LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RKing1 (R1 BEC like DSR)
PostPosted: June 25, 2011, 2:37 pm 

A mid-engine, rwd, 1000cc powered, 2 person side by side, under 1000lbs chassis is the end product that I wanted when I started dreaming up this project.

I used to have a 2006 CBR 600 F4i and loved the feel of the wind, sound of the engine, and sure speed that went along with it but never felt totally comfortable on 2 wheels. Also, I got tired of the crouched-over position that you ride in. My custom F4i:

How I bought it

My dream to reality

I had a lot of fun building that bike and loved hearing the compliments when I took it out. So that is what led me to the world of BEC’s. The combination of the speed, sound, and seating position with a flashy, sexy exterior was second to none. I started looking up how people were making motorcycle engines work in cars and it somehow led me to Blue Devil's Build. That’s when I started to think my dream could become reality. A guy in his garage building a BEC and it didn’t seem that expensive. So, a major thanks to locostusa and Blue Devil!!

Name of the build – RKing1

The engine –2006 Yamaha R1 I wanted horsepower and new technology. I looked up the hp of the 1000cc engines from the 4 main companies (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki) and had a hard time not going with a Honda because I am a honda guy but Yamaha is steeped in motorcycle tradition and I decided to go with their engine that came in the R1.

The diff – OBX miata LSD.

Sprocket size/chain size – I have no idea This has been one part of the build that I have avoided thinking about because it is just not something that I can easily wrap my brain around. Any suggestions or websites that I can read on what to do here would be great.

Cage/frame – 1.5” x .095” DOM I am going to be building a mock frame out of 2x2’s and then I will bring it to my cage guy for him to build it to my needs and add the proper bends and safety components.

Hub Assemblies – NA/NB Miata front and rears I have owned/raced a few Miatas and my friend currently daily drives one and they seemed to have the alignment that I was looking for to do the suspension the way I wanted it.

Suspension – R6S Shocks/Springs at all 4 corners I am looking to copy the front suspension of many Super 7 builds and the rear is going to be a guessing game once I get to that point.

Steering rack – NA miata non power

Seats – Sparco Sprint V Cheap ($300 a piece) and I like the look.

Brakes – NA Miata rotors and calipers at all 4 corners Just seemed easiest with the miata hubs.

Exhaust – Stock R1 header to an aftermarket muffler TBD Do not have the ability to make my own and this will get me on the road cheap to start.

Wheels – 17 inch lightweight ASA AR1 17x7's Not super light (21 lbs) but price was right, wrapping them in 205/40/17 Fuzion ZRi's

Pedal assembly – EF CRX (88-91) Had one available, cable gas and clutch like the R1 and I prefer the overhung assemblies because that is what I have been driving with all these years. Have cut and welded the pedals shorter.

Gas tank – Fuel cell up in the nose of the build size is approx 18" x 12" x 12" (~10 Gallon).

Shifter – Rod by drivers right knee Was going to go with a paddle shifter set up for the “awesome” factor but really have it inborn to remove my right hand from the wheel when there is a shift.

Fuel Pump – Stock pump Didn’t see a need to do anything different here.

Steering Wheel – Sparco 330mm Suede Love the feel and look.

Gauge Cluster – Stock R1 Love the look of the R1 cluster, a giant tach that goes to 15!

Axles – NB miata

Radiator – Stock radiator from R1 with fans, mounted in front of driver rear wheel

Belts – Basic 4 point race harness

Rearview mirror – Bullet camera in the rear with a screen in cockpit This will be a reverse image camera that will then show a mirror image on the dash display like a rearview mirror would.

Body – Look of a DSR (SCCA class) Like this only it will be a 2 seater

Registered as – Type 2 homebuilt motorcycle in the state of WI Falls under the Type 2 category with “3 or more wheels” and a weight under 1500lbs.

About me – 28 yr old male who loves cars, 2 time SCCA National Champion, and soon to be local legend for this build ;)

Last edited by theman631 on February 3, 2012, 10:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 1:19 am 

Your parts list resembles my build quite alot,I too have used a welded diff but that was in a live axle AE86 solo car.I'm using a vlsd in the home built,even on hoosier slicks I'm having no issues at all with it.I wouldn't bother trying to tune the chassis with a welded,go right to an lsd and don't look backwards.

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 12:03 pm 

I bet the "R" in "RKing" turns to an "F" on occasion! :mrgreen:

you may like to Google 'Warner R4' for some 770lb ideas ...

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 4:21 pm 
Always Moore!

