LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brad's Rocket build.
PostPosted: May 27, 2009, 1:05 pm 
Always Moore!

Looks great....can't wait to see more.

PostPosted: June 15, 2009, 7:39 pm 

Well, after LeMons I can get back to working on the car again. I hung the a-arms.

Stripped, cleaned, and painted the Cortina hubs.

One of the front wheel bearings in the front was bad. Its the little one.... i did some digging and here is what i came up with for Ford Cortina hub bearings:

Outer cone bearing # LM11749 / Cup LM11710

Inner cone bearing # L44649 / Cup L44610

cite sources.... http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view ... forum_id=8
verified by the NTN catalog and my measuring stick. http://www.ntnamerica.com/pdf/A1000/A1000IX_Tapered.pdf

So, I was gonna use Dzus fasteners to attach the rear engine cover, but as you can see it is not a good application for them. I am no wondering what direction to take here. I am thinking along the lines of an elastic strap at 4 locations, or a metal attachment point, like a fire extinguisher strap. I'll think about it some more and bounce any ideas off you guys. Some time in the McMaster catalog is warranted....

Focus is still not out of gas either. Maybe by Thursday? The thing gets really good millage when your not thrashing it.

-Brad

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 7:08 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Weld a tab(rhs or bent .125" strip) to offset the dzus tab.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 4:55 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
Weld a tab(rhs or bent .125" strip) to offset the dzus tab.

ehh... chassis is already power coated. I'm not so naive that i don't think i'll have to weld on it, but I'd like to put it off as long as possible. I do like that idea though. I think I'm just going to fasten the weld on tabs using screws or rivets. I believe that will be adequate.

Thanks!

PostPosted: June 16, 2009, 5:43 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Lookin' good, Brad! I like the videos! :lurking:

I'm confused why you have to figure out how to mount the cover. Isn't that the whole purpose of a kit...so you don't have to figure things out? How did the designer mount the cover?

Keep at it,
-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 6:53 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Your welcome!

Here is a clamp-on using a stainless clamp. The brackets could be powder coated cheaply. Put the clamp screw on the inside so it can be accessed only with the cover off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 9:06 am 

One other alternative which will not affect the powder coated frame is to drill and tap the frame for the dzus bracket such as this:
Attachment:
dzus.JPG

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 17, 2009, 2:52 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
One other alternative which will not affect the powder coated frame is to drill and tap the frame for the dzus bracket such as this:
Attachment:
dzus.JPG

That would get my vote....if I got to vote.

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 2:01 pm 

dhempy wrote:
Lookin' good, Brad! I like the videos! :lurking:

I'm confused why you have to figure out how to mount the cover. Isn't that the whole purpose of a kit...so you don't have to figure things out? How did the designer mount the cover?

Keep at it,
-dave

Well, yes and no. At this pricepoint its less complete than the 25k caterham. I dont mind problem solving, but I didn't want to design a frame, calculate suspension curves, measure a gazillion parts, etc. I try to think of it as a huge jump start.

rx7locost wrote:
Attachment:
dzus.JPG

This is pretty much what I'm doing for now. If I had to pick a part of the car i like the least, it the damn cover. It just looks out of place and like a afterthought almost. Sooo... it may go away, be heavily modified, or used as is temporally while i make another, once the car is going of course.

more work pulling apart the focus tonight.... fun stuff. :BH:

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 10:18 pm 

golftdibrad wrote:

This is pretty much what I'm doing for now. If I had to pick a part of the car i like the least, it the damn cover. It just looks out of place and like a afterthought almost. Sooo... it may go away, be heavily modified, or used as is temporally while i make another, once the car is going of course.

more work pulling apart the focus tonight.... fun stuff. :BH:

Stripping a parts car IS fun.....at least for me. I love tearing stuff apart. I get new ideas on how things should/should not be built. ....and look for cool small items that may have a use for, that I had not considered when I bought the parts car (switches, knobs, light, cables, hinges, latches, specialty fasteners, formed sheetmetal shapes...etc)

PostPosted: June 23, 2009, 10:53 pm 

Last week the gas ran out the car, so i needed an easy, one night project that de-commissioned the focus.

I kinda want to mount a ps2 controller just to throw passers by off.

My steering fit fine, thank goodness. The only thing was the M6 holes were clearanced to roughly M8 to use stock style/available hardeware.
The car has tilt and telescope, and vroom vroom noises were made.

Today I started to disassemble the the car more aggressively. The turbo kit is being traded for a Jackson racing roots blower kit. I was going to pull the turbo today, but it turns out there is ONE bolt that you just cant get to with the turbo mounted to the mani. But... you can with the PS bracket removed. So the plan is to now pull the drivetrain, split the motor form the tranny, and remove all that stuff (that's coming off anyway) and get said bolt off. That should happen over the course of this week and be finished by Saturday.

The radiator form a US spec foci, as expected since they all have ac, does not fit since the kit is for a non-ac car. A junkyard trip is in order armed with some measurements.

I have decided to part out the focus. When I'm tired (or my neighbors!) of looking at it I'll sell it to a salvage yard if they give me some cash.... if not the sawzall will be broken out.

Buying stuff... did alot of that too. I got me some Dzus for the cover and hood. ordered hubs and wheel bearings for the rear. Got a replacement bearing for the front. ordered brake rotors. Should have all the parts at least for the 4X100 re drilling operation in a week or so. I was thinking 6UL's for wheels.... http://949racing.com/index.asp?PageActi ... ategory=33

Thats it for now... for the next few weeks I'll likely be elbow deep in focus dis assembly.

-Brad

PostPosted: June 24, 2009, 6:53 am 

Looking Great Brad, I have a set of 6UL's for my Locost they are great wheels.

Post subject: I haz broke it.
PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 8:36 pm 

The focus, that is.

This is by far, far, far the most dirty car I have ever worked on, mostly due to PO issues. A solid two layers of PCV/oil/road grime was on everything, and places where it could build up need wire brushing. The below, semi final result is after several hours and the better part of 2 cans of engine degreaser. Much improved.

parts shelf starting

turbo, radiator ac condenser/compressor

lots of pipe.

How it sits now. I'm going to try and drop it off stands (since i don't want to mess with the focus much for a week or so) so it looks like a car tomorrow.
not getting much action on the part out....

I have also found the major oil leak, in the pan. the front and rear mains are not leaking, and frankly starting to change out parts is a slippery slope and used motors are 500 bucks. Based on that, I dont even think I'm gonna split the trans from the engine.

Tired. Hands hurt. Going to go watch new Top Gear.
-Brad

Post subject: Re: I haz broke it.
PostPosted: June 28, 2009, 10:52 pm 

Great progress... I'll be in the same boat picking the donor apart once I get my daily driver rolling again.

golftdibrad wrote:
Tired. Hands hurt. Going to go watch new Top Gear.

Grab a cold one while you're at it an enjoy. It makes the hands feel soooo much better. :wink:

95 525i

PostPosted: July 5, 2009, 9:33 pm 

no pics today from the weekends work.

Most of the weekend was spent tearing down the donor to the bare shell. 90% there. Sold alot of stuff for a good amount of money today. Might have the suspension sold. I definitely have it off if it were not to the bonehead previous owner that ran the lugs on with an impact. Broke tools, am pissed. Drills come out tomorrow. That is such a stupid thing to do... when will people learn?

I was REALLY hot. I am beat. Can't wait till this is done and I can get back to working on the car itself.

-Brad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next