If you redesign the rear uprights, consider mounting the outboard end of the shock directly to the upright. That gets rid of all bending loads on the lower arm and bearings.
I will consider this. I don't want to get on the slippery slope of redesigning every little part I dont find 100% adequate to get on the road. I think the design is flawed but the guys in merry ol' England have not had any issues I know of yet with them. I'll focus on the big issues now, stuff that prevents motion.
See, I have a buddy that is a mini trucker and fellow engineer that has a problem. On his little Toyoda, once he was on airbags it was cool.... but then he wanted to do a V8 swap. Then 22's. At some point he realized he need to re-notch the frame....and that really cant be done. Soo.... he was looking at a custom backhalf. Well then he said scew it and is in the middle of a frame swap... the truck bac goes back on this week. It started as an engine swap!
Based on this, I just want to get it driving and then I'll work on other stuff probably until I sell it or die, lol.
Now for updates:
So, wow it has been forever since I've has a change to work on the car. Life get in the way i guess. But despite feeling like crap for the last two weeks (alergies..oak trees are in bloom) I got my butt in the garage saturday and worked on the brakes.
The fronts dont really come with directions per say, but they are pretty self explanatory. The only issue I had was the spacer washer for the Rally design parts was a little small; probably due to the difference between standard and metric. While I didn't have a drill to clearance the hole, weirdly enough I had the right tool.... a reamer. Reamed those suckers out and they fit like a champ.
Still need to flip the e-brake brackets, will do tomorrow.
Other: I beat on my bent wheel relentlessly with a dead blow hammer and a piece of wood. I think I got most of the bend out.... if the tire is dismounted the rest will be easy, but it may balance anyway.
In other news on of the jam nuts for the tie rod ends is frozen on. PB blaster failed. Next is the heat wrench. If that fails, me and Mr. dremel will spend some quality time cutting the nut off with the hope of not damaging the treads....much.
So nice to be working on it again in a CLEAN garage.