LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 27, 2020, 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
PostPosted: July 2, 2013, 5:39 pm 

Some shake down laps with the car. Cant wait to get the suspension tuned into my liking and replace the street tires with slicks!

My girlfriend gets so excited for trackdays and riding passenger, I knew I made a two seater for a good reason!

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: July 2, 2013, 6:08 pm 
Toyotaphobe

NICE UNDIES!

Without going back through and searching, is your shifter one of those air type of bang shifter?

The reason I ask is that the downshifts seem to be brutal especially in one gear.

BTW, I'm most jealous.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 2, 2013, 6:45 pm 

Running a CO2 powered shifter with a 3/4" cylinder, 1" stroke each direction, and regulated down to 100psi. Up shifts are clutchless and downshifts are using the clutch.

Don't know exactly what is brutal about them? Are you referring to the shift from Neutral to First in the pits? If so this engine has always had a hard N-1 shift as have all the 04-06 R1's I have ever rode. Maybe it's the early downshifts and lack of corner speed you notice, which is me playing it safe and avoiding a scenario which might run me into the grass? We had an hour long downpour just prior and the grass was more like a swamp ... Which caused most people to leave and grant those of us open track for the remainder of the day!

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: July 2, 2013, 11:30 pm 

I think he is saying that your down shifting is brutal because you are not rev matching or even attempting to, so it seems. You just let up on the gas and downshift, and it really seems like your not even using the clutch most times.
You need "blipper" or you need to start heal toeing or else that tranny will get trashed.
Like this ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWFFccIJckM

PostPosted: July 3, 2013, 12:10 am 

I understand what you are saying, but let me clarify a few things:
1) Only upshifts are clutchless by way of killing spark. I can set delay depending on shift rather than on set value.
2) ALL of my downshifts are made utilizing the clutch. My clutching is not just stabing and letting out, its more of a feathered lazy release.
3) I have a slipper clutch... :cheers:

PostPosted: July 3, 2013, 9:00 am 
Toyotaphobe

The downshifts are harsh enough that in anything other than a completely straight line you'll have the back end step out.

I could detect no rev matching and that's what prompted my question.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 4, 2013, 2:47 am 

O for awesome (Kiwi joke) Looks fantastic. Happy motoring :-) :P

PostPosted: August 13, 2013, 9:11 pm 

Hey Blue Devil,

congrats for this excellent build. And great to see it back on its own wheels! Like the other guys i am jelaous

It seems like you didnt take the 2 year job in Germany?! Well, i took a 3 year job in the States (Ohio) and may move back after my contract. As you found out it is not so easy (or almost impossible) to get a car like yours registered.
Were you able to find out any details or possibillities to get it registered? I am thinking of getting a car here and then take it with me (if i go back).

Thanks
Toby

PostPosted: January 30, 2015, 6:00 pm 

I'll bring this thread back from the dead!

Awesome build, very good job. I am taking on a similar project and was curious if you might share the width dimensions of your diff box (chassis tubes which surrounds diff and a-arms mount to). I want to run kinematics around the suspension parts I plan on using. I do not however have an engine to measure quite yet, and if I run too skinny a diff box, motor won't fit in the chassis.

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26