Welcome aboard. :)

Be sure to also check out airframefixer's prototype. It sounds a lot like what you are planning.

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 4:47 pm 

L8 apexr - I will be looking to your build when I hit my next mental block. I remember seeing it when I was paging through the build pages. Good work!

cheapracer - The R hasn't changed yet, but that is because the build is still too new ;) I checked out the Warner R4, awesome. My brother may go that route, he likes the "naked" look.

a.moore - I have gone through many pages of airframefixer's build and will be looking at in many more times when it comes time for me to do the body on mine.

Thanks for checking in guys, I am so excited for the build. I have woken up in the middle of the night thinking about it and cannot wait to get a frame built.

Items that I have so far:

R1 Engine and most of the harness (ECU as well)
Miata hubs and calipers
240 Diff
Fuel pump
Pedals
Seats are on their way
Shocks/Springs are on their way

And, I have my table built!

www.ruggedvid.com - Airborne Recorders, Cameras, and HD Video Systems

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 10:01 pm 

Sounds like a cool project, looking forward to seeing updates! The F4i looks great, you have any pictures of the build, or details on what all you did? I've always loved white bikes (have one myself), never understood why there weren't more of them out there.

PostPosted: June 26, 2011, 10:31 pm 

andrewt - I did not do a build thread, but I did a mini overview here

I too love white bikes. I did yamaha R6 headlights in the F4i housings (took 20 hours) and the other cool thing was the LED's in the passenger foot pegs for my rear signals.

I have spent 10 hours just today thinking/researching/buying stuff/etc for this build! I try to be a good "thread updater" and love input so that the build is right the first time. So glad I found this forum and these guys who are as crazy as I am :)

PostPosted: June 27, 2011, 2:25 pm 

theman631 wrote:

I am so excited for the build. I have woken up in the middle of the night thinking about it and cannot wait to get a frame built.

Well I'm jealous, "woken" implies that you actually slept, I on the other hand go to bed and often just lay there with my brain going flat out and get up again at 2am like right now. Anyway, we could be dead so we should be happy we can get excited about things :wink:

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 11:19 am 

Seats came today!!! Can't wait to get out to the garage and start building the "mock" frame around them.

PostPosted: June 29, 2011, 10:30 pm 

Very cool. I'll have to revisit the Wisconsin DOT page again. I missed the part where you could have four wheels and license it as a motorcycle. I've been planning a trike project for years partially on the basis that it might be easier to license. I'll be watching! :D

PostPosted: June 30, 2011, 11:42 am 

Acerguy - WI DOT Motorcycle Handbook pg 3 it talks about WI Licensing Information. That is where I found it. Fingers crossed it works ;)

Planning a garage visit this evening, pics to follow tomorrow.

PostPosted: June 30, 2011, 12:08 pm 

It would appear that Wisconsin is a bit of a loaner in this classifiction. Note that WI requires a top/convertible for meeting the requirements of this class. I'd guess that you would also have to have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license.

Quote:
(32) "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle, excluding a tractor or an all-terrain vehicle, which is capable of speeds in excess of 30 miles per hour with a 150-pound rider on a dry, level, hard surface with no wind, with a power source as an integral part of the vehicle, and which meets the conditions under par. (a) or (b):

340.01(32)(a) (a) Type 1 is a motor vehicle which meets either of the following conditions:

1. Is designed and built with 2 wheels in tandem and a seat for the operator, and may be modified to have no more than 3 wheels by attaching a sidecar to one side of the wheels in tandem without changing the location of the power source.

2. Is designed and built to have no more than 3 wheels, seating for the operator and no more than 3 passengers, and does not have the operator area enclosed.

(b) Type 2 is a motor vehicle designed and built to have at least 3 wheels in contact with the ground, a curb weight of less than 1,500 pounds, and a passenger and operator area with sides permanently enclosed with rigid construction and a top which may be convertible.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: June 30, 2011, 12:34 pm 

It states that all persons operating a Type 1 motorcycle must have the "M" designation on their license. I have it anyway, so even if there is a requirement for Type 2, I will be ok.

".....and a top which may be convertible. Examples of Type 2 vehicles are motorized golf carts..."

I can throw a golf cart top on there for inspection if they want one ;)

PostPosted: June 30, 2011, 1:13 pm 

I like the idea of having a 2 seater Stohrs look alike on the street. I will definitely be watching this closely.

PostPosted: June 30, 2011, 9:57 pm 

Yeah, I went and found the regs last night. Kinda neat that it can have four wheels!