LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 29, 2009, 7:09 am 

Looking good. I'm interested in this build especially as I am planning an SR20 powered middy. Due to my lack of engineering knowledge I have some hurdles also. So, by following your build I am sure I will be able to counter those hurdles.

Looking forward to the next instalments.

Cheers

Ian

PostPosted: October 8, 2009, 11:42 am 

Mom gave me the ultimatum on my donor car... she wants her spot back in the driveway before the snow starts falling. Hey, I agree... it's one less spot to clear out on the street. I'm borrowing an engine hoist, pulling the engine and cutting up the chassis this weekend.

95 525i

PostPosted: October 12, 2009, 12:35 am 

Got it stripped down to bare chassis and cut the roof out. Should have it in manageable pieces by noon tomorrow.

That first cut was a hard one... it's served me well for almost 4 years. Lots of ski trips, lots of sweat and blood put into it.

But this is my favorite part... 75hp of fury!!! :P

95 525i

PostPosted: December 10, 2009, 5:46 pm 

Ok... a bit of a change. I've decided to use the gas engine currently found in my daily driver and replace it with the Turbo Diesel when the weather is warmer. Filling up with unleaded every week vs filling up with diesel every other week (that per/litre is cheaper than unleaded) makes a heck of a lot more sense on a daily driver.

Otherwise, not much of an update.

95 525i

PostPosted: April 17, 2010, 12:44 pm 

Well...

Studies and Formula SAE have been taking up most of my time, but I began cleaning up and de-powering the VW steering rack. Nothing special, just emptying the PS fluid, removing the tire rods and removing most of the grime built up from 250 000 km of service. Overall, it's in great shape and the design looks like it can be shortened if needed should I switch to more of a 7 vs the middy planned.

Lots of work left before I can even begin building as a significant portion of the garage is occupied by the parts from my donor... I really have to get those out ASAP. After exams I should be taking inventory of what I have and selling most of it.It feel like I'm :BH:

95 525i

PostPosted: April 18, 2010, 12:29 am 

AK Seven wrote:
Well...

Studies and Formula SAE have been taking up most of my time,

looks like there are two of us then. Which comp are you guys attending?

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: April 18, 2010, 1:09 am 

Hehe... basically from the moment we got the car ready and running on April 3rd, I've been in exam mode in order to catch up on lecture content that I've missed since, well, February to be honest. Just one more week and I'll be free. Just Thermo I, Environmental Sustainability & Stewardship, and Ethics in Engineering left (I think, I just know them by course numbers).

We're registered for Michigan and Cali... with hopes of finding the funding to go to Australia in December. Half of our team is graduating, so they want to go all out, knowing that we (the 2nd year guys) are considering a 2-year build for the next one with the amount of rookies we'll have.

95 525i

PostPosted: August 31, 2010, 11:50 pm 

Well, I've spent most of the summer working and fixing the daily driver so that it can last a couple more years. I've got a couple of free days before school starts (and another FSAE build begins) where I'm hoping to get some of my napkin sketches into CAD. I might also be picking up an alternate powerplant in the coming days, but will still remain in the VW family. Someone locally is selling a VR6 and would be an excellent engine choice as it shifts the weight forward and more importantly has lots of power and a glorious soundtrack. We'll see... worse case, I'll go back to running the turbo-diesel.

95 525i

PostPosted: September 3, 2010, 9:13 am 

Get going so I can coppy it :P I have a 83 GTI with a turbo ABA that makes 370whp and 300tq. It runs a 11.9@124mph. I am thinking that would make a nice set up like your building.

PostPosted: September 8, 2010, 10:13 pm 

erm... dunno how to say this, but my project may have hit a detour. My buddy just gave me the Chevy small block we pulled out of his Camaro tonight. He will also have a scrap/parts 86 Camaro, which I might end up using in something along the lines of a Cobra. Yes, with Chevy-power! Oh, the sacrilege!!! OR, stay mid-engined and bolt it up to an Audi gearbox for something like a GT40... the possibilities are endless.

95 525i

PostPosted: September 9, 2010, 11:16 am 

VW diesel to small block chevy...that's one heck of a jump.

PostPosted: September 10, 2010, 2:02 pm 

Flipper_1938,

Or just seriously confused! Chopped up a car for nuthing maybe? It's what happends when a project isn't planned out to the end. I understand this completly though, I am the worst for doing this exact kinda thing. But in my case I have six or seven presently unfinnished projects just begging for attention.

Mark.

PostPosted: September 10, 2010, 3:48 pm 

Nah, the Jetta was done... the floors were gone, rear suspension was toast and with the parts that I've already sold, I've made more money than simply scrapping it. The project will still continue to be developed in CAD and other simulation software, but I will focus on my Formula SAE work and something with the SBC in the meantime.

edit: Honestly, I probably have undiagnosed ADD. I have this "Cool, I want to build one of those too!" And so the bucket list keeps growing and growing. The SBC was just a spur of the moment deal after helping my buddy pull it out of his Camaro. I did a bit of digging for engine info and it's not of the more desirable 305s and looks like it was already a replacement for the original. It looks like a 78/79 Mexican production block that was installed in an 85. Since I have so many key components to many projects, I'll be doing a cost analysis tonight to determine which project I will focus on. For all I know, I might keep the SBC and drop it into a pickup.

95 525i

PostPosted: September 11, 2010, 12:29 am 

AK Seven,

Oh I wouldn't rule that 305 out as a weak engine. I have a bubby that does some serious drag racing and he ran a two bolt main 305 engine for a while. We actually tried to blow this engine up for about six months drag racing it. The 305 had a nitrous setup and man we went through some juice. For a while there he was even hitting it with nitous at takeoff. Scarry enough for me not to want to ride with him. The darn engine never blew and he sold it just to get it outta the way. The buyer knew what he was getting and still bought it. Those 305's have thick cylinder walls. All I can say is that chevy parts are everywhere and ebay is loaded with em. The camaro rear end, uprights, brakes and ball joints are easy to work with too. If you chose to stay with the chevy stuff I think you will be surprized at how simple and cost effective the aftermarket parts are. Oppertunity is knocking! And chevy high performance parts work well. I have a Vortec 350 out of a one ton truck on my engine stand now. Also have a complete 1985 caprice in the yard. It sure is hard not to chang my mind and just thow the chevy parts into a seven. No, but I'm hard headed and trying to fit this 1996 32 valve ford engine in my project. Going the chevy route would be so much cheaper and less confusing! :ack: :chev:

Mark........