LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Brad's Rocket build.
PostPosted: April 22, 2011, 12:15 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Brad said:
Quote:
I will tell my friend that. If you have any tips or sources for atlas parts he'll appreciate you very much.

Sorry, Brad, you were caught in the middle of a "Lime Green" joke. I don't know anything about Atlas lathes. I can give him some green paint...

10-4, started to check out your build thread and thought that might be what was up, :D

PostPosted: April 22, 2011, 3:49 pm 

golftdibrad wrote:
THIS KIT SHOULD NOT BE USED ON RAD VEHICLES. Furthermore, the AN-3 flex lines declared that "FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY, NOT DOT APPROVED" My view on that is Stainless lines don't rust and if AN lines are good enough for racecars, the FAA, and the military I'll take my chances.

That's the way most everyone else feels, too.

The DOT has a whole list of tests that they require brake lines pass. The AN flexline comfortably exceeds every test except one - the so-called "whip" test. It's not really something you have to worry about on an installed line. I finally figured out what the test was for when a friend dropped a brake caliper while changing pads. It yanked the line at an angle and kinked the inner liner, which then failed under pressure.

A couple of companies do make flex-fittings that allow AN flexlines to pass the whip test, but they're expensive, and most racers view the extra sealy bits as just another place for failure.

PostPosted: April 22, 2011, 4:06 pm 

I bought DOT approved stainless brake lines from Speedway Motors. A pair of lines with banjo ends, 2 mounting tabs and clips for $49.98.

JMR

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: April 22, 2011, 4:41 pm 

The only difference I have seen on a DOT approved braided line is a plastic sleeve that extends out to even out the pressure from the whip test. The sleeve also prevents the line from making too sharp a turn or the crimp from cutting the braiding if it is worked close to its limits. I don't think you will have any issues with the non dot stuff. I did buy some dot approved lines for my WRX and I remember paying about $100 for all 4. But, my memory isn't great and that was over 7 years ago.

PostPosted: April 23, 2011, 9:39 pm 

So, did lots of random projects today. First on the list: gas. The suplied fuel tank look kinda small to me so I measured it. It will hold 6.5-7 gallons. Assuming a cruise mpg of 30, that a decent range of 180 miles or so. Thrashing..lets say 10 mpg (this is realistic based on the miata....) so thats 60 miles. Motorcycles do about that and this is like a big bike so i'll roll with it.

So we have to extend the focus fuel.....thing to fit the deeper tank. THe instructions say to use 6mm threaded rod but here in 'amerika we use 1/4-20 like a boss.

Also took of the steering for the LAST time (hopefully) to paint it.

That is about as long as it gets and its just enough. I am worried about leaks. If this all sucks the car will get a standard return style fuel system, MAP/VE tuning via megasquirt, and an FIA fuel cell with extreme quickness.

(TWSS)

The 'extender' to get the transmission at the right height is weak sauce now with no sleeves and open ends. Been on the to do list for awhile.

and now its on the 'DONE' list

Other things I did that are not pictured: I took out the seats and sliders to paint where i welded them in, drilled all the holes in the drivers seat, cleaned floor of the car, made a list of hardware to order, and flipped the brake calipers in the rear right side up.

This is actually interesting, I'm not going to use the handbrake setup. I'm going to use a manual line lock for a parking brake. I don't need 'emergency' brakes since I have to completely independent hydraulic circuits with independent fluid reservoirs. the only way the brakes could fail is if the pedal breaks and if that happens your pretty much boned anyway.

So....maybe some more work tomorrow, but maybe not. Definitely more this week :D

PostPosted: November 3, 2011, 2:40 pm 

I called uncle and sold this, just FYI.

PostPosted: November 4, 2011, 9:40 am 
The voice of reason

So what happened? Please get uncle to sigh up so we can follow along... :cheers:

Good luck, perhaps you'll get back here some day.
:)

PostPosted: November 6, 2011, 12:41 am 

horizenjob wrote:
So what happened? Please get uncle to sigh up so we can follow along... :cheers:

Good luck, perhaps you'll get back here some day.
:)

A guy on exocars.net contacted me about the same time I bought the matrix motors pro-type, and after some conversation we struck a deal. I had originally intended to finish the car, but it became immediately apparent that I needed to remove an iron from the fire. I told him about this site, I bet he shows up if he is not already a member.

As far as 'getting back here' I dont think i ever left. This seems to be a board with intelligent, driven sports car enthusiasts that want to build cool stuff from scratch. I personally dont have the time and resources at this point in my life to undertake a full home build, but mad props to those who do. I will make a thread about the matrix soon and stay active to help the community build better cars.

Then end goal for everyone her is to have a vehicle that provides super-car performance for the price of a honda civic. I will continue to try and further that goal.

-Brad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6