LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 11, 2024, 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 4:31 pm 

Hi All,

I thought i would post up some details of my project. I'm not sure if it should go in the Non Traditional Log but here goes.

The car is a Stylus. Originally made by Sylva and later taken over by SSC (Stylus sports cars). It has a very similar chassis to a locost 7 style but better aerodynamics.

I bought the car as a bit of a Barn find, there was just a fibre glass body shell and a chassis. Some of the front suspension was present but no rear at all.

I transformed this :

to this:

in a year.

I sourced a blown 13b Turbo Engine from a Turbo II, street ported, rebuilt it and fitted in the car with the Turbo II gearbox, it uses a ford LSD live axle with a disc brake conversion. Microtech ECU. I am still using the stock turbo at the moment and she made 320 bhp and 330 ftlbs and weighs in at about 650 kg, she is still not finished and probably never will be as i will always keep playing with it. Next is more power so the stock turbo is going soon. The car now has a rear wing and and a roof and the interior is a little more complete.

here are few more pics.

Before I did the bodywork.

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 5:04 pm 

Fantastic! Great styling these and I'll bet its great fun with that turbo rotary.

PostPosted: March 19, 2009, 5:19 pm 

Thats a wicked little car!!!

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 2:39 pm 

just beautiful, beautiful :!:
looks like it hauls too...

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52903#52903
over 12 postings!

PostPosted: March 20, 2009, 4:40 pm 

thanks guys, she has 500 bhp and 512 ftlbs torque per tonne , so have found nothing on track that can catch me yet. On my last outing at Rockingham two 911 Carrera GT3 RS's were going round together and they couldnt catch me.

I'm using a 3.09 diff ratio so it will do 80 mph in second gear, 70 mph its cruising at 200 rpm and according to a gear calculator at 6800 rpm she will be doing 195 mph :shock: but i wont be driving it. :puke:

Its mainly a track car but is fully road legal so gets used for the odd sunny day blast but she is a little scary on the road.

I have always had rotaries and rx7's, the next logical step was to put one in a lightweight car. I think the rotary is a perfect engine for a kit car, small, lightweight, loads of revs, cheap to get hold of and 500 bhp is fairly easily achievable with the right mods. Also, the gearboxes that come with them are great and strong enough in a lightweight car.

PostPosted: October 13, 2009, 9:16 pm 

Amazing car, must be a blast!

I'm looking at putting a 13Bish rotary, mid mounted in a NSU 1000.. do you happen to know off hand reasonable package dimensions for the motor?

Thanks for any insight!

PostPosted: May 27, 2010, 7:24 pm 

I have a frame started and now looking for a engine combo. Very interested in your thread it would be nice to know the details of what was done to the engine. That is a great amoount of HP . Love your car what a blast to drive I'm sure. This is my first post just joined. Good luck with your ongoing project. So. central Indiana

PostPosted: May 28, 2010, 9:55 am 
Weight watcher

Any car that spits big flames like that is good in my book :cheers:
Nice job!

Moti

My R1 powered Locost build log

Visit the Blackbird Fabworx Facebook Page!

PostPosted: May 28, 2010, 10:00 am 

FIRE!!!!!!!

:drool: :headbang: