LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: March 5, 2010, 3:03 pm 
We are Slotus!

b-t wrote:
I'm comfortable with my lack of understanding. When I feel sad I go eat a burrito, and everything seems better!
:cheers:
BT

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm looking for that perfect taco myself...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 9, 2011, 11:31 pm 

Pook, I have to ask: How much did you have into the build before you sold it? How much just for the steel? I don't normally dig the exo look, but this one is HOT! Maybe it's just the three wheels... :wink:

Thanks

Chris

PostPosted: August 10, 2011, 6:15 pm 

pook wrote:
The FIRST bend however is a bear! counting, checking to see if it matches, roll some more, check, etc....
The temp wood jig helps me compare the bends to the pvc and let me sit in it before I started wasting tube.....

This should become a sticky for BRILLIANCE!

Seriously.

PostPosted: August 10, 2011, 9:35 pm 

Thanks Chris!
I have no clue on this one and that is the truth, I was building it for myself so I would order something then hide the receipt or toss it before my wife could start to calculate what I was spending... :boxing:
And I made a lot of the parts I couldn't afford, so who knows?
PooK

PostPosted: August 10, 2011, 9:43 pm 

This one is the most exciting design of anything I've seen on the net. In person it is even nicer. The welds have been ground down so the car looks like one piece of metal that is webbed. AWESOME!!! If I had to guess I would think there is somewhere around $10k in parts. It might be lower or higher, but that's my guess.
:)
BT

PostPosted: July 28, 2012, 11:20 am 

Hi, new here and trying to do as much research as possible. I know this is a very old thread but I missed how you mounted the engine.

PostPosted: July 31, 2012, 1:52 pm 

como1jefe wrote:
I know this is a very old thread but I missed how you mounted the engine.

:shock: :shock: I don't want to know!

PostPosted: July 31, 2012, 2:54 pm 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
como1jefe wrote:
I know this is a very old thread but I missed how you mounted the engine.

:shock: :shock: I don't want to know!

I gotta go back and look at this log again... Musta been one heckuva sexy engine! :shock:

JD "Take just ANY cheap shot" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 22, 2014, 5:02 pm 

The trike is up for sale. Sadly, I have much more spent on the project than I could ever hope to recover, but if anyone is interested in Pook's masterpiece, give me a call. 770-364-1554.

:ack:
BT

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 3, 2014, 1:40 pm 

The trike is sold.

BT

PostPosted: May 5, 2014, 11:42 am 

b-t wrote:
The trike is sold.

BT

... and so Part III begins. lol

Got the car home late Saturday night and spent Sunday catching up around the yard.

Did spend some time just staring at the car, and particularly the rear (and yes, sat in it and made the required motorboat sound)

A question popped in my head - I don't see any easy way to adjust the tension on the chain between the motor and the jack shaft.

This is a really poor pic I took from a video I recorded yesterday - i'm at work now with no access to the car.
Attachment:
photo.PNG

The jack shaft is essentially in place of one of the pivot bolts on the swing arm, and is fixed to the swing arm. The only way to get it closer to the engine would be to adjust the two big heims, which is not possible with the swing arm mounted. Am I missing something obvious?

Seems like the jack shaft should be able to slide towards/away from the engine for minor tension adjustment. I know it has to be on the center of rotation for swing arm, but needs a little adjustment for proper tension, right? Or am I overlooking something?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 5, 2014, 5:47 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Tensioner on the bottom/slack-side similar to this with a hardened steel idler sprocket.

I would be using one but I chose to make the swing arm adjustable.

You can buy them new from Mcmaster in several styles but they are not cheap. The idler is reasonable at about $20. Have to know the bike chain pitch to select the right industrial sized sprocket.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: May 5, 2014, 6:32 pm 

I think R1 sprockets are 530.

I was hoping to avoid a tensioner, but I'll think it through and see if I can find a way to provision some kind of electric reverse in there while i'm at it.

PostPosted: May 5, 2014, 9:02 pm 

Whadaya talkin' about? You've got a roll bar, that's the same reverse gear I have :-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: May 22, 2014, 2:30 pm 

Mazda, I also thought you might be able to glean some information from this other thread for the vehicle:
http://exocars.net/showthread.php?t=3809

In case you didn't get the text, the smaller rear wheel is from www.americanmuscle.com and should have a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Hope all is well, my daughter appreciates having the extra room between our cars in the garage!

BT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9