" wider to match the suspension to avoid bump steer.
-modified the front of the frame to mount the shocks a whole different way.

Ill post pictures tomorrow after work and school to show the progress. For only 2.5 days of work i feel i have come a long way. Next is to modify the tie rods to accept my setup, mold another carbon seat, weld up the left side front a-arms (right side is done), and mount and weld the shocks and bell cranks. After that it will be a rolling and turning chassis! Next after that is the rear differential work. Beyond that its all the small fun things like wiring and the brake system. I can see some light at the end of the tunnel to get it running. My realistic time frame is to have it driveable minus body work and such by Christmas. That will be the one year anniversary of the time i started the frame.

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 9:04 am 

Awsome! Did you get if fired up yet? Or did I miss that?
PooK

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 9:31 am 

Not yet. It will turn over all day but won't fire. Some bikes will run without a tach and some won't. I'm waiting on the wiring harness that connects to the tach... Its in the mail. Hopefully when the harness comes in, the tach is hooked up, and the battery is charged it will fire. I rode the bike before it got parted out so I know it runs fine lol.

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 11:41 am 

Cool, does the R1 have the roll over relay I've read about on others? I haven't taken my harness out to look yet.
PooK

PostPosted: September 16, 2009, 11:54 am 

what year? yamaha ones usually look like this:

PostPosted: September 28, 2009, 10:19 pm 

Well im about due for an update. I plan to rework the rear rocker arm suspension after the knowledge gained from the front. I have 4in of wheel travel with the R6 shock from wide open to shaved bumpstop. From here i will install hypercoil springs to get the correct wheel rate.

Anyways read the descriptions above each picture for explanations. Sorry for the low quality of pictures, but my camera broke :BH:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by blue devil on October 2, 2009, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 28, 2009, 10:32 pm 

The above pictures are merely updates and not finished products. I still plan to add some bracing in the front for the suspension along with two side shear panels. Also this weekend ill be adding the bracing into the floor for the passenger seat.

Also bought some wheel adapters and tuner lugs because regular ones wont fit in my wheels. My wheels backspacing is just over a half inch off of the backspacing of the stock miata wheels (my front hubs are miatas) so i was able to find some 3/4in converters. While ill be a 1/4" over stock on each side, its better then 1/2" under on each side. I didnt want to try and rig anything up to work either, so i went the safe and sound direction. In the future i plan to scrap them and machine a hub to fit with a 4x4.5 bolt pattern with a 1/2 spacer. The back wheels dont require them as they are off a 94 RX7 and have the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I got lucky that the wheels have both a 4x4.5 and 5x4.5 bolt pattern!

PostPosted: October 4, 2009, 10:37 pm 

Well i got a good amount done this weekend. The frame from the seats forward is basically done with the exception of the shear panels which will be installed after paint. I have my Wilwood dual MC brake pedal coming this week, and I will fabricate a clutch pedal.

As for the rear i am redoing the pushrod suspension with the 2007-2008 R1 suspension triangles and 2003-2005 style R6 shocks. I like the design of these with the large needle bearings much better then making my own bronze oillite bushings for the R6 triangles. After the pushrod suspension is modified I have to make up some differential carrier plates in Catia, get them CNC'd, and the differential will be installed. Basically from here all i had to do is wrap the chain around and i have power to the wheels.

Really from here on out its a lot of the smaller tedious projects like the inboard rear brake setup, routing the entire brake system, extending the motorcycle wiring harness to be car friendly, and setting up all the requirements for street legal status. I plan to go into the Secretary of State (DMV for you non Michiganders) to apply for a title. From this point i will have 8 week wait to meet with a State cop for inspection. I figure im about 10-12 weeks out from street legal status.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